A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Honda
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Honda Accord 2000 -- Bearing replacement question

Old March 17th 16, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Honda Accord 2000 -- Bearing replacement question

2000-Accord-4DR-EX with ~105,000 miles. The car when driving above 35 mph, a strange noise comes from the right rear; on highway it is even louder at 65mph. Anyway the mechanic diagnosed it as 'bearing' problem for the right rear wheel.

He quoted $350 for replacement part and labor. He wants to replace bearing and also the rotor. My question is why rotor also needs replacement? Thanks for any replies.
Ads
Old March 18th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jay[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 12:33:58 PM UTC-4, SadaYama wrote:
> 2000-Accord-4DR-EX with ~105,000 miles. The car when driving above 35 mph, a strange noise comes from the right rear; on highway it is even louder at 65mph. Anyway the mechanic diagnosed it as 'bearing' problem for the right rear wheel.
>
> He quoted $350 for replacement part and labor. He wants to replace bearing and also the rotor. My question is why rotor also needs replacement? Thanks for any replies.

Good question, probably not ness. but if it was running back and forth and is warped badly or worn too thin then replace it. Have him check the thickness of the rotor to decide.
Old March 18th 16, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 9:47:11 AM UTC-4, jay wrote:
> On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 12:33:58 PM UTC-4, SadaYama wrote:
> > 2000-Accord-4DR-EX with ~105,000 miles. The car when driving above 35 mph, a strange noise comes from the right rear; on highway it is even louder at 65mph. Anyway the mechanic diagnosed it as 'bearing' problem for the right rear wheel.
> >
> > He quoted $350 for replacement part and labor. He wants to replace bearing and also the rotor. My question is why rotor also needs replacement? Thanks for any replies.

>
> Good question, probably not ness. but if it was running back and forth and is warped badly or worn too thin then replace it. Have him check the thickness of the rotor to decide.

I looked at some youtube videos and they haven't changed the rotor. I will definitely have him look for warp or worn. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Old March 28th 16, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 12:33:58 PM UTC-4, SadaYama wrote:
> 2000-Accord-4DR-EX with ~105,000 miles. The car when driving above 35 mph, a strange noise comes from the right rear; on highway it is even louder at 65mph. Anyway the mechanic diagnosed it as 'bearing' problem for the right rear wheel.
>
> He quoted $350 for replacement part and labor. He wants to replace bearing and also the rotor. My question is why rotor also needs replacement? Thanks for any replies.

The gas station mechanic said that the rotor also needs to be replaced, since he has to hit hard on it to pop it out, so could be warped. Had the bearing and rotor replaced for $385.