Hess gas and Honda Use?

Old April 13th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_22_]

Default Hess gas and Honda Use?

I have an unmodified 2004 Accord EX-L sedan 5-spd 4-cyl, purchased new
four years ago, now with 51K. Car is used primarily in suburban area
(75%) of northeastern U.S. with about 25% highway use. Rarely driven
in snow, but used as a daily driver.

I used CarCare software to keep meticulous track of MPG at every fill-
up (only full fill-ups) by brand of gas.

Here's the average track record for my Accord (four-years worth of
data):

Amoco / BP : 246 gallons total / 6792 miles traveled / 33 fill-
ups / average of $2.46 per gallon / 27.63 avg MPG
Exxon : 716 gallons total / 17,661 miles traveled / 91
fill-ups / average of $2.38 per gallon / 24.66 avg MPG
Hess : 26 gallons total / 649 miles traveled / 4
fill-ups / average of $2.82 per gallon / 25.09 avg MPG
Shell : 65 gallons total / 1729 miles traveled / 7
fill-ups / average of $2.08 per gallon / 26.47 avg MPG
Sunoco : 520 gallons total / 15,626 miles traveled / 73
fill-ups / average of $2.65 per gallon / 30.07 avg MPG

I believe I used the Shell brand early in the car's life, as the
average gas prices were quite low in the U.S.

I don't think I should rely on my Hess data, because it's
statistically not significant here.

Old April 13th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
trailer

there are a lot of QuikTrip (QT) stations in Dallas area. It is rated as
Tier 1.

But I wonder if it is as good as Shell, Exxon, or other 'majors'.

Also a lot of RaceTrac stations here but I didn't see RaceTrac listed as
Tier 1.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
In article >,
"alfred" > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but does anyone
> recommend or not recommend the use of Hess brand gasoline in Hondas, such
> as
> a new Honda Accord? The Hess gas is 10-15 cents less per gallon than shell
> in my area.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

It's not about the price to fill the tank.

It's about the cost per mile.

Run with Hess for a few months, and calculate your cost per mile.

Then run with Shell for a few months. Start with several tanks of their
93 octane (V-Power) to clean out all the crap and crud that resulted
from your using Hess, then go back to 87 octane and start measuring your
cost per mile for Shell gas.

It is possible to spend less to fill up the tank but more to drive each
mile. And it's very likely that's what will happen.

And, of course, there's the costs down the road. There's a reason Shell
is one of Honda's recommended gasoline vendors
(http://www.toptiergas.com).

Yeah, the Hess gas costs less for the same reason the McD's hamburger
costs less than the steak at Ruth's Chris.