Running rough and lack of power

Old November 15th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Default Running rough and lack of power

After running perfectly for a while, my '66 has decided to throw a
tantrum and cunningly find new ways in which to confuse me

Basically, when I am driving the car there is a lack of power in the
second half of the gear ranges. Idling seems to be fine, and
acceleration of the car when idle seems fine too.

However, when driving the problem becomes apparent! In first gear at
about 12mph the acceleration goes completely flat. Second gear about
18mph. Third gear 30mph and 4th about 40mph. The car WILL NOT go
faster than these speeds in those gears. Also a hill near where I live
the car struggles to get up it in second, whereas it always managed it
no problem before (not a particularly steep hill either). Acceleration
before the flat spots is poor.

When running, the sound of the engine goes "flat"... as in the
pup-pup-pup-pup-pup sound of the engine stays at the same frequency
instead of changing with the revs as it should.

Any idea what the problem can be? Spark plugs and points where new
when I serviced the car in late August. I've cleaned and gapped the
plugs and points, and also reset the ignition timing (static, as per
the owners book). I've also checked the plug leads, sprayed WD40 into
the ends and made sure they are seated correctly. Cleaned inside the
distributor cap.

I also found some oil on the contacts of the coil, so if it's possibly
blown I replaced it with my spare 6v blue coil. That seemed to cure
the problems of acceleration in 1st gear, but only for about 30
seconds.

I haven't touched the carburettor, since it was set up by a friend at
a show a month ago... and ran beautifully after that.

Engine is completely stock Fseries '66 1300 SP, bar the 6v Bosch blue
coil which I fitted tonight and the fuel pump is a Brazilian unit
about 18 months old. All hoses are in place, oil level is OK, exhaust
doesn't appear to be holed. Valve clearances where done in July, but I
have not checked them! New manifold fitted in September.

This problem has only occured in the last few days!!

Any ideas? It's driving me mad!!!~~~
--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old November 15th 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Hey Howard, I'd check the vacuum on the distributor. It would give a
similar problem, as the engine will not advance correctly to allow it to
give the extra power required for more speed. You know how to test this, I
assume.

Gaz

Old November 15th 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

My idea too, i once forgot to put back the advance hose on the dizzy.
Gave the same problems...

Roger

"Gaz Pike" > schreef in bericht

Old November 15th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:13:54 +0100, "bug '59"
> wrote:

>My idea too, i once forgot to put back the advance hose on the dizzy.
>Gave the same problems...
>
>Roger

It does seem like the vacuum advance is not working but I've tested
and it seems ok. The symptoms are similar, but more severe I think.

Any suggestions on how to check air leaks from the manifold? I did
not fit it, and apparently it did need tweaking a fair amount to fit
properly. Although it was put on in September it's been fine up to
now...
Old November 15th 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

> It does seem like the vacuum advance is not working but I've tested
> and it seems ok. The symptoms are similar, but more severe I think.
>
> Any suggestions on how to check air leaks from the manifold? I did
> not fit it, and apparently it did need tweaking a fair amount to fit
> properly. Although it was put on in September it's been fine up to
> now...
> --
> Howard Rose
> 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
> 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe
> 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
> http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars on website)

Sorry no idea on how to search for leaks on the manifold. Did you check all
the bolds and nuts connected to the manifold? The 4 nuts (10mm) on the base
of the manifold are pretty difficult to reach (and to be tightened).
I'm told once, that if the manifold is frozen cold it is likely that it is
clogged, however i'm not sure it is the issue here.

good luck
Roger

Old November 15th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

To test for inlet leaks, get a jar of soapy water and paint it with a brush
onto all the joints, one at a time with the engine running. If the idle
rises as you apply it, that's your leak.

Gaz

Old November 15th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

is you accelerator cable opening the carb up fully as sometimes they can
slip where they clamp on at the carb...had the same problem ....get someone
to put there foot down on the pedal and then check at the carb end and see
if the carb has opened fully on the lever..

dave

Old November 16th 05, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Hi Howard

May seem stupid but This is how I bought my super cheap. Same symptoms - The
HT leads were on in the wrong order. The owner couldnt figuer it out :-)
Just check then incase :-)

As for the manifold leak, I seem to remember, you can test by spraying WD40
or similar on the manifold. As the liquid is thiker than air you can tell
the difference whilst reving if there is a leak ?

Hope you get it sorted

Rich

Old November 16th 05, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Was that after you got the two Minis?
You're taking quite a chance dividing your affection in that way. ;-)

I doubt if it's an air leak, as at full throttle there's no significant vacuum
in the manifold - well, not compared with idle anyway.

Sounds like you may be losing one or two of the cylinder firings as the rpm
rises - that would explain why the pop-pop sounds similar frequency as when rpm
is less.

Check the resistance of the rotor arm (5Kohms?) and the leads (1Kohms?) - look
for open circuit or inconsistent readings - I assume you have wire leads, not
the old carbon filled ones?

Were the plugs all similar colour when you cleaned them? Any sign of misfiring?

Apart from vacuum advance unit, already discussed, you may have a blocked main
jet, or possibly a bit of rubber in the needle valve that is restricting flow.

Failing all that, a compression check might be in order, but valve problems
would usually give symptoms at idle too.

Have you tried pulling a plug lead at a time, to see if one cylinder isn't doing
much?

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

Old November 16th 05, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Howard Rose wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:13:54 +0100, "bug '59"
> > wrote:
>
>>My idea too, i once forgot to put back the advance hose on the dizzy.
>>Gave the same problems...
>>
>>Roger

> It does seem like the vacuum advance is not working but I've tested
> and it seems ok. The symptoms are similar, but more severe I think.
>
> Any suggestions on how to check air leaks from the manifold? I did
> not fit it, and apparently it did need tweaking a fair amount to fit
> properly. Although it was put on in September it's been fine up to
> now...

What about the condenser??