A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Carburaror (again)

Old March 28th 15, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ivan Vegvary[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Carburaror (again)

1948 Pontiac Carter 2brl. Professionally rebuilt 12 years ago, driven 2000 miles and unused since.
Idles nicely. Severe hesitation (stall) if pedal slightly depressed. All speeds. Only way to pull away in an intersection is to stomp on the gas. Replaced accelerator pump, no change. Swapped with 1952 Pontiac carb and all OK, telling me that vacuum advance and electronics is fine.
My amateur opinion is that stepping on the gas introduces an inordinate amount of air.
All advice appreciated. Not a lot of carb repair people left. I'm in the Portland, OR vicinity.
Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Ads
Old March 28th 15, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Carburaror (again)

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 1948 Pontiac Carter 2brl. Professionally rebuilt 12 years ago, driven 2000 miles and unused since.
> Idles nicely. Severe hesitation (stall) if pedal slightly depressed. All speeds. Only way to pull away in an intersection is to stomp on the gas. Replaced accelerator pump, no change. Swapped with 1952 Pontiac carb and all OK, telling me that vacuum advance and electronics is fine.
> My amateur opinion is that stepping on the gas introduces an inordinate amount of air.
> All advice appreciated. Not a lot of carb repair people left. I'm in the Portland, OR vicinity.
> Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. Age and non use = crud/dried fuel in
fuel passages, gaskets dried out.

Real simple carb to go through.

--
Steve W.