156 on the blink

Old October 8th 10, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default 156 on the blink

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> With money, all things are possible I spose. I would imagine it would be
>> very expensive though. On the Sprint you'd have to do two chains, plus
>> other stuff that I'm not familiar with. On the Giulietta that would be
>> water pump, cams, bottom end, oh and they'd both need some kind of
>> tensioner.

> And a lubrication system.

Oh yes, forgot that bit. And it would need to be enclosed, or the engine
would get *very* messy.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 8th 10, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Dave Savage wrote:
> "Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
>> "Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
>>> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
>>> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
>>> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to
>>> go there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>>>
>>> --
>>> regards,
>>> Malcolm Osborne
>>> Sedgefield, South Africa
>>> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

>> Unfortunately turns out to be the cambelt that went - usual small fortune
>> to fix!
>>
>> The cambelt was last changed at 220 000Km (136700m), now its coming up for
>> 280 000Km (174 000m). Thats 60 000Km (37282m) service life. Its supposed
>> to be well within the recommended distance.
>>
>> I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these
>> days - it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not
>> used?
>>
>> The repair quote is R19 000 - ~ £1727. How does that compare to UK prices?
>>
>> regards,
>> Malcolm Osborne
>> Sedgefield, South Africa
>> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km
>>

> Eeeeekkkkk !!! Just spotted the £1727. I reckon that's at least twice
> what the car is worth, so I assume you're intent on driving it into the
> ground, or at least until it becomes "un-fixable". I'm in the same
> situation, though I need to do a few more miles to catch up with you. Good
> luck with the repairs !

I kind of assumed that a sane person would go with dropping another
engine in, having had the belts changed on the bench where it's much
easier and cheaper.
Ebay seem to be listing 2.9 TS for about £350-£400, but Autlolusso are
offering a Cambelt repair for £850

230395927693 if anyone is interested.

Old October 8th 10, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Charlie Money wrote:
> The listed cambelt change interval on my 2005 1.9 JTD 156 SW is 70,000

Very different engine.
> miles. Just done the 2nd change at 132,000 miles though as there were
> visual signs of wear.

Sensible.

Old October 9th 10, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> SteveH wrote:
>> Catman > wrote:
>>
>>> With money, all things are possible I spose. I would imagine it would be
>>> very expensive though. On the Sprint you'd have to do two chains, plus
>>> other stuff that I'm not familiar with. On the Giulietta that would be
>>> water pump, cams, bottom end, oh and they'd both need some kind of
>>> tensioner.

>> And a lubrication system.

> Oh yes, forgot that bit. And it would need to be enclosed, or the engine
> would get *very* messy.

So, in short... "no".

Old October 9th 10, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> SteveH wrote:

>>> And a lubrication system.

>> Oh yes, forgot that bit. And it would need to be enclosed, or the engine
>> would get *very* messy.

> So, in short... "no".

Not without a *lot* of money.

Old October 10th 10, 10:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> Oh yes, forgot that bit. And it would need to be enclosed, or the engine
>>> would get *very* messy.

>> So, in short... "no".

> Not without a *lot* of money.

And swearing.

Old October 11th 10, 05:58 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> So, in short... "no".

>> Not without a *lot* of money.

> And swearing.

Business as usual, then

Old October 14th 10, 01:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Malcolm Osborne

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> That's what it was revised *to*.

>> I know that - I just meant that in old money, they expected them to last
>> longer. I though the 36k limit was erring on side of caution and for one
>> to go around that figure is pretty unlucky!
>>

> Oh sorry! Mea culpa!
>
>> Does driving style age them prematurely? Hard driving = hard wearing
>> timing belt, or does it not work like that with them?

> I'm with SteveH. It's a steel band, covered in rubber. You leave it in the
> same position[1] for some time, the steel will kink, and the rubber will
> harden.
> As ene fule kno, a kink is where it *WILL* break.
>
> [1] Renews mental note to *NOT* start either Sprint of Giulietta no matter
> how tempted.
>

> --

A cambelt woud be a deterrent to anyone contemplating keeping a `classic'
car so equipped for the long term as a collection item (Alfa GTV?)

Such a car brought out of storage for a show or parade would be in danger of
cambelt failure. Would have to be towed or trucked around.

--
regards,
Malcolm Osborne

Old October 14th 10, 03:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Malcolm Osborne wrote:

<snip>

> A cambelt woud be a deterrent to anyone contemplating keeping a `classic'
> car so equipped for the long term as a collection item (Alfa GTV?)

See my .sig? We have two

> Such a car brought out of storage for a show or parade would be in danger of
> cambelt failure. Would have to be towed or trucked around.

Not really quite that bad IMNSHO. Mine have been stationary for > 3
years though. Tax them for 6 months out each year, run them around a
bit, and they're fine.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Jeep A/C and Heater on Blink !! Related ?? James[_1_] Jeep 5 November 2nd 09 02:50 PM
Air Bag Blink Codes coolmiata Mazda 4 May 28th 06 01:12 AM
96 T&C AC blower on the blink Fieronut Chrysler 2 July 31st 05 12:47 PM
Blink Blink Blink Blink Larry Scholnick Driving 30 December 30th 04 11:35 PM
Turn Signals, Sometimes will not blink. Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 7 October 14th 04 10:44 PM