newbie 4x4

Old January 27th 05, 04:05 AM
Eddy Long

Default newbie 4x4

Greetings all,
Is there a FAQ as to when to use 4WD vs. 2WD with Jeep Cherokee 1999-2001.

Road pavement, conditions, etc...

Also is there a .pdf file or URL with photos of the manual - or something
similar - that gives the viewer the sequence of how to use the 4WD gear
shift? Can you shift while driving or should it be idle?

Many thanks from a 4x4 newbie...
Eddy

Old January 27th 05, 05:26 AM
Marc

I used my 95 in high 4 whenever off road, and low 4 when I needed to craw
through some real tough terrain.

These Jeeps will always be my favorite (I have small family that likes to go
too).

Old February 4th 05, 04:34 AM
Lon

Eddy Long proclaimed:

> Greetings all,
> Is there a FAQ as to when to use 4WD vs. 2WD with Jeep Cherokee 1999-2001.
>
> Road pavement, conditions, etc...

Yeah, plus the rec autos makers jeep + willys newsgroup.
Only when it is quite slippery. If you use it on anything else you
can damage the transfer case. Slippery as in your wheels would
slip without it. Watch driving on heavily crowned icy roads in
that type of 4wd... it may slide you in the ditch.

> Also is there a .pdf file or URL with photos of the manual - or something
> similar - that gives the viewer the sequence of how to use the 4WD gear
> shift? Can you shift while driving or should it be idle?

The Daimler-Chrysler Jeep website at www.jeep.com has a link "for
owners" that will eventually take you to their publication division.
The direct location to the website is www.techauthority.com where
you can not only order an Owners Manual, you can also get the
Factory Service Manual that can save you hundreds of dollars on
repairs even if you don't do them yourself.

> Many thanks from a 4x4 newbie...

...Enjoy.

Old February 4th 05, 04:36 AM
Lon

Marc proclaimed:

> I used my 95 in high 4 whenever off road, and low 4 when I needed to craw
> through some real tough terrain.

The original poster is talking about a different transfer case
entirely. The ones that offer 2 WD and 4 WD do not have open or
limited slip differentials and *will* be damaged if driven in
4wd on anything that doesn't actually allow slip between the
front and rear wheels. It can also bind up the drive train so
it won't shift out of 4wd.