do i REALLY have to go to a mechanic

Old June 21st 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default do i REALLY have to go to a mechanic

I recently purchased an ipod receiver/charger for my stratus. for the
past few months, my pioneer stereo/cd player has been acting up
sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. i diagnosed that
problem as an internal connection malfunction between the body of the
stereo and the detachable faceplate. the stereo worked, so i plugged
the ipod receiver into the cigarette lighter, just as the manufacturer
instructed. somehow, the lighter shaft came loose and caused the
receiver to turn counter clockwise until it hit the cupholder. i
removed the panelling to try to tighten the shaft, but when i
unplugged the wire from the back of the hotplate of the lighter, there
was a spark and a puff of smoke. i did blow a fuse, and replacing the
fuse only caused it to blow immediately again. all websites i checked
said to go to a mechanic for electrical work, but its just the
cigarette lighter and the horn. is this something that i can fix
myself without being an electrician, or am i overstepping my boundary
as a diy-er. if i replace the fuse without plugging the lighter back
in, the horn works fine and no blown fuses. is this possible?

Old June 21st 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hertz_Donut[_4_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently purchased an ipod receiver/charger for my stratus. for the
> past few months, my pioneer stereo/cd player has been acting up
> sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. i diagnosed that
> problem as an internal connection malfunction between the body of the
> stereo and the detachable faceplate. the stereo worked, so i plugged
> the ipod receiver into the cigarette lighter, just as the manufacturer
> instructed. somehow, the lighter shaft came loose and caused the
> receiver to turn counter clockwise until it hit the cupholder. i
> removed the panelling to try to tighten the shaft, but when i
> unplugged the wire from the back of the hotplate of the lighter, there
> was a spark and a puff of smoke. i did blow a fuse, and replacing the
> fuse only caused it to blow immediately again. all websites i checked
> said to go to a mechanic for electrical work, but its just the
> cigarette lighter and the horn. is this something that i can fix
> myself without being an electrician, or am i overstepping my boundary
> as a diy-er. if i replace the fuse without plugging the lighter back
> in, the horn works fine and no blown fuses. is this possible?

I am afraid you won't like the answer I am about to give you...

since you have already displayed your inexperience by working on electrical
components of your vehicle without disconnecting the battery, you should
*MOST DEFINITELY* take your car to a reputable mechanic.

Since you apparently have very little knowledge and experience with working
in the dash, you will most definitely do more harm than good.

Honu

Old June 21st 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I recently purchased an ipod receiver/charger for my stratus. for the
> past few months, my pioneer stereo/cd player has been acting up
> sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. i diagnosed that
> problem as an internal connection malfunction between the body of the
> stereo and the detachable faceplate. the stereo worked, so i plugged
> the ipod receiver into the cigarette lighter, just as the manufacturer
> instructed. somehow, the lighter shaft came loose and caused the
> receiver to turn counter clockwise until it hit the cupholder. i
> removed the panelling to try to tighten the shaft, but when i
> unplugged the wire from the back of the hotplate of the lighter, there
> was a spark and a puff of smoke. i did blow a fuse, and replacing the
> fuse only caused it to blow immediately again. all websites i checked
> said to go to a mechanic for electrical work, but its just the
> cigarette lighter and the horn. is this something that i can fix
> myself without being an electrician, or am i overstepping my boundary
> as a diy-er. if i replace the fuse without plugging the lighter back
> in, the horn works fine and no blown fuses. is this possible?

I do work such as you are tackling, but I'm an electronics/electrical
trained person.
From your discussion I suggest you see a mechanic with electrical
training, else you may cause more serious damage.
Old June 21st 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:

> I recently purchased an ipod receiver/charger for my stratus. for the
> past few months, my pioneer stereo/cd player has been acting up
> sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. i diagnosed that
> problem as an internal connection malfunction between the body of the
> stereo and the detachable faceplate. the stereo worked, so i plugged
> the ipod receiver into the cigarette lighter, just as the manufacturer
> instructed. somehow, the lighter shaft came loose and caused the
> receiver to turn counter clockwise until it hit the cupholder. i
> removed the panelling to try to tighten the shaft, but when i
> unplugged the wire from the back of the hotplate of the lighter, there
> was a spark and a puff of smoke. i did blow a fuse, and replacing the
> fuse only caused it to blow immediately again. all websites i checked
> said to go to a mechanic for electrical work, but its just the
> cigarette lighter and the horn. is this something that i can fix
> myself without being an electrician, or am i overstepping my boundary
> as a diy-er. if i replace the fuse without plugging the lighter back
> in, the horn works fine and no blown fuses. is this possible?

amnsop skfpoak fksp fvuwnw. ensadj ajk amd. f eonfd. mnd oied wnklmv[p
miosd pbm dv iopdfs nfo mfv ndfjuvf poknajk ea ja enviie fi jfl aiokio
gph; vlma skna jk[ vmk mfka sjn fnjdn. alf mnoljka jdaffo oank aof vni
ip aif vn. nvn njn. ed era jazz uoc koa ncv kan jus.

HTH.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 22nd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Jun 20, 11:04 pm, "Hertz_Donut" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >I recently purchased an ipod receiver/charger for my stratus. for the
> > past few months, my pioneer stereo/cd player has been acting up
> > sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. i diagnosed that
> > problem as an internal connection malfunction between the body of the
> > stereo and the detachable faceplate. the stereo worked, so i plugged
> > the ipod receiver into the cigarette lighter, just as the manufacturer
> > instructed. somehow, the lighter shaft came loose and caused the
> > receiver to turn counter clockwise until it hit the cupholder. i
> > removed the panelling to try to tighten the shaft, but when i
> > unplugged the wire from the back of the hotplate of the lighter, there
> > was a spark and a puff of smoke. i did blow a fuse, and replacing the
> > fuse only caused it to blow immediately again. all websites i checked
> > said to go to a mechanic for electrical work, but its just the
> > cigarette lighter and the horn. is this something that i can fix
> > myself without being an electrician, or am i overstepping my boundary
> > as a diy-er. if i replace the fuse without plugging the lighter back
> > in, the horn works fine and no blown fuses. is this possible?

> I am afraid you won't like the answer I am about to give you...
>
> since you have already displayed your inexperience by working on electrical
> components of your vehicle without disconnecting the battery, you should
> *MOST DEFINITELY* take your car to a reputable mechanic.
>
> Since you apparently have very little knowledge and experience with working
> in the dash, you will most definitely do more harm than good.
>
> Honu- Hide quoted text -

thanks for responding so quickly, i was afraid of that answer, too,
but i guess i realize the outcome was inevitable... thanks again

Old June 22nd 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Phillip Mcracken

A reputable auto-electric place should be your best bet, lower labor rates
and quicker diagnosis.
oups.com...

Old June 23rd 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

Of course you can fix it yourself. Direct current is as simple as it can
be, and honestly, mechanics don't like to work on that kind of stuff anyway.

oups.com...

Old June 23rd 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 20, 11:04 pm, "Hertz_Donut" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> >I recently purchased an ipod receiver/charger for my stratus. for the
>> > past few months, my pioneer stereo/cd player has been acting up
>> > sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. i diagnosed that
>> > problem as an internal connection malfunction between the body of the
>> > stereo and the detachable faceplate. the stereo worked, so i plugged
>> > the ipod receiver into the cigarette lighter, just as the manufacturer
>> > instructed. somehow, the lighter shaft came loose and caused the
>> > receiver to turn counter clockwise until it hit the cupholder. i
>> > removed the panelling to try to tighten the shaft, but when i
>> > unplugged the wire from the back of the hotplate of the lighter, there
>> > was a spark and a puff of smoke. i did blow a fuse, and replacing the
>> > fuse only caused it to blow immediately again. all websites i checked
>> > said to go to a mechanic for electrical work, but its just the
>> > cigarette lighter and the horn. is this something that i can fix
>> > myself without being an electrician, or am i overstepping my boundary
>> > as a diy-er. if i replace the fuse without plugging the lighter back
>> > in, the horn works fine and no blown fuses. is this possible?

>> I am afraid you won't like the answer I am about to give you...
>>
>> since you have already displayed your inexperience by working on
>> electrical
>> components of your vehicle without disconnecting the battery, you should
>> *MOST DEFINITELY* take your car to a reputable mechanic.
>>
>> Since you apparently have very little knowledge and experience with
>> working
>> in the dash, you will most definitely do more harm than good.
>>
>> Honu- Hide quoted text -

> thanks for responding so quickly, i was afraid of that answer, too,
> but i guess i realize the outcome was inevitable... thanks again

I don't agree with him, but I'm better at it than a reputable mechanic, so
that figures into my thinking. I would much rather fix it myself than have
some reputable mechanic screw it up for $80 an hour.

PHX mechanic netmunky Jeep 2 February 20th 07 03:12 PM
mechanic audidrive Audi 1 October 17th 06 09:50 PM
Looking for mechanic goodnigh Ford Mustang 0 September 16th 06 08:19 PM
Looking for a mechanic in CT [email protected] VW water cooled 0 February 1st 06 03:25 AM
How to become do-yourself-mechanic Abbas Technology 22 July 28th 05 06:39 PM