Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle

Old March 29th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Ode to Pat

> Your 40's or the 1940's? <g>

Nice!

Chris
99BBB

Old March 29th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default tortoise talk (was Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle) NMC

> Absolutely, but I thought that difference in terminology only existed in
> British English and that American English used the word "turtle" for both
> the land and water-borne varieties? Or is it just that people falsely use
> "turtle" for everything?

I actually had no idea! I have to plead ignorance on that one. Thanks for
the info.

Chris
99BBB

Old March 29th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Scott Hughes wrote:

> So, as someone with no particular interest in turtles and a victim* of
> American English, I had to look up the difference between the two..
> Here's a reasonable description:
> http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/faq.html#difference
>
> -Scott
>
> *victim: someone who blames their own ignorance on the most convenient
> scape goat

Another victim, ha!

r.a.m.m. - the newsgroup about fast-moving cars and slow-moving
animals.... :-)

Pat
Old March 29th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> The gospel according to St. Encyclopedia Britannica:
>
> turtle
> Any of more than 250 species (order Chelonia) of reptiles having a bony
> shell overlaid with horny shields; found in most parts of the world.
>
> tortoise
> Any of some 40 species (family Testudinidae) of slow-moving,
> terrestrial, herbivorous turtles, found in the Old and New Worlds but
> chiefly in Africa and Madagascar.
>
> So tortoises are turtles but turtles aren't always tortoises.
>
> I learned something, I didn't know tortoises are included in the term
> "turtle".

You taught me something too.

Now I have to confuse my friends even further by explaining that yes she
is a turtle and a tortoise, but still keep her out of any water above
her head.....

Man!

Pat
Old March 29th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> No, no, no, Pat, it's the 70's you're not supposed to be able to
> remember! <g>
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata
> (Seventies? What seventies?)

No, I still have clear memories of early childhood from that decade.

It was not until the 1980's that I was experimenting with recreational
drugs, or doing full-scale research, depending on how you look at it.

I did not, however, inhale, even once, so I am still good to go when I
run for office. :-)

Pat

Old March 29th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> And for others of us, it is the '50s.
>
> And '60s. And 70s'. And '80s. And '90s. And '00s.
>
> And 30 seconds ago.
>
> Leon

Absolutely, though I can't speak for the 50's, and I was only around for
26 days in the 1960's.

Now what were you talking about? I already forgot. :-)

Pat
Old March 29th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> I actually had no idea! I have to plead ignorance on that one. Thanks for
> the info.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Yet you are the only person here to have seen her except on video. Of
course, we were talking about miatas instead of animals, something that
should probably be done here as well.

Nah! Check out this video of a tortoise defending his territory against
cats. He hauls ass.
I normally would not condone a making film like this, but neither
creature could really hurt the other.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0gfCyeiyM

pat

Old March 29th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

> Yet you are the only person here to have seen her except on video. Of
> course, we were talking about miatas instead of animals, something that
> should probably be done here as well.
>
> Nah! Check out this video of a tortoise defending his territory against
> cats. He hauls ass.
> I normally would not condone a making film like this, but neither creature
> could really hurt the other.
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0gfCyeiyM
>
> pat

ROFL!!! That's one mean tortoise, I wouldn't want to get in a tangle with
that one......

Old March 30th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article >,
Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Iva" .> wrote:
>
> > No, no, no, Pat, it's the 70's you're not supposed to be able to
> > remember! <g>

> Young whippersnapper. For some of us, it's the '60s.

Like they say, "If you remember the 60s, you probably weren't there"

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Which route is this? Carl Rogers Driving 1 February 1st 07 09:23 AM
Good mechanic in the Seattle / north of Seattle area? Jacqueline Passey Honda 0 November 15th 06 10:40 PM
Following old Route 66 bessie Driving 13 July 28th 06 06:43 PM
STL to ATL alternate route [email protected] Driving 3 February 21st 06 03:48 PM
Route 23 Honda - NJ - Where is the SERVICE??? [email protected] Honda 2 September 20th 05 05:43 AM