Pinging

Old May 16th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Pinging

> This did wonders for the tiny lifters in our old Mazda MPV 4cyl. with
> 213,000 on it.

there was a 4 cyl avail? I had the V6 once upon a time, wasn't aware they
offered a 4.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 16th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Thanks Chris, I am very well be confuse, I don't even know about HLA,
> I will do fresh oil change and fill up with high octane right away.
>

>Don't bother with the high octane. If it hasn't helped, you're throwing
>(lots of) good money after (lots of) bad! You can read up on "HLA Noise" on
>miata.net along with anything and everything about miatas. HLA stands for
>Hydraulic Lash Adjusters but they are commonly referred to simply as
>lifters. The miata's tend to get "tired" and get a bit noisy. It's not as
>scary as it sounds, they'll go on and on and on.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB

Old May 16th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Now I am sure it is pinging not HLA, I will have the timing checked.

Well, sounds are tough in text ;-) but, if the high octane didn't help, it
makes it somewhat less likely it's the timing issue. Not saying it can't be,
just less likely. By the way, 10 BTDC is spec but I strongly recommend 14
BTDC for extra seat-of-the-pants low end torque.

Let us know the result!
Chris
99BBB

Old May 16th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-05-16, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:

>> Now I am sure it is pinging not HLA, I will have the timing checked.
>>

> Well, sounds are tough in text ;-) but, if the high octane
> didn't help, it makes it somewhat less likely it's the timing
> issue.

If the timing is really whacked, then it might still ping on 91
in warm weather. But, changing from 87 to 91 should have
reduced it. OTOH, you'd think he'd have lost enough
compression by now that it wouldn't be a big problem.

If it's louder at idle/cold, then it's lifters. If it's
lounder when it's hot and you're trying to accellerate in high
gear, it's pinging. If it's the latter and 91 octane doesn't
help much, he might want to try a tank of 93 or 94 if he can
find some.

He also might want to check the plug wires to make sure their
not worn out, loose, or mis-connected. Bad wires will make an
engine sound funny (though it doesn't usally sound like real
"pinging").

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hmmm... a CRIPPLED
at ACCOUNTANT with a FALAFEL
Old May 16th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> If it's louder at idle/cold, then it's lifters. If it's
> lounder when it's hot and you're trying to accellerate in high
> gear, it's pinging.

Let's make this simple. Your engine won't ping when your foot's off the
throttle. HLA clatter doesn't care what the throttle is doing.
Old May 17th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> If it's louder at idle/cold, then it's lifters. If it's
>> lounder when it's hot and you're trying to accellerate in high
>> gear, it's pinging.

> Let's make this simple. Your engine won't ping when your foot's off the
> throttle. HLA clatter doesn't care what the throttle is doing.

My HLA clatter seems to come and go as it it pleases, though it tends to be
worse after 2500-3000 miles and worse when the engine is hot (the opposite
of what Grant said).

Old May 21st 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Let's make this simple. Your engine won't ping when your foot's off the
> throttle. HLA clatter doesn't care what the throttle is doing.

Thank you, the KIS principal!

Chris
99BBB

Old May 21st 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> My HLA clatter seems to come and go as it it pleases, though it tends to
> be worse after 2500-3000 miles and worse when the engine is hot (the
> opposite of what Grant said).

I remember it being the way you describe also. The thicker / cold oil
lessened the noise, the hotter / thinner / older oil, accentuated the noise.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 21st 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

It was actually the better of the two engines. Seems that it had the Japco/
auto tranny, instead of the electronic one used with the 6cyl.
The tranny was (so I'm told) originally intended for taxicabs. The 4 cyl
was a very good long lived engine, without many of the problems associated
with the v6 engines.
The 4cyl was also available with a standard tranny, although it was not very
popular, and the length of the shift lever was something to behold.

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message

> > This did wonders for the tiny lifters in our old Mazda MPV 4cyl. with
> > 213,000 on it.

> there was a 4 cyl avail? I had the V6 once upon a time, wasn't aware they
> offered a 4.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Is this pinging I'm hearing? [email protected] VW air cooled 10 June 11th 06 01:49 AM
Pinging Jeep Runk Technology 2 October 4th 05 02:24 PM
Gas Pinging Gary Mazda 3 September 18th 05 03:56 AM
valves or pinging? chibitul Honda 4 August 10th 05 10:49 PM
Pinging Ford Mustang 20 November 15th 04 09:58 PM