Problem time...

Old July 30th 12, 12:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default Problem time...

The 159 1.9jtdm has started saying 'have engine checked'. The familiar
yellow engine light stays on too. The 156 always did this and I learned to
ignore it!

Car is running fine, no splutters, no bad noises, no smells, fuel
consumption normal. Its done 3-4k miles in the last month or so, but nowhere
near service time.

Anyone experience of this model/engine? Is it crying wolf, or should I
actually be concerned?

Cheers,
GT

Old July 30th 12, 12:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"GT" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> The 159 1.9jtdm has started saying 'have engine checked'. The familiar
> yellow engine light stays on too. The 156 always did this and I learned to
> ignore it!
>
> Car is running fine, no splutters, no bad noises, no smells, fuel
> consumption normal. Its done 3-4k miles in the last month or so, but
> nowhere near service time.
>
> Anyone experience of this model/engine? Is it crying wolf, or should I
> actually be concerned?
>
> Cheers,
> GT

I still have the VAG lead that I used in the 156. I presume the socket is in
the fuse box under the steering wheel? What software would we all
recommend - free is best!

Old July 30th 12, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"SteveH" wrote in message
.. .

GT > wrote:

> "GT" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
> > The 159 1.9jtdm has started saying 'have engine checked'. The familiar
> > yellow engine light stays on too. The 156 always did this and I learned
> > ignore it!
> >
> > Car is running fine, no splutters, no bad noises, no smells, fuel
> > consumption normal. Its done 3-4k miles in the last month or so, but
> > nowhere near service time.
> >
> > Anyone experience of this model/engine? Is it crying wolf, or should I
> > actually be concerned?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > GT

> I still have the VAG lead that I used in the 156. I presume the socket is
> in
> the fuse box under the steering wheel? What software would we all
> recommend - free is best!

I use AlfaDiag, but it's not free.

You need to modify the lead to read the airbag ECU on an Alfa.

My 156 is doing the same. It usually goes off after a day or two. What seems
to bring it on is
wet weather or a car wash or a change of fuel. By that I mean the light
comes on if I suddenly start using
a Redex additive or stop using it.

Haven't pinpointed the cause but I'm not worried.

TonyB

Old July 31st 12, 08:17 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

SteveH spoke:
> I use AlfaDiag, but it's not free.

I use Alfa Diag and it *is* free!

The box/lead was norra lot from fleabay.

A bit crippled, and times out after 10 minutes, but still
free and shows all the error codes and allows you to clear
them.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old July 31st 12, 10:05 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"TonyB" > wrote in message

> "SteveH" wrote in message
> .. .
>
> GT > wrote:
>
>> "GT" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>> > The 159 1.9jtdm has started saying 'have engine checked'. The familiar
>> > yellow engine light stays on too. The 156 always did this and I learned
>> > ignore it!
>> >
>> > Car is running fine, no splutters, no bad noises, no smells, fuel
>> > consumption normal. Its done 3-4k miles in the last month or so, but
>> > nowhere near service time.
>> >
>> > Anyone experience of this model/engine? Is it crying wolf, or should I
>> > actually be concerned?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > GT

>> I still have the VAG lead that I used in the 156. I presume the socket is
>> in
>> the fuse box under the steering wheel? What software would we all
>> recommend - free is best!

> I use AlfaDiag, but it's not free.
>
> You need to modify the lead to read the airbag ECU on an Alfa.
>

> My 156 is doing the same. It usually goes off after a day or two. What
> seems to bring it on is
> wet weather or a car wash or a change of fuel. By that I mean the light
> comes on if I suddenly start using
> a Redex additive or stop using it.
>
> Haven't pinpointed the cause but I'm not worried.
>
> TonyB

Mine has had Sainsbury's diesel since I got it in march.. Its just done trip
to france and had 3 different fuels and no problem. It was brimmed with
Sainsbury's fuel for its latest trip, then I filled up 3/4 tank at Total in
Yeadow way, Blackpool, then a 200 mile drive to Penicuik. Stopped for 2
hours, then a restart fired up the message. A few short trips later and the
message has gone again.

Old July 31st 12, 11:47 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"R C Nesbit" wrote in message ...

SteveH spoke:
> I use AlfaDiag, but it's not free.

I use Alfa Diag and it *is* free!

The box/lead was norra lot from fleabay.

A bit crippled, and times out after 10 minutes, but still
free and shows all the error codes and allows you to clear
them.

My light went out today too. I'm beginning to think it's related to the full
moon.

However, some lads on the 'net say it's either a faulty maf sensor or a
faulty crankshaft sensor,
neither of which are important.

TonyB