Pinging

Old May 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Pinging

Hello all,

My 1991 Miata, just never quit pinging (rattle noise), my mechanic
suggested to fill up with premium gas for a while and add Chevron
Techron, I did that but pinging is still there, with the current gas
price I really want to go back to regular gas, any ideas, suggessions
please.

Abid

Old May 14th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> My 1991 Miata, just never quit pinging (rattle noise), my mechanic
> suggested to fill up with premium gas for a while and add Chevron
> Techron, I did that but pinging is still there, with the current gas
> price I really want to go back to regular gas, any ideas, suggessions
> please.
>
> Abid

My '96 has always pinged (panged? pung?) on 87 octane but not on 91.

Old May 14th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On May 14, 1:26 pm, "Frank Berger" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Hello all,

> > My 1991 Miata, just never quit pinging (rattle noise), my mechanic
> > suggested to fill up with premium gas for a while and add Chevron
> > Techron, I did that but pinging is still there, with the current gas
> > price I really want to go back to regular gas, any ideas, suggessions
> > please.

> > Abid

> My '96 has always pinged (panged? pung?) on 87 octane but not on 91.

Yeah, but the engine in Miata's 91 doesn't require 91, does it.

Old May 15th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> In my experience, as engines age they seem to require higher
> octane fuel to avoid pinging. I presume it's due to the
> buildup of deposits in the cylinders that create hot-spots
> somehow or to degraded performance of engine management
> components.
>
> --

I agree with Grant here, he's got a good point. I'm however, wondering if
the OP is confusing pinging with HLA noise (a 91 miata's security blanket).
He refers to it as "rattle noise".

The lifter noise is unaffected by octane and the OP says he put in the hi
test and it didn't help. Allot of mechanics aren't familiar with the miata's
lifter clatter. The OP should try a fresh oil change (maybe a high mileage
blend) and pay close attention, he may find it disappears for about 25 to
2700 miles. Consider it a 'maintenance required" warning!

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old May 15th 07, 07:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

I'd agree with Chris, and suggest that a bit (few ounces) of "Marvel Mystery
Oil" (or some automatic tranny fluid) be added to the oil.
This did wonders for the tiny lifters in our old Mazda MPV 4cyl. with
213,000 on it.

Old May 15th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On May 14, 8:06 pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> > In my experience, as engines age they seem to require higher
> > octane fuel to avoid pinging. I presume it's due to the
> > buildup of deposits in the cylinders that create hot-spots
> > somehow or to degraded performance of engine management
> > components.

> > --

> I agree with Grant here, he's got a good point. I'm however, wondering if
> the OP is confusing pinging with HLA noise (a 91 miata's security blanket).
> He refers to it as "rattle noise".
>
> The lifter noise is unaffected by octane and the OP says he put in the hi
> test and it didn't help. Allot of mechanics aren't familiar with the miata's
> lifter clatter. The OP should try a fresh oil change (maybe a high mileage
> blend) and pay close attention, he may find it disappears for about 25 to
> 2700 miles. Consider it a 'maintenance required" warning!
>
> Later,
> Chris
> 99BBB

Thanks Chris, I am very well be confuse, I don't even know about HLA,
I will do fresh oil change and fill up with high octane right away.

Old May 15th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:
> On May 14, 8:06 pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>>> In my experience, as engines age they seem to require higher
>>> octane fuel to avoid pinging. I presume it's due to the
>>> buildup of deposits in the cylinders that create hot-spots
>>> somehow or to degraded performance of engine management
>>> components.
>>> --

>> I agree with Grant here, he's got a good point. I'm however, wondering if
>> the OP is confusing pinging with HLA noise (a 91 miata's security blanket).
>> He refers to it as "rattle noise".
>>
>> The lifter noise is unaffected by octane and the OP says he put in the hi
>> test and it didn't help. Allot of mechanics aren't familiar with the miata's
>> lifter clatter. The OP should try a fresh oil change (maybe a high mileage
>> blend) and pay close attention, he may find it disappears for about 25 to
>> 2700 miles. Consider it a 'maintenance required" warning!
>>
>> Later,
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> Thanks Chris, I am very well be confuse, I don't even know about HLA,
> I will do fresh oil change and fill up with high octane right away.

HLA noise is unmistakable - very loud even at idle, and comes from the
very top of the engine. Pinging (or pinking as we say over here)
typically shows up only when the engine is put under load - such as
driving up a steep hill, or under harsh acceleration.

If you think it's the latter, you should have the timing checked. A
former owner may have advanced it to 18 degrees BTDC by mistake - it
happens, as the timing marks are easily confused.
Old May 15th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 14, 1:26 pm, "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > Hello all,

>> > My 1991 Miata, just never quit pinging (rattle noise), my mechanic
>> > suggested to fill up with premium gas for a while and add Chevron
>> > Techron, I did that but pinging is still there, with the current gas
>> > price I really want to go back to regular gas, any ideas, suggessions
>> > please.

>> > Abid

>> My '96 has always pinged (panged? pung?) on 87 octane but not on 91.

> Yeah, but the engine in Miata's 91 doesn't require 91, does it.

Neither does the '96.

Old May 15th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On May 15, 12:07 pm, Zog The Undeniable > wrote:
> wrote:
> >> I agree with Grant here, he's got a good point. I'm however, wondering if
> >> the OP is confusing pinging with HLA noise (a 91 miata's security blanket).
> >> He refers to it as "rattle noise".

> >> The lifter noise is unaffected by octane and the OP says he put in the hi
> >> test and it didn't help. Allot of mechanics aren't familiar with the miata's
> >> lifter clatter. The OP should try a fresh oil change (maybe a high mileage
> >> blend) and pay close attention, he may find it disappears for about 25 to
> >> 2700 miles. Consider it a 'maintenance required" warning!

> >> Later,
> >> Chris
> >> 99BBB

> > Thanks Chris, I am very well be confuse, I don't even know about HLA,
> > I will do fresh oil change and fill up with high octane right away.

> HLA noise is unmistakable - very loud even at idle, and comes from the
> very top of the engine. Pinging (or pinking as we say over here)
> typically shows up only when the engine is put under load - such as
> driving up a steep hill, or under harsh acceleration.
>
> If you think it's the latter, you should have the timing checked. A
> former owner may have advanced it to 18 degrees BTDC by mistake - it
> happens, as the timing marks are easily confused.- Hide quoted text -

Now I am sure it is pinging not HLA, I will have the timing checked.

Is this pinging I'm hearing? [email protected] VW air cooled 10 June 11th 06 01:49 AM
Pinging Jeep Runk Technology 2 October 4th 05 02:24 PM
Gas Pinging Gary Mazda 3 September 18th 05 03:56 AM
valves or pinging? chibitul Honda 4 August 10th 05 10:49 PM
Pinging Ford Mustang 20 November 15th 04 09:58 PM