Following old Route 66

Old July 26th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
bessie

Default Following old Route 66

Hello all

My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
following the old route 66.
I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
way?

Thanks!

Old July 26th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

bessie wrote:
> Hello all
>
> My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
> following the old route 66.
> I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
> way?
>
> Thanks!

In the St. Louis area, be sure to stop for a few minutes at Ted Drewes
Frozen Custard. Great stuff. The "concrete" is so thick you can turn
the container upside down and not lose the treat.

Enjoy the trip.

Old July 26th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
ms.smith

morticide wrote:
> bessie wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
> > following the old route 66.
> > I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
> > way?
> >
> > Thanks!

> In the St. Louis area, be sure to stop for a few minutes at Ted Drewes
> Frozen Custard. Great stuff. The "concrete" is so thick you can turn
> the container upside down and not lose the treat.
>
> Enjoy the trip.

As we will be stopping in St. Louis I will certainly check it out!
Thanks!

Old July 26th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Billzz

"bessie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all
>
> My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
> following the old route 66.
> I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
> way?
>
> Thanks!

Google on "route 66" and you get a bunch. Here's one.

http://www.historic66.com/

I went from Oklahoma to California (mostly) on 66 in the 1950s. From 1980s
to 2000s commuted from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz Jubilee and
sometimes got to touch 66, which is mostly Interstate 40 now. You can get
books which show the interesting points, from the gift shops on 66. I had a
good one, but one of my sons has it. Odly enough, my singing group is to
sing "Route 66" for a fall festival, this year.

Old July 26th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
ms.smith

Billzz wrote:
> "bessie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hello all
> >
> > My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
> > following the old route 66.
> > I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
> > way?
> >
> > Thanks!

> Google on "route 66" and you get a bunch. Here's one.
>
> http://www.historic66.com/
>
> I went from Oklahoma to California (mostly) on 66 in the 1950s. From 1980s
> to 2000s commuted from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz Jubilee and
> sometimes got to touch 66, which is mostly Interstate 40 now. You can get
> books which show the interesting points, from the gift shops on 66. I had a
> good one, but one of my sons has it. Odly enough, my singing group is to
> sing "Route 66" for a fall festival, this year.

Cool! Jazz band I take it??
Great site, thanks!
I have a couple places I want to stop at, I want to stay at the El
Rancho Hotel in Gallup, it just looks too cool....

Old July 26th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

New Mexico offers an interesting opportunity to drive some of a really
old (pre-1937) alignment that goes up to Santa Fe and down to Belen.
Some of it around Algodones has been supplanted rather than physically
subsumed by newer roads, so you can still actually drive something
resembling the thing itself; and in general eastern NM is a place where
it's easy to recapture the feel of a day gone by when America was
emptier and long-distance car travel was more of an adventure.

Of course, if you took that loop, you'd want to backtrack through
Albuquerque for the period and neo-retro Americana along Central
Avenue. For more information, see
http://www.rt66nm.org/MAPS/citymap.html

Another big northerly loop takes you from Seligman, AZ up through the
Supai country and down to a reunion with I-40 at Kingman.

You'll find bits and pieces just off I-40 throughout western NM and
especially northern AZ -- a number of towns proclaim themselves to be
an "Arizona Main Street City." See for instance
http://www.route66usa.com/arizona.html

Drive safe -- sounds like both the trip and the background reading are
going to be interesting!

Cheers,
--Joe

Old July 27th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Billzz

"Billzz" > wrote in message
> "bessie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hello all
>>
>> My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
>> following the old route 66.
>> I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
>> way?
>>
>> Thanks!

> Google on "route 66" and you get a bunch. Here's one.
>
> http://www.historic66.com/
>
> I went from Oklahoma to California (mostly) on 66 in the 1950s. From
> 1980s to 2000s commuted from Dallas to Sacramento for the Jazz Jubilee and
> sometimes got to touch 66, which is mostly Interstate 40 now. You can get
> books which show the interesting points, from the gift shops on 66. I had
> a good one, but one of my sons has it. Odly enough, my singing group is
> to sing "Route 66" for a fall festival, this year.

I think this is the book....

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/book...otherRoad.html

Old July 27th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected][_1_]

bessie wrote:
> Hello all
>
> My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
> following the old route 66.
> I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
> way?
>
> Thanks!

Along Route 66 someplace is a Motel. The model consists of Teepees
that originate from the "First Nations". So anyway, the Teepees used
to have the swastika on them? Why? Was it a "First Nation" thing or
was it "Nazi" related?

The swastikas are no more, but I'm certain that the Motel still exists.

East-

::T-Shirt "We used to kill you people."::

Old July 27th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mark Hewitt

"bessie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all
>
> My husband and I are planning to travel across the country this fall
> following the old route 66.
> I was wondering if anyone had any really cool place to stay along the
> way?

It's not that far from Scotch Corner to Penrith, but Appleby is a nice place
to stop along the way.

Old July 27th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ad absurdum per aspera

Swastikas of various kinds are an ancient and worldwide motif, and
certainly there are Native American/First Nations users. See for
instance:
http://www.collectorsguide.com/fa/fa086.shtml

People who seem to know more than I do about these matters theorize
that the design arose independently in various parts of the world.

That having been said, I'd be a bit surprised to see one on a "wigwam
motel." Though its roots are in a 20s tourist-cabin motif, the design
wasn't patented until the late 30s, by which time it was obvious that
things were going horribly wrong in Germany; and the chain wasn't
built out (seven such motels at its peak) until after the war, which
was also, I think, the era of some imitators, as well as non-lodging
tourist traps in conical "teepee" buildings.

I further hypothesize that the one in Holbrook was very recently
renovated (2002?), under new ownership, after a period of going
downhill.

Maybe it was one of several other graphical motifs that could be taken
for a swastika from a distance and/or at high speed? Or maybe the
place had been grafitti'ed? I'd passed by there many times during its
down years and afterward, but must admit I'd never looked closely.

--Joe