1993 Audi 90 Engine and Cluster Won't shut off ??

Old April 22nd 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
Erik[_3_]

Default 1993 Audi 90 Engine and Cluster Won't shut off ??

I take the key out and the car is still running. If I jiggle key
enough the engine will cut off, but the instrument cluster lights are
on like it's in the AC electrical mode (the step before actually
starting the car).

I've replace the starter with a brand new one, that has not helped.

HELP PLEASE!

Old April 22nd 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
dave AKA vwdoc1

unplug the ign switch to see if that makes a difference!

oups.com...

Old April 22nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
Erik[_3_]

I can turn off the by removing ignition switch. Actually, I meant
ignition switch and not starter...sorry. But maybe I need yet another
one, I replaced that one months and months ago come to think of it.

No it seems like I can get the car OFF with the key in a position that
is somewhere in the middle of OFF and START... its like its aligned
out of wack...

Old April 23rd 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
dave AKA vwdoc1

aftermarket one or one from the dealer?
I used an aftermarket ign switch in my '91 Passat and it lasted about 1
week. :-(

So if you unplug it does the engine and all turn off?
Yep seems like the ign. switch to me. ;-)

ups.com...

Old April 24th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
TonyJ

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> aftermarket one or one from the dealer?
> I used an aftermarket ign switch in my '91 Passat and it lasted about 1
> week. :-(
>
> So if you unplug it does the engine and all turn off?
> Yep seems like the ign. switch to me. ;-)
>
> "Erik" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>I can turn off the by removing ignition switch. Actually, I meant
>>ignition switch and not starter...sorry. But maybe I need yet another
>>one, I replaced that one months and months ago come to think of it.
>>
>>No it seems like I can get the car OFF with the key in a position that
>>is somewhere in the middle of OFF and START... its like its aligned
>>out of wack...

One other thing to check. One the T44 series there was a common problem with the
ignition which was due to a pot metal tab that bent and broke in the assembly
that operated the electrical part of the ignition switch. The fix was to fix the
mechanical part of the switch not the electrical. I am not sure if this is
possible in your '93 Audi 90 but might be worth checking.
Old April 27th 07, 03:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
Erik[_3_]

It indeed was the ignition switch. I have Napa aftermarket in now, it
actually is GREAT... and 4 OEMs on order ;-)

Thank you all!!!

Erik

Old April 27th 07, 12:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos
dave AKA vwdoc1

fantastic!
thanks for posting the solution!

oups.com...