Excessive crank, 2007 Saturn Aura XR with 171K miles

Old April 16th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shawn

Default Excessive crank, 2007 Saturn Aura XR with 171K miles

I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've had it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. The following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -

- car is low on fuel
- engine is turned off
- tank is filled
- attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of cranking
- 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to start

I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past several months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?
Old April 16th 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Shawn > wrote:

>I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past sever=
>al months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The =
>only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIM=
>E. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except=
> for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might b=
>e going on?

Next time you fill up, leave the gas cap off. Does it crank quickly then?
--scott

Old April 16th 13, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shawn

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:24:26 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Shawn > wrote:
>

> >I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past sever=

> >al months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The =

> >only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIM=

> >E. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except=

> > for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might b=

> >e going on?

> Next time you fill up, leave the gas cap off. Does it crank quickly then?
>
> --scott

Thanks! I'll try that.
Old April 16th 13, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Apr 16, 1:37*pm, Shawn > wrote:
> I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. *I've had it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. *The following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: *Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. *After a few tries it finally starts up. *To put it concisely -
>
> - car is low on fuel
> - engine is turned off
> - tank is filled
> - attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of cranking
> - 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to start
>
> I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past several months. *Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. *The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. *Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. *Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

could be your vapor return line.
Old April 16th 13, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 04/16/2013 04:22 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Apr 16, 1:37 pm, Shawn > wrote:
>> I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've
>> had it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately
>> 140K miles. The following problem has plagued me for approximately
>> the last 12 months: Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next
>> time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it
>> usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it
>> finally starts up. To put it concisely -
>>
>> - car is low on fuel - engine is turned off - tank is filled -
>> attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of
>> cranking - 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to
>> start
>>
>> I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the
>> past several months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation
>> whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off
>> the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once,
>> given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with
>> fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

> could be your vapor return line.

that's what I was thinking, or a saturated charcoal canister.

Does it start quicker under the same conditions if you use the "clear
flooding" method of starting (that is, hold the gas pedal to the floor
while cranking?)

good luck,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 17th 13, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:37:19 -0700 (PDT), Shawn >
wrote:

>I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've had it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. The following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -
>
>- car is low on fuel
>- engine is turned off
>- tank is filled
>- attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of cranking
>- 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to start
>
>I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past several months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

Are you packing the tank, or removing the hose the first time it
clicks off?
Old April 17th 13, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shawn

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:27:22 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 04/16/2013 04:22 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
>
> > On Apr 16, 1:37 pm, Shawn > wrote:

> >> I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've

> >> had it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately

> >> 140K miles. The following problem has plagued me for approximately

> >> the last 12 months: Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next

> >> time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it

> >> usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it

> >> finally starts up. To put it concisely -

> >> - car is low on fuel - engine is turned off - tank is filled -

> >> attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of

> >> cranking - 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to

> >> start

> >> I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the

> >> past several months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation

> >> whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off

> >> the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once,

> >> given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with

> >> fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

> > could be your vapor return line.

> that's what I was thinking, or a saturated charcoal canister.
>

> Does it start quicker under the same conditions if you use the "clear
>
> flooding" method of starting (that is, hold the gas pedal to the floor
>
> while cranking?)
>

> good luck,
>

> nate
>

> --
>
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
>
> http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Hmm, I've never tried the "clear flooding" method. I'll have to it that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your insight!
Old April 17th 13, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shawn

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:39:32 PM UTC-4, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:37:19 -0700 (PDT), Shawn >
>
> wrote:
>

> >I own a 2007 Saturn Aura XR that has 171K total miles on it. I've had it since the summer of 2009 and I've driven it approximately 140K miles. The following problem has plagued me for approximately the last 12 months: Whenever I fill the gas tank, the very next time I try to start the car it doesn't start right up like it usually does but "cranks" quite excessively. After a few tries it finally starts up. To put it concisely -

> >- car is low on fuel

> >- engine is turned off

> >- tank is filled

> >- attempt to start engine, fails, resulting in abnormal amount of cranking

> >- 2 or 3 subsequent start attempts are usually needed to start

> >I've paid quite close attention to the behavioral of the car the past several months. Usually it starts right up with no hesitation whatsoever. The only time it gives me trouble is when I top off the fuel tank, NO OTHER TIME. Seriously, it has never, not once, given me a hard time starting except for when I top it off with fuel. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

> Are you packing the tank, or removing the hose the first time it
>
> clicks off?

By packing the tank I assume you mean putting in enough gas to fill the tank "neck." Well, no, as soon as the pump clicks off I remove the nozzle.

Saturn Aura XR, excessive crank Shawn General 0 April 16th 13 06:40 PM
Saturn Aura Hybrid [email protected] Saturn 0 February 22nd 07 07:01 AM
2007 Saturn Aura B Rabbie Saturn 10 January 2nd 07 11:18 PM
Saturn Aura fish Saturn 3 November 27th 05 10:49 PM