New motor....

Old July 29th 10, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

Default New motor....

>>> Spoilsport

>> It won't work on mine though, so I agree, it's not a clever computer!

> You have to hold down the - and + buttons together for quite a while
> before it says 'reset'. You have the newer interior version, right? With
> the silver facings and the computer in the middle, above the radio?

That's the one. I've tried holding the buttons in for over a minute and
eventually
the display reverts back to the INFO screen.

By the way, what temp should show on the gauge?
The handbook says the needle should be midway or vertical which
corresponds to 90º, mine seems to be about 75º.

TonyB

Old July 30th 10, 06:02 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

TonyB wrote:

>>> It won't work on mine though, so I agree, it's not a clever computer!

>> You have to hold down the - and + buttons together for quite a while
>> before it says 'reset'. You have the newer interior version, right?
>> With the silver facings and the computer in the middle, above the radio?

> That's the one. I've tried holding the buttons in for over a minute and
> eventually
> the display reverts back to the INFO screen.
>
> By the way, what temp should show on the gauge?
> The handbook says the needle should be midway or vertical which
> corresponds to 90º, mine seems to be about 75º.

Thermostat is probably stuck, then. No biggy.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 30th 10, 10:48 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"TonyB" > wrote in message

>>> It won't work on mine though, so I agree, it's not a clever computer!

>> You have to hold down the - and + buttons together for quite a while
>> before it says 'reset'. You have the newer interior version, right? With
>> the silver facings and the computer in the middle, above the radio?

> That's the one. I've tried holding the buttons in for over a minute and
> eventually
> the display reverts back to the INFO screen.
>
> By the way, what temp should show on the gauge?
> The handbook says the needle should be midway or vertical which
> corresponds to 90º, mine seems to be about 75º.

I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree mark. It
normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since new! No affect
on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes over 90 is after a
decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The fans kick in and you can
actually watch the needle come back down.

Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps might be
different, I dunno - expert please...

Old July 30th 10, 06:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
>>> You have to hold down the - and + buttons together for quite a while
>>> before it says 'reset'. You have the newer interior version, right? With
>>> the silver facings and the computer in the middle, above the radio?

>> That's the one. I've tried holding the buttons in for over a minute and
>> eventually
>> the display reverts back to the INFO screen.
>>
>> By the way, what temp should show on the gauge?
>> The handbook says the needle should be midway or vertical which
>> corresponds to 90º, mine seems to be about 75º.

> I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree mark. It
> normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since new! No affect
> on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes over 90 is after a
> decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The fans kick in and you can
> actually watch the needle come back down.
>
> Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps might be
> different, I dunno - expert please...

<expert>
The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it
sticks fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth
from the heater if it sticks open.
</expert>

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
consumption or performance if it's don it since new?

Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
runs rich for longer while warming up.

Old July 30th 10, 06:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

On 30/07/2010 18:11, Catman wrote:
> GT wrote:
>>> That's the one. I've tried holding the buttons in for over a minute
>>> and eventually
>>> the display reverts back to the INFO screen.
>>>
>>> By the way, what temp should show on the gauge?
>>> The handbook says the needle should be midway or vertical which
>>> corresponds to 90º, mine seems to be about 75º.

>> I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree
>> mark. It normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since
>> new! No affect on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes
>> over 90 is after a decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The
>> fans kick in and you can actually watch the needle come back down.
>>
>> Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps
>> might be different, I dunno - expert please...
>>

> <expert>
> The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
> The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it
> sticks fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth
> from the heater if it sticks open.
> </expert>
>
> Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
> consumption or performance if it's don it since new?
>
> Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
> runs rich for longer while warming up.

This debate assumes the read out on the gauge is a fair reflection of
the temperature of the engine. My 156 reads at a similar value and
*seems* to perform adequately......averaging 50mpg if I drive sensibly.
I would have expected the reading to be higher but I've had so many cars
where the temperature gauge seems to be nothing better than a reasonable
indication - nothing precise you understand. And all of the woes I have
suffered with the 156 have, to date, been a direct result of poor
electrics.....giving me the thought that my temperature gauge is just
not as accurate as you might hope.

Anyway, all the above are nothing more than the ramblings of an old
fool. Forgive me?

Old July 30th 10, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Jim wrote:
> On 30/07/2010 18:11, Catman wrote:
>> GT wrote:

>>> I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree
>>> mark. It normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since
>>> new! No affect on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes
>>> over 90 is after a decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The
>>> fans kick in and you can actually watch the needle come back down.
>>>
>>> Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps
>>> might be different, I dunno - expert please...
>>>

>> <expert>
>> The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
>> The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it
>> sticks fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth
>> from the heater if it sticks open.
>> </expert>
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
>> consumption or performance if it's don it since new?
>>
>> Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
>> runs rich for longer while warming up.
>>

> This debate assumes the read out on the gauge is a fair reflection of
> the temperature of the engine. My 156 reads at a similar value and
> *seems* to perform adequately......averaging 50mpg if I drive sensibly.
> I would have expected the reading to be higher but I've had so many cars
> where the temperature gauge seems to be nothing better than a reasonable
> indication - nothing precise you understand. And all of the woes I have
> suffered with the 156 have, to date, been a direct result of poor
> electrics.....giving me the thought that my temperature gauge is just
> not as accurate as you might hope.

A perfectly valid point. OTOH I've never had a malfunctioning temp gauge
in any Alfa.

It's simple. and cheap to test the 'stat. But the real give away is how
soon and how hot does your heater get on a cold day?

> Anyway, all the above are nothing more than the ramblings of an old
> fool. Forgive me?

Of course.

Old August 2nd 10, 11:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>>> That's the one. I've tried holding the buttons in for over a minute and
>>> eventually
>>> the display reverts back to the INFO screen.
>>>
>>> By the way, what temp should show on the gauge?
>>> The handbook says the needle should be midway or vertical which
>>> corresponds to 90º, mine seems to be about 75º.

>> I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree mark.
>> It normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since new! No
>> affect on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes over 90 is
>> after a decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The fans kick in
>> and you can actually watch the needle come back down.
>>
>> Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps might
>> be different, I dunno - expert please...

> <expert>
> The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
> The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it sticks
> fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth from the
> heater if it sticks open.
> </expert>

Mine is the latter - heater is never very warm.

> Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
> consumption or performance if it's don it since new?

Well I suppose I don't, but I figure that my mpg is normal for a 2.0 JTS
petrol: it averages mid 30s to 37mpg normally and managed to get 49.9mph on
a few hundred mile run once. This was a very boring drive (56-60 + motorway
all the way - Edinburgh to Derby and back).

> Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
> runs rich for longer while warming up.

I think mine warms up past the 'rich mix' stage, just not much warmer past
that.

Old August 2nd 10, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:

>>> <expert>
>>> The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
>>> The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it
>>> sticks fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth
>>> from the heater if it sticks open.
>>> </expert>
>>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
>>> consumption or performance if it's don it since new?
>>>
>>> Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
>>> runs rich for longer while warming up.
>>>

>> This debate assumes the read out on the gauge is a fair reflection of the
>> temperature of the engine. My 156 reads at a similar value and *seems* to
>> perform adequately......averaging 50mpg if I drive sensibly. I would have
>> expected the reading to be higher but I've had so many cars where the
>> temperature gauge seems to be nothing better than a reasonable
>> indication - nothing precise you understand. And all of the woes I have
>> suffered with the 156 have, to date, been a direct result of poor
>> electrics.....giving me the thought that my temperature gauge is just not
>> as accurate as you might hope.

> A perfectly valid point. OTOH I've never had a malfunctioning temp gauge
> in any Alfa.
>
> It's simple. and cheap to test the 'stat. But the real give away is how
> soon and how hot does your heater get on a cold day?

For me, from my house its 30-40 roads and traffics lights for the first 10
minutes, then dual carriageway for ages. The heater won't blow any warmth at
all for the 30-40 part and usually starts to get warmth just as I reach the
motorway - nearly 10 minutes before any heat. After the engine has reached
the 75 ish on the guage, the heater never really gets very hot. I know I
should get them to replace the thermostat at the next service. Incidentally,
where is the thermostat - inside the engine, or in the cooling system? Could
I replace it myself?

Old August 2nd 10, 12:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree mark.
>>> It normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since new! No
>>> affect on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes over 90 is
>>> after a decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The fans kick in
>>> and you can actually watch the needle come back down.
>>>
>>> Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps might
>>> be different, I dunno - expert please...

>> <expert>
>> The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
>> The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it sticks
>> fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth from the
>> heater if it sticks open.
>> </expert>

> Mine is the latter - heater is never very warm.

Figures.

>> Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
>> consumption or performance if it's don it since new?

> Well I suppose I don't, but I figure that my mpg is normal for a 2.0 JTS
> petrol: it averages mid 30s to 37mpg normally and managed to get 49.9mph on
> a few hundred mile run once. This was a very boring drive (56-60 + motorway
> all the way - Edinburgh to Derby and back).
>
>> Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
>> runs rich for longer while warming up.

> I think mine warms up past the 'rich mix' stage, just not much warmer past
> that.

Sounds like it. Get it fixed, it's much more pleasant

Old August 2nd 10, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> Jim wrote:

>>> This debate assumes the read out on the gauge is a fair reflection of the
>>> temperature of the engine. My 156 reads at a similar value and *seems* to
>>> perform adequately......averaging 50mpg if I drive sensibly. I would have
>>> expected the reading to be higher but I've had so many cars where the
>>> temperature gauge seems to be nothing better than a reasonable
>>> indication - nothing precise you understand. And all of the woes I have
>>> suffered with the 156 have, to date, been a direct result of poor
>>> electrics.....giving me the thought that my temperature gauge is just not
>>> as accurate as you might hope.

>> A perfectly valid point. OTOH I've never had a malfunctioning temp gauge
>> in any Alfa.
>>
>> It's simple. and cheap to test the 'stat. But the real give away is how
>> soon and how hot does your heater get on a cold day?

> For me, from my house its 30-40 roads and traffics lights for the first 10
> minutes, then dual carriageway for ages. The heater won't blow any warmth at
> all for the 30-40 part and usually starts to get warmth just as I reach the
> motorway - nearly 10 minutes before any heat. After the engine has reached
> the 75 ish on the guage, the heater never really gets very hot. I know I
> should get them to replace the thermostat at the next service. Incidentally,
> where is the thermostat - inside the engine, or in the cooling system? Could
> I replace it myself?

<fx: goes to check[1]>
On the TS it looks like it's at the back of the block. You have the JTS
though innit?

It *looks* like it's back right, where that large black hose goes, but ICBW.

[1] Lucky me. This week SWMBO is in Lincoln. She was going to take the
GTV, natch. Except on Saturday pm she hit a pothole in Epping which
caused her exhaust to sheer. So this morning I waved off the GT and have
the world's noisiest GTV as a run around.

F1 should fix it tomorrow first thing.