It just tots up

Old November 24th 11, 02:21 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default It just tots up

The 156 was overdue an oil & filter change, and lacking any
handy tuits I book it into the local (trustworthy) garage.

£75 for an oil & filter change, or £95 for a 'basic
service' which includes oil & filter + general checking of
stuff.

Phone call mid morning - "rear brake pads almost down to
metal!"

Told them to go ahead and change them.

Phone call late morning "Cars done, but just noticed the
MOT is due next week, should we do that now as well?"

So the £95 ended up as £217 - more than twice what I
expected, but probably reasonable for the work done.

On a related note, the front n/s sidelight bulb went AWOL,
so I got one from the local car shop (They are all like
this, it'll be OK - £1.20 please)

Spent a pleasant 1/2 hour mangling fingers to extract the
bulb - new one all wrong! took it back, had to order one -
WTF is the sidelight bulb a halogen bulb £5.00 a pop?

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old November 29th 11, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
R C Nesbit > wrote:

> On a related note, the front n/s sidelight bulb went AWOL,
> so I got one from the local car shop (They are all like
> this, it'll be OK - £1.20 please)
>
> Spent a pleasant 1/2 hour mangling fingers to extract the
> bulb - new one all wrong! took it back, had to order one -
> WTF is the sidelight bulb a halogen bulb £5.00 a pop?

Yup, expensive little things. Some people aparently are
able to jam the cheap version in the socket. That's some
extra fun for the next bulb change. Especially when they
also managed to break off the grip that makes it a little
less hard to get get the socket out of the holder.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Unfair animal names:

-- tsetse fly -- bullhead
-- booby -- duck-billed platypus
-- sapsucker -- Clarence