PBS reviews Pontiac Solstice

Old September 24th 05, 06:50 PM
XS11E

Default PBS reviews Pontiac Solstice

I just watched "Motorweek" on PBS as they reviewed the Pontiac Solstice.
They continually compared it to the MX-5 and.... well, here, read it
yourselves:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2502a.shtml

Old September 24th 05, 07:17 PM
Dave

In article >, XS11E > wrote:

>I just watched "Motorweek" on PBS as they reviewed the Pontiac Solstice.
>They continually compared it to the MX-5 and.... well, here, read it
>yourselves:
>
>http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2502a.shtml

Or watch it at:
http://media.putfile.com/MW-Solstice
(choose "widescreen" to see it in the correct aspect ratio)
Old September 24th 05, 08:55 PM
XS11E

(Dave) wrote in:

> In article >, XS11E

> wrote:
>>
>>I just watched "Motorweek" on PBS as they reviewed the Pontiac Solstice.
>>They continually compared it to the MX-5 and.... well, here, read it
>>yourselves:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2502a.shtml

> Or watch it at:
> http://media.putfile.com/MW-Solstice
> (choose "widescreen" to see it in the correct aspect ratio)

Oh, no, no, NO! I cannot tolerate that guy's voice! I suffered through it
once but not again...
Old September 24th 05, 10:36 PM
junktin

The latest issue of Car and Driver did a more extensive comparison,
rating where they liked the Solstice better and where they liked the
MX-5 better. Seemed like they were trying to be pretty impartial.

I am not sure I agreed with the things they felt were important
features, and for me the need to get out of the car to drop the top and
the loss of trunk space when the top is down would be a deciding factor
in rejecting the Solstice. But it does look like one of the best
attempts yet to come up with a car aimed at the type of driver who
enjoys the MX-5.

Old September 25th 05, 12:04 AM
XS11E

junktin > wrote in:

> I am not sure I agreed with the things they felt were important
> features, and for me the need to get out of the car to drop the top

I have to get out of my Miata to drop the top and fit the tonneau cover.

> and the loss of trunk space when the top is down

Ditto Miata, all the package space behind the seats is gone with the top
down. I don't consider either car as having adequate trunk space with two
people aboard and with the top up and no passenger the space in the Miata is
just barely adequate, I filled every bit of it on my last trip to California!
Bag and shaving kit in what Mazda laughingly calls a trunk, main computer
case in the passenger's foot space, peripherals on the passenger seat, etc.
If I'd had to carry a monitor I don't think I could have taken the car.

> would be a deciding factor in rejecting the Solstice.

For me it's price only. If I could buy a Solstice for what I paid for my
Miata I'd consider it but I don't think there are too many Solstices that
will sell for $4,000 in the next few weeks..... ;-)

Old September 25th 05, 04:39 AM
Vern

XS11E says,
>For me it's price only. If I could buy a Solstice for what I paid for my

Miata I'd consider it but I don't think there are too many Solstices
that
will sell for $4,000 in the next few weeks..... ;-)

Last month when I was looking for a car I sent emails to all the
Pontiac dealers in Phoenix and none had a Solstice. About 3 weeks later
one dealership sent me an email and said he was about to get one in but
it would cost $26,350.

By then I had purchased my Miata Speed

Old September 25th 05, 05:11 AM

I've always hated Pontiacs, but I must say that the Solstice looks a whole
lot better than the 2nd and latest generation Miatas.

Why does the Miata look progressively worse each generation?? The original
Miata was gorgeous! Why mess with a good thing??? Hmm...who at Mazda do we
have to blame for this?

Old September 25th 05, 06:20 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> > and the loss of trunk space when the top is down

> Ditto Miata, all the package space behind the seats is gone with the top
> down.

That *is* an issue with the NC. I would miss that space--it holds two
zip duffels with all our clothes when the trunk is full of camping gear.
FWIW, I understand that some storage volume remains under the NC's
folded top.

>I don't consider either car as having adequate trunk space with two
> people aboard

I assume you are still talking about the NC. We take our NA on 2-week
camping trips. It's a matter of attitude and commitment: we have
everything we need, but can't take everything we want. No cooler, e.g.
But it would be unthinkable to drive in the mountains without the top
down.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 25th 05, 01:34 PM
Dave

In article >, > wrote:

>Why does the Miata look progressively worse each generation?? The original
>Miata was gorgeous! Why mess with a good thing??? Hmm...who at Mazda do we
>have to blame for this?

Hey, as an NB owner, I resemble that remark :-)

Patent answer would be that not everyone agrees that its NA>NB>NC.
Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. I personally like the NB the
best (surprise!).

Also, with a new model, there is obviously a strong push to make it
different. Otherwise it wouldn't catch the eye of prospective new
owners. Mazda is both blessed and cursed with the Miata success.
They feel (rightly, IMHO) that they have to keep the same formula
with each successive generation. End result is a great car, but
still relatively underpowered, and too unluxurious for the masses.

Saturn vs Pontiac marx404 Saturn 16 April 5th 05 02:22 AM
Pontiac Solstice P T Saturn 5 March 18th 05 07:36 AM
Pontiac Solstice for 20k? HardwareLust Mazda 25 February 24th 05 03:36 AM
FS: 1997 Rob Atchison Pontiac Firebird "FUNNYCAR" Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 3rd 04 05:46 AM