And you think Gas is expensive in the US ?

Old August 9th 05, 10:39 PM
Pooh Bear

Default And you think Gas is expensive in the US ?

Recent oil price rises have pushed the pump price of UK standard grade
95RON petrol over the 90p / litre mark. Some filling stations in more
remote loacations are reported to be selling at > £1.00 / litre.

That's > £4 a gallon ( UK gallon ) at the lower price.

The average pump price here corresponds to around $6 per US gallon.

Graham

Old August 10th 05, 12:07 AM
RenaultForums team

Uhm - it's not good! I suppose the problem is expanding economies like China
using more and more oil. If this is the case - can't see it improving for
the foreseeable future!

MK

http://www.RenaultForums.co.uk

Old August 10th 05, 12:44 AM
Arif Khokar

RenaultForums team wrote:

> Uhm - it's not good! I suppose the problem is expanding economies like China
> using more and more oil. If this is the case - can't see it improving for
> the foreseeable future!

What makes me wonder is how China and India all of a sudden started
using a lot more fuel just a year ago. I assure you that they've had
traffic problems and have been using quite a lot of fuel for years
before that. It's only recently that the prices have shot up, so I
don't believe that those countries are directly to blame.

IMO, what really makes gas prices go up are those US initiated wars in
the Middle East. Back before the first Gulf war, gas prices were less
than a dollar per gallon typically. During and after the war, the price
went up over 50 percent (regular went up to $1.30 or $1.40 per gallon
from 80 or 90¢).

It took years for the prices to drop back down to their former levels
(from 1990 through 1998). After the second Gulf War, gas prices started
approaching and exceeding $2 per gallon. They still haven't come down.
Old August 10th 05, 01:44 AM
Old Wolf

Pooh Bear wrote:
> Recent oil price rises have pushed the pump price of UK standard grade
> 95RON petrol over the 90p / litre mark. Some filling stations in more
> remote loacations are reported to be selling at > =A31.00 / litre.
>
> That's > =A34 a gallon ( UK gallon ) at the lower price.
>
> The average pump price here corresponds to around $6 per US gallon.

UK taxes the hell out of petrol. Petrol prices are pretty much
the same everywhere, before government taxes are added.

Old August 10th 05, 01:57 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Pooh Bear" > wrote in message
> Recent oil price rises have pushed the pump price of UK standard grade
> 95RON petrol over the 90p / litre mark. Some filling stations in more
> remote loacations are reported to be selling at > £1.00 / litre.
>
> That's > £4 a gallon ( UK gallon ) at the lower price.
>
> The average pump price here corresponds to around $6 per US gallon.

And I pay $160.00 per month for health insurance,
I bet you pay less, huh?

Old August 10th 05, 04:49 AM
DTJ

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:44:02 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>IMO, what really makes gas prices go up are those US initiated wars in
>the Middle East. Back before the first Gulf war, gas prices were less
>than a dollar per gallon typically. During and after the war, the price
>went up over 50 percent (regular went up to $1.30 or $1.40 per gallon
>from 80 or 90¢).

**** you. Terrorists started this war, we will end it. Sucked allahs
dick lately?
Old August 10th 05, 08:38 AM
Kenneth P. Stox

Pooh Bear wrote:
> Recent oil price rises have pushed the pump price of UK standard grade
> 95RON petrol over the 90p / litre mark. Some filling stations in more
> remote loacations are reported to be selling at > £1.00 / litre.
>
> That's > £4 a gallon ( UK gallon ) at the lower price.
>
> The average pump price here corresponds to around $6 per US gallon.

I thought the imperial gallon was 5 quarts, or just short of 5 liters.
Old August 10th 05, 01:05 PM
kamyar

>>IMO, what really makes gas prices go up are those US initiated wars in
>>the Middle East. Back before the first Gulf war, gas prices were less
>>than a dollar per gallon typically. During and after the war, the price
>>went up over 50 percent (regular went up to $1.30 or $1.40 per gallon
>>from 80 or 90¢).

> **** you. Terrorists started this war, we will end it. Sucked allahs
> dick lately?

damn.

Old August 10th 05, 01:15 PM
John S.

Pooh Bear wrote:
> Recent oil price rises have pushed the pump price of UK standard grade
> 95RON petrol over the 90p / litre mark. Some filling stations in more
> remote loacations are reported to be selling at > =A31.00 / litre.
>
> That's > =A34 a gallon ( UK gallon ) at the lower price.
>
> The average pump price here corresponds to around $6 per US gallon.

But isn't the price in UK higher because of local taxes added on to the
base price of gasoline? If your country chooses to fund government
programs with taxes at the gasoline pump that does not mean that the
real price of gasoline is somehow magically lower in the U.S.

Old August 10th 05, 02:01 PM
Pooh Bear

"Kenneth P. Stox" wrote:

> Pooh Bear wrote:
> > Recent oil price rises have pushed the pump price of UK standard grade
> > 95RON petrol over the 90p / litre mark. Some filling stations in more
> > remote loacations are reported to be selling at > £1.00 / litre.
> >
> > That's > £4 a gallon ( UK gallon ) at the lower price.
> >
> > The average pump price here corresponds to around $6 per US gallon.

> I thought the imperial gallon was 5 quarts, or just short of 5 liters.

It is - 4.55 litres in fact. I made all the relevant conversions in my post.

Graham