Throttle Position Sensor went out...OUCH!

Old April 8th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SHRED

Default Throttle Position Sensor went out...OUCH!

2002 CR-V
78233 miles
California

Throttle position sensor went out so the whole throttle body needed
replacement. They can't replace just the sensor.
Total cost: $1000.00.

American Honda just called and are going to "review" for possible
"goodwill" coverage. The representative didn't sound to encouraging.

I have the TSB 04-008 which admits to a defective part.
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A04-008.PDF

This is so frustrating.
I have owned, and my family has owned, Honda for decades. 2 of our 3
vehicles are Honda.

This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.

Any advice here?

---
Old April 8th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
bearman

"SHRED" > wrote in message
> 2002 CR-V
> 78233 miles
> California
>
> Throttle position sensor went out so the whole throttle body needed
> replacement. They can't replace just the sensor.
> Total cost: $1000.00.
>
> American Honda just called and are going to "review" for possible
> "goodwill" coverage. The representative didn't sound to encouraging.
>
> I have the TSB 04-008 which admits to a defective part.
> http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A04-008.PDF
>
> This is so frustrating.
> I have owned, and my family has owned, Honda for decades. 2 of our 3
> vehicles are Honda.
>
> This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
> It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.
>
> Any advice here?

Makes one want to take a closer look at a Hyundai. IIRC they have a
10-year, 100K miles warranty. And they don't cost as much as a Honda.

Bearman Owner, over the years, of six Hondas

Old April 8th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SHRED

bearman wrote:
> "SHRED" > wrote in message
>> 2002 CR-V
>> 78233 miles
>> California
>>
>> Throttle position sensor went out so the whole throttle body needed
>> replacement. They can't replace just the sensor.
>> Total cost: $1000.00.
>>
>> American Honda just called and are going to "review" for possible
>> "goodwill" coverage. The representative didn't sound to encouraging.
>>
>> I have the TSB 04-008 which admits to a defective part.
>> http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A04-008.PDF
>>
>> This is so frustrating.
>> I have owned, and my family has owned, Honda for decades. 2 of our 3
>> vehicles are Honda.
>>
>> This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
>> It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.
>>
>> Any advice here?
>>

> Makes one want to take a closer look at a Hyundai. IIRC they have a
> 10-year, 100K miles warranty. And they don't cost as much as a Honda.
>
> Bearman Owner, over the years, of six Hondas

It certainly does.
10 year 100k is an awesome incentive.

---
Old April 9th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

Before all the hoopla you should look at what that 100k warranty covers....

"SHRED" > wrote in message
> bearman wrote:
>> "SHRED" > wrote in message
>>> 2002 CR-V
>>> 78233 miles

Old April 9th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
bearman

"Woody" > wrote in message
> Before all the hoopla you should look at what that 100k warranty
> covers....

Who is hoopla-ing? I'm just pointing out that there are alternatives. Of
course you should look at the warranty, especially if that's the reason
you're looking at Hyundais.

--
Bearman

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in
a swimming pool."

Old April 9th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

SHRED wrote:
> 2002 CR-V
> 78233 miles
> California
>
> Throttle position sensor went out so the whole throttle body needed
> replacement. They can't replace just the sensor.
> Total cost: $1000.00.
>
> American Honda just called and are going to "review" for possible
> "goodwill" coverage. The representative didn't sound to encouraging.
>
> I have the TSB 04-008 which admits to a defective part.
> http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A04-008.PDF
>
> This is so frustrating.
> I have owned, and my family has owned, Honda for decades. 2 of our 3
> vehicles are Honda.
>
> This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
> It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.
>
> Any advice here?
>

> ---

1. don't pay attention to trolls.
2. shop around. the part costs $571 from hondaautomotiveparts.com. you
could replace it yourself.
3. shop around some more. afaict, honda use a limited number of tps
designs, and it's easy enough to get another one from a junk yard.

if you find one and fit it, be aware that the reason honda say to
replace the whole thing is sensor calibration. but that shouldn't be
too hard to do yourself. here's how to do it: take a small [fresh]
battery, say 1.5v or 3v, and connect it so the battery is between the
two outer connectors on the tps output - they connect to the resistor
track. then measure precisely the voltage between the middle one
relative to both the outers. the sum of the two should be exactly the
battery voltage when connected. it should be roughly 0.15v relative to
zero if the battery is 1.5v. again, measure this precisely with a dvm.
now, after fitting the "new" [or repaired, which is also possible in
my experience] sensor, position the sensor so that it now replicates the
exact same voltages with the throttle in the same position.

now you have a calibrated tps and you can drive again! usually, the
sensors fail at a point on the track where the throttle most commonly
sits when driving, but it's ok at the idle position so you can do this
measure/calibrate procedure.

oh, and honda usually use shear head bolts to hold the tps on. those
will unscrew if you carefully use a chisel, or even a reverse helix drill.
Old April 9th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Things break. Buy an extended service agreement next time from Honda if you
don't like the roll of the dice.

Old April 9th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Apr 8, 4:41 pm, SHRED > wrote:
> 2002 CR-V
> 78233 miles
> California

snip

> This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
> It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.
>
> Any advice here?
>
> ---

One expensive repair in 8 years and 80K miles and you're ready to give
up on Honda?
Old April 10th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SHRED

ACAR wrote:
> On Apr 8, 4:41 pm, SHRED > wrote:
>> 2002 CR-V
>> 78233 miles
>> California
>>

> snip
>> This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
>> It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.
>>
>> Any advice here?
>>
>> ---

> One expensive repair in 8 years and 80K miles and you're ready to give
> up on Honda?

The fact is that in the TSB, Honda admits to a "defect in manufacturing".
I am perfectly willing to accept legitimate expenses but when the part
in question is a known defect then why should the consumer be held liable?
Hummm???
Old April 10th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth[_2_]

"SHRED" > wrote in message
> ACAR wrote:
>> On Apr 8, 4:41 pm, SHRED > wrote:
>>> 2002 CR-V
>>> 78233 miles
>>> California
>>>

>> snip
>>> This thousand dollar bill is souring me to Honda big time.
>>> It would be a shame for Honda to lose me over this.
>>>
>>> Any advice here?

>> One expensive repair in 8 years and 80K miles and you're ready to give
>> up on Honda?

> The fact is that in the TSB, Honda admits to a "defect in manufacturing".
> I am perfectly willing to accept legitimate expenses but when the part in
> question is a known defect then why should the consumer be held liable?
> Hummm???

If they ALL were defective, then my guess is it would have been a recall and
not a TSB. If yours was one of the defective ones, it probably wouldn't
have lasted as long as it did.

Just speculating here mind you...

throttle position sensor oldworld Jeep 3 December 23rd 07 01:22 PM
Throttle Position Sensor and.... [email protected] Technology 19 June 24th 06 10:20 PM
Throttle Position Sensor Enhancer? Aaron407 Technology 9 April 5th 06 12:33 AM
Adjustable Throttle Position Sensor -- L98 ?? PJ Corvette 0 March 21st 06 09:09 AM
Installing TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Michale Chrysler 2 December 3rd 04 04:43 PM