PBS reviews Pontiac Solstice

Old September 25th 05, 02:52 PM
McMahon

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> I've always hated Pontiacs, but I must say that the Solstice looks a
>> whole
>> lot better than the 2nd and latest generation Miatas.

Looks don't matter in sports cars; weight does. Autoweek says Pontiac
weighs 400 lbs. more than the NC, so that's like, what, 600 lbs. more than
my NB? And those clunky, heavy, ugly 19-inch wheels? Gee, I can't WAIT to
take wrestle an extra 120 lbs. of bling-bling through the twisties in Latigo
Canyon on an early Sunday morning! REAL sport-ee! Can you say, Fee-Air-Oh?

Add in that GM 'quality' and I'll give this Pontiac as long a model-run as
the . . AZTEK!!! ARRRGGGHHH!

It is sad. Amerikan car makers are pathetic.

Steve McMahon
Green JRSC '00LS

Old September 25th 05, 03:32 PM
pws

McMahon wrote:

> Looks don't matter in sports cars; weight does. Autoweek says Pontiac
> weighs 400 lbs. more than the NC, so that's like, what, 600 lbs. more than
> my NB? And those clunky, heavy, ugly 19-inch wheels? Gee, I can't WAIT to
> take wrestle an extra 120 lbs. of bling-bling through the twisties in Latigo
> Canyon on an early Sunday morning! REAL sport-ee! Can you say, Fee-Air-Oh?
>
> Add in that GM 'quality' and I'll give this Pontiac as long a model-run as
> the . . AZTEK!!! ARRRGGGHHH!
>
> It is sad. Amerikan car makers are pathetic.
>
> Steve McMahon
> Green JRSC '00LS

Actually, those heavy and ugly wheels are 18 inches, which is also
ridiculous. Aside from that one small error, I don't think I could
possibly agree with your post any more.

People really blow off the weight issue, "it's only 400 pounds". That is
like adding 2 heavy people, it is not exactly a non-issue. As far as
plunking down $20K on a Pontiac, any Pontiac, that just isn't going to
happen from this American buyer.

Pat
Old September 26th 05, 12:01 AM
Dana H. Myers

wrote:

>>>I've always hated Pontiacs, but I must say that the Solstice looks a
>>>whole
>>>lot better than the 2nd and latest generation Miatas.

> Looks don't matter in sports cars; weight does. Autoweek says Pontiac
> weighs 400 lbs. more than the NC, so that's like, what, 600 lbs. more than
> my NB? And those clunky, heavy, ugly 19-inch wheels? Gee, I can't WAIT to
> take wrestle an extra 120 lbs. of bling-bling through the twisties in Latigo
> Canyon on an early Sunday morning! REAL sport-ee! Can you say, Fee-Air-Oh?
>
> Add in that GM 'quality' and I'll give this Pontiac as long a model-run as
> the . . AZTEK!!! ARRRGGGHHH!
>
> It is sad. Amerikan car makers are pathetic.

So I take it you didn't enjoy the test drive in the Solstice?

Dana
Old September 26th 05, 01:30 AM
XS11E

wrote:

>> Looks don't matter in sports cars; weight does. Autoweek says Pontiac
>> weighs 400 lbs. more than the NC, so that's like, what, 600 lbs. more
>> than my NB? And those clunky, heavy, ugly 19-inch wheels? Gee, I
>> can't WAIT to take wrestle an extra 120 lbs. of bling-bling through the
>> twisties in Latigo Canyon on an early Sunday morning! REAL sport-ee!
>> Can you say, Fee-Air-Oh?
>>
>> Add in that GM 'quality' and I'll give this Pontiac as long a model-run
>> as the . . AZTEK!!! ARRRGGGHHH!
>>
>> It is sad. Amerikan car makers are pathetic.

> So I take it you didn't enjoy the test drive in the Solstice?

You're cruel, you know that? <BSEG>

Old September 26th 05, 01:49 AM
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> So I take it you didn't enjoy the test drive in the Solstice?
>
> Dana

I am going to test-drive the new MX-5 eventually, but if Mazda had added
another 400 pounds, increased the length of the car and put 18 inch
wheels on it, I probably would not bother.

I do not think that the Solstice can possibly match the MX-5 in the pure
fun factor for sports car enthusiasts, especially those to whom weight,
(especially unsprung weight), and wheelbase length is a primary concern.
Unless those 18" wheels are forged, which I highly doubt, they probably
weigh about 20 pounds each.
The 17 inch wheels that they are putting on the new MX-5 are also too
large, imo, and I wonder what they weigh as well, but I would replace
those immediately with 15" or 16" SSR's if I were to buy a 2006 MX-5.

My other primary concern with a test drive, other than being seen on a
Pontiac sales lot, is that the car will break down during the test
drive. Then I might have to walk back to my miata and drive home. ;-)

Pat
Old September 26th 05, 02:40 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I do not think that the Solstice can possibly match the MX-5 in the pure
> fun factor for sports car enthusiasts...

You might enjoy this London Times article by Jeremy Clarkson:
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...794313,00.html

It's fashionable to write off JC's sarcasm as America bashing and
attention-getting hype, but I think he makes some valid points. Remember
he's writing about the U.S. market in general, not the likes of us, and
he seems to understand it better than most Europeans. I've no doubt
everything his detractors say about him is true...but that doesn' t make
him wrong.

Actually, I think he pretty much nailed the Mustang GT. Almost no owner
will use half of such a car's capabilities on the street, so its limits
simply don't matter in the real world. OTOH, if you buy one for how it
makes you feel, you can't lose. JC got that part.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 26th 05, 06:12 AM

"McMahon" > wrote in message
> Looks don't matter in sports cars; weight does. Autoweek says Pontiac
> weighs 400 lbs. more than the NC, so that's like, what, 600 lbs. more than
> my NB? And those clunky, heavy, ugly 19-inch wheels? Gee, I can't WAIT
> to take wrestle an extra 120 lbs. of bling-bling through the twisties in
> Latigo Canyon on an early Sunday morning! REAL sport-ee! Can you say,
> Fee-Air-Oh?
>
> Add in that GM 'quality' and I'll give this Pontiac as long a model-run as
> the . . AZTEK!!! ARRRGGGHHH!
>
> It is sad. Amerikan car makers are pathetic.

I was only comparing the looks of the Solstice and the latest Miata, not
weight/performance. If we're talking about weight, well, the NA weighs less
than both the NB and NC. And looks better to boot.

My point is, the Solstice looks a lot better than the NC. We can complain
all we want about the Solstice being a heavier GM product, but it doesn't
make the NC any nicer looking. I mean, did they have to make the NC so
ugly??? And looks do matter in a sports car. Would you put your money down
on an ugly sports car?

I'm passionate about Miatas. I have 2 NAs myself: a red on black, and a
triple black. And I don't like the way things are going at Mazda. The newer
Miatas are getting heavier and uglier. I was excited when I heard news of
the NB. Took it for a test-drive, and I was disappointed. Didn't like the
looks, and it didn't feel as connected to the road as my NA. When I saw the
NC, I know that I will not buy another Miata. No, I'm not entertaining
thoughts of getting a Solstice. However, I'm seriously considering moving on
to a Lotus Elise.

Old September 26th 05, 08:29 AM
Vern

>From 1973 until 1995 I owned two 1960 TR3s. I sold one of them for 10
times what I paid for it.

I currently own 2 BMW motorcycles, a 1970 I purchased in 1971, and a
1973 I purchased in 1980.

I had a Dodge van from 1972 until 2002 when I bought a new Pontiac. In
3 and 1/2 years the Pontiac never had a problem. When my grand daughter
turned 16 last week I sold it to her.

It's easy to overlook the shortcomings in the vehicles you love. My
current Mazdaspeed has 17 inch wheels and those crappy low profile
tires. But I enjoy the way it reminds me of my TR3s. I just hope I
don't have to work on it as often. <G>

Old September 26th 05, 01:07 PM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> I do not think that the Solstice can possibly match the MX-5 in the pure
>> fun factor for sports car enthusiasts...

>You might enjoy this London Times article by Jeremy Clarkson:
>http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...794313,00.html
>
>It's fashionable to write off JC's sarcasm as America bashing and
>attention-getting hype, but I think he makes some valid points. Remember
>he's writing about the U.S. market in general, not the likes of us, and
>he seems to understand it better than most Europeans. I've no doubt
>everything his detractors say about him is true...but that doesn' t make
>him wrong.
>
>Actually, I think he pretty much nailed the Mustang GT. Almost no owner
>will use half of such a car's capabilities on the street,

Would that be its capability of quickly cooking its brakes?

Or its capability to take its own line through the corners with
its live rear axle?

> so its limits
>simply don't matter in the real world. OTOH, if you buy one for how it
>makes you feel, you can't lose. JC got that part.

Almost. He did have an inkling that at home he would quickly discover
he was confusing US 101 with this ugly oversized block of pig iron.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 26th 05, 04:00 PM
McMahon

> ugly??? And looks do matter in a sports car. Would you put your money down
> on an ugly sports car?

If it weighed LESS than 2000 lbs., I wouldn't care if it looked like a
lowered and sectioned . . . gulp . . . AZTEK!

I'd buy it.

Steve McMahon
Green JRSC '00LS

Saturn vs Pontiac marx404 Saturn 16 April 5th 05 02:22 AM
Pontiac Solstice P T Saturn 5 March 18th 05 08:36 AM
Pontiac Solstice for 20k? HardwareLust Mazda 25 February 24th 05 04:36 AM
FS: 1997 Rob Atchison Pontiac Firebird "FUNNYCAR" Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 3rd 04 06:46 AM