Wheel Bearing installer tool info needed please

Old April 19th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default Wheel Bearing installer tool info needed please

Looking to purchase one of these tools that also pulls the hub out of the
bearing without having to pull the bearing carrier off of the VW/Audi. Also
one that will not damage ABS components.

Yeah I could get the "cheapie" tool from Harbor Freight for $80 plus
shipping.
But it does not pull the hub out which I guess is its only drawback.

I have looked the Parts Place (www.partsplaceinc.com) tool for $275 on page
77. Sounds like it might be the one I will go with.

Also I am leaning towards the
http://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?...D&ProdID=17900
at $313 with free shipping

Or the Hub Tamer
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...utm_medium=CMP
at $339 with free shipping

Or the VW/Audi specific tool
http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...=B90-VA&CTMP=1
at $369 + $18 shipping totalling $387

Anyone with some info............please advise!

thanks
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old April 19th 07, 08:03 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> Looking to purchase one of these tools that also pulls the hub out of the
> bearing without having to pull the bearing carrier off of the VW/Audi. Also
> one that will not damage ABS components.
>
> Yeah I could get the "cheapie" tool from Harbor Freight for $80 plus
> shipping.
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45210
> But it does not pull the hub out which I guess is its only drawback.
>
> I have looked the Parts Place (www.partsplaceinc.com) tool for $275 on page
> 77. Sounds like it might be the one I will go with.
>
> Also I am leaning towards the
> http://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?...D&ProdID=17900
> at $313 with free shipping
>
> Or the Hub Tamer
> http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...utm_medium=CMP
> at $339 with free shipping
>

> Or the VW/Audi specific tool
> http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...=B90-VA&CTMP=1
> at $369 + $18 shipping totalling $387
>
> Anyone with some info............please advise!
>
> thanks
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)

I bought the Old Forge Hub Shark and have used it three times. It works fine but
you need to be careful when pulling the bearing that the puller is not hitting
the mounts for the brake caliper as I have bent on on my old '91 100Q. With a
lot of luck and a BFH and prying wrench I was able to straighten it again.

Still the Old forge is well made and does the job. It has four sets of parts to
use it on most all makes of cars.

I would guess that any of them would do the job but the cheap ones from China
might have problems handling the pressure.

They really do save a lot of hassle when doing bearings.
Old April 20th 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks TonyJ.
The Old Forge Hub Shark seemed to have quite a few adapters to make it more
versatile for different cars or components! ;-)

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"TonyJ" > wrote in message

> dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
>> Looking to purchase one of these tools that also pulls the hub out of the
>> bearing without having to pull the bearing carrier off of the VW/Audi.
>> Also one that will not damage ABS components.
>>
>> Yeah I could get the "cheapie" tool from Harbor Freight for $80 plus
>> shipping.
>> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45210
>> But it does not pull the hub out which I guess is its only drawback.
>>
>> I have looked the Parts Place (www.partsplaceinc.com) tool for $275 on
>> page 77. Sounds like it might be the one I will go with.
>>
>> Also I am leaning towards the
>> http://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?...D&ProdID=17900
>> at $313 with free shipping
>>
>> Or the Hub Tamer
>> http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...utm_medium=CMP
>> at $339 with free shipping
>>

>> Or the VW/Audi specific tool
>> http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.as...=B90-VA&CTMP=1
>> at $369 + $18 shipping totalling $387
>>
>> Anyone with some info............please advise!
>>
>> thanks
>> later,
>> dave
>> (One out of many daves)
>>

> I bought the Old Forge Hub Shark and have used it three times. It works
> fine but you need to be careful when pulling the bearing that the puller
> is not hitting the mounts for the brake caliper as I have bent on on my
> old '91 100Q. With a lot of luck and a BFH and prying wrench I was able to
> straighten it again.
>
> Still the Old forge is well made and does the job. It has four sets of
> parts to use it on most all makes of cars.
>
> I would guess that any of them would do the job but the cheap ones from
> China might have problems handling the pressure.
>
> They really do save a lot of hassle when doing bearings.

special tool needed to replace O2 sensor? Mike Klein BMW 3 November 22nd 06 04:40 AM
Balljoint front wheel bearing size info needed. JohnF VW air cooled 0 October 26th 05 09:15 PM
Bearing Races Question and Wheel Bearing Pack Question Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 3 June 11th 05 05:51 AM
90 Dynasty info needed lp13-30 Dodge 4 May 13th 05 12:26 AM
Info on 67 Bug needed... Jim VW air cooled 4 December 23rd 04 05:29 AM