Next Gen

Old August 26th 05, 03:06 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Oh not the adjusted market value thing again! Never fails, greed.....

On the issue of the roll bar, this car has roll-over pretection built in
standard. Mazda may not be willing to call it that but if you look at the
structure it is very serious and this car should be measurably stiffer right
out of the box than a previous miata with a rollbar. The increases in
torsional / structural rigidity are substantial to say the least.

Chris
92BB&T

Old August 26th 05, 03:59 AM
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> On the issue of the roll bar, this car has roll-over pretection built in
> standard. Mazda may not be willing to call it that but if you look at the
> structure it is very serious and this car should be measurably stiffer right
> out of the box than a previous miata with a rollbar. The increases in
> torsional / structural rigidity are substantial to say the least.
>
> Chris
> 92BB&T

My guess is that my Hard Dog Hard Core non-hardtop rollbar with dual
diagonal braces, which sits considerably higher above my head than the
hoops on the new MX-5 reach, will offer more protection once the rubber
leaves the pavement, especially if I am wearing my 5-point harness. I
hope that I never find out.

Does anyone know what the new MX-5 hoops qualify the car for as far as
racing requirements?

The main advantage that I see is that the new MX-5 hoops are not
designed to used with a helmet and are not likely to injure you in a
non-rollover accident the way a rollbar can. Still, BMW is willing to
call the hoops on the Z4 rollover protection. If Mazda is not wiling to
do the same for the new miata, I suspect that there is a reason.

Pat
Old August 26th 05, 04:01 AM
pws

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Curt wrote:
>
>> So who's driven/ordered the 2006?

> It's not as pretty as a Mk1...or even a Mk2 :-(

I wondered who had that dead horse and was still taking kicks at it, it
looks like Zog grabbed it. That carcass has been rotting since the
introduction of the M2 in 1999, so I would be careful with it. It is
probably getting pretty rank after 7 years. ;-)

"Pretty" is highly subjective, though I basically agree with you and
have taken some kicks at that dead horse myself.

Pat
Old August 26th 05, 04:19 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Does anyone know what the new MX-5 hoops qualify the car for as far as
> racing requirements?

No one knows yet whether the hoops will pass tech at any HPDE sessions
(since no one's had a chance to try), but they clearly don't come close
to complying with SCCA standards. The unfortunate problem is that the
new Z-fold top precludes a 4-point bar with rearward bracing à la HDHC.
A normal rollbar could be installed if the soft top were removed
entirely, I suppose, or maybe HD or someone else will develop a
top-compatible rollbar that braces forward, into the footwells, instead
of aft. It would presumably replace the OEM hoops.

My guess for HPDE is that some events will allow them, perhaps only in
the slower run groups and only until somebody gets hurt, while others
will continue to require real rollover protection. SCCA racers will need
a rollcage (and a hardtop for some classes), just as they do now, and
the soft top would be removed anyway. Autocross, of course, does not
require any rollover protection.

I'm still glad to see the hoops. They're solid and offer a lot more
protection than nothing.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 26th 05, 04:44 AM
pws

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> I wonder whether it still has a closed torsion-bar type transmission
> tunnel. I told them to do that years ago,
> http://tinyurl.com/dwekr
> and in 2001 Mazda finally smelled the coffee, (heck, even Flyin Miata
> is doing it now), but I wonder how long it will take until they figure
> out that it increases dealer labor on transmission work.
>
> Leon

If it increases their dealer labor time on transmission work, I think
that the owners will be the ones finding that out as well. It will
probably add an hour or so of book time, which usually translates to 15
to 25 minutes in real-world time, and the customer will almost certainly
get charged for it.

Pat
Old September 20th 05, 02:30 PM

Curt <docdoowopATyahoo.com@> wrote in
:

> So who's driven/ordered the 2006?

My friend in my local Miata club (Calgary, Alberta) took possession of his
Limited model 2 weeks ago. Our club had a show'n'shine at the dealership at
the same time. Personally I like what they have done with the cockpit and
rear half of the car, but the front end looks a little too "pokemon" to me.
I also think the chrome window frame is a little bit to Chrysler as well as
there is a definite S2000 look to the backend. I found the door cup holder
hit me directly in the left knee. The trunk may be a little larger (no
spare tire), but the opening is considerably smaller and may limit what can
actually be put in the trunk.

Cheers,

http://www.rockies-miata.org/
Old September 21st 05, 03:55 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

I agree on the chrome windshield trim, very 'Chrysler' luckily it's only on
the SE. And the trunk opening does seem tiny. Nice to have the lil piston
thingamajiggy's though instead of trying to remember to leave unused space
right there on each side.

Potential cupholder in the knee does worry me a bit. The interior looks
'cheaper' than the M2's interior. Livable in black but at least in pics,
cheapy looking in the butterscotch, I mean tan!

Chris
92BB&T

Old September 21st 05, 03:01 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> And the trunk opening does seem tiny.

I assume the smaller opening contributes to chassis stiffness, a
worthwhile tradeoff.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 21st 05, 03:07 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-21, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> And the trunk opening does seem tiny.

I can barely get my golf clubs in/out of the NB trunk. It was
annoying enough when the shrunk the NC trunk to the point where
you can't put a tire in it...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm having an
at EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!! But,
Old September 21st 05, 03:59 PM
Grant Edwards

> you can't put a tire in it...

I haven't tried to put a tire in an NC trunk yet.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Sometime in 1993
at NANCY SINATRA will lead a