Used A6 Avant opinions?

Old November 20th 06, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Used A6 Avant opinions?

Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of an Audi A6 avant 2000, with 60K and
the 2.8 v6 tiptonic. My concern is maintenance cost. I would
appreciate any advice/data that you may have to help me with this
purchase. The car will be used as a daily driver in New England 400
miles a week. What should I look for at my pre-purchase inspection?
Does anyone have any records of their maintenance dollars?

Thank You.

Old November 20th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

You should ask if the timing belt and associated parts have already been changed
(probably not). If not that is an expense that you should consider as part of
the cost in the next 10M or so. Cost can range from $600 to $1,200 depending on
where it is done.

Suspension may squeak like in the A4 models. Ask about it.

The 2.8 engine is really quite dependable but most have a tendency to leak oil
from the cam seals and valve covers. When they do you can smell it in the cabin
at times. If this one leaks and you want it to stop plan on about $600 to correct.

It is a good car and should provide dependable and comfortable service.

TonyJ
'04 A4 1.8TQM

Old November 21st 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
eBob.com

I bought a used 1995 2.8 Quattro wagon which I think had about 30K miles on
it and traded it at about 140K miles. Then I bought a used 1998 2.8 Quattro
wagon which had around 25K miles on it and traded it at around 140K miles.
Then I bought a used 2003 which I am still driving. The 95 and the 98 never
had any expensive problems. I think that the largest bill I ever had was
around $300. Once they were out of warranty they were maintained by a local
mechanic. (The 98, by the way, I sold to the mechanic!) Neither car ever
left me stranded. (Unlike the 2003 which had a fuel pump failure on an
Interstate.)

Bob

oups.com...