2000 Accord – Timing belt change or just inspect?

Old September 3rd 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama

Default 2000 Accord – Timing belt change or just inspect?

2000 Honda Accord EX, 4 door, 5 speed, just 90,000 miles.

At 90,000 miles, it is usually recommended to change the timing belt, replace the water pump, also power steering belt and alternator belt. Do you guys recommend replacing or just inspect timing belt and replace all only if needed?

I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems OK, just leave it alone. He has a Acura and has 230,000 miles and said he never replaced his timing belt. He also recommended adding a tablespoon of engine oil to the coolant, which could be useful, just in case if the water pump freezes or timing belt snaps. Do any of you recommend this ?
Old September 3rd 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John M.[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 09:36:19 -0700 (PDT), SadaYama
> wrote:

>2000 Honda Accord EX, 4 door, 5 speed, just 90,000 miles.
>
>At 90,000 miles, it is usually recommended to change the timing belt, replace the water
>pump, also power steering belt and alternator belt. Do you guys recommend replacing
>or just inspect timing belt and replace all only if needed?
>
>I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems OK, just leave it
>alone. He has a Acura and has 230,000 miles and said he never replaced his timing belt.
>He also recommended adding a tablespoon of engine oil to the coolant, which could be
>useful, just in case if the water pump freezes or timing belt snaps. Do any of you recommend
>this ?

One question I have is how do you quantitate "seems OK"? Get it
changed. If the timing belt breaks you will probably be looking at
major engine damage. As for the alternator belt: If it breaks it may
only leave you stranded. As for the Power steering belt: I guess it
depends where you're driving when it breaks. I've never driven my
Civic without PS so I don't know the hazards.
FWIW, my Civic is approaching 400,00 miles and it still has the
original PS belt. The alternator belt had to be cut when an
alternator had to be cut out of it's mount some time back so who knows
if it would still be there otherwise. I just wouldn't risk the engine
though. I'm on my 3rd timing belt and it's overdue a bit.
Oil in the coolant? I've never heard of that happening
intentionally.
--

John M.
Old September 4th 12, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/03/2012 12:00 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems OK,
>> just leave it alone.

> does he have a specific definition for "inspect" and "seems OK"?
>
> if not...

i have a specific definition of "inspect". determine what antifreeze
was used in the vehicle. if it was cheapo high silicate, then inspect
and consider replacing the pump. but if high quality h.o.a.t.
antifreeze was used, then i wouldn't. honda oem pumps last 200+k miles
if the correct grade of antifreeze is used. that's why the honda
factory service spec does /not/ include a pump change.

the industry-wide knee-jerk pump changes are thanks to our friends at
frod and g.m. whose pumps are lucky to make it to the service interval
then /have/ to be changed. honda pumps last way longer if not abused or
changed out by people that can't think for themselves or read a service
spec.

--
fact check required
Old September 4th 12, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/03/2012 07:16 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 09/03/2012 12:00 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems
>>> OK,
>>> just leave it alone.

>> does he have a specific definition for "inspect" and "seems OK"?
>>
>> if not...

> i have a specific definition of "inspect".

for the pump of course, not the belt.

--
fact check required
Old September 4th 12, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama

<<<Elmo P. Shagnasty: does he have a specific definition for "inspect" and "seems OK"? if not... >>>

He wanted to charge for 1hour labor to inspect the timing belt. He wanted to physically see it by removing all the obstructions and inspect for wear and tear and let me know to replace or not.

<<<Elmo P. Shagnasty: the Old Wife is strong in this one. I'm sure he has plenty of medical advice for you, too. >>>

The reason he says to put a tablespoon of engine oil in the coolant is, just in case the water pump freezes, it would have some lubrication (?) (with oil) and wouldn't damage the engine. I don't understand his logic but he said if water pump breaks or timing belt snaps – not to drive and have it towed right away.

Jim Beam: I do use Honda recommended spec of anti-freeze. The logic behind replace a working water pump when replacing timing belt is: It costs the same amount of labor (as replacing timing belt), just in case water pump breaks. Oh well.
Old September 4th 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama

Thanks a bunch.

I will go ahead and change them all: Timing belt, water pump and all other 3 belts. Even though my car has only 90,000 miles, it is almost 12 years old and is subject to severe New England winters and summers which makes those belts go through extreme temperatures. Thanks again. :-)
Old September 5th 12, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

SadaYama > wrote in
:

> The reason he says to put a tablespoon of engine oil in the coolant
> is, just in case the water pump freezes, it would have some
> lubrication (?) (with oil)

Your mechanic is very stupid.

Oil in the coolant will damage the rad-cap seals by swelling them. Plus it
will make a royal mess of your reservoir. The oil will coat /all/ the
higher surfaces of the system, including the upper rad tank, the horizontal
sections of the upper rad hose, and so on.

This guy is a nut. Find somebody better.

By the way, you CANNOT TELL HOW HEALTHY A TIMING BELT IS BY LOOKING AT IT.
Failure is INTERNAL, in the fabric carcass.

--
Tegger
Old September 5th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_13_]

Old September 5th 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/04/2012 06:45 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >, jim >
> wrote:
>
>> honda oem pumps last 200+k miles
>> if the correct grade of antifreeze is used.

> *usually*, but not always.
>
> My 92 Si, the pump was seeping right at about 90K.
>
> Dammit. Ah, well. At least it coincided nicely with my TB replacement.
> No huge loss there.

some seepage is actually normal. even on new pumps. that's why they
have seep drain holes.

as long as the seal isn't letting it leak [pressurize the coolant system
and look at the seep hole], and the bearing is good, the pump should be
fine.

--
fact check required
Old September 5th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/04/2012 03:16 AM, SadaYama wrote:
> <<<Elmo P. Shagnasty: does he have a specific definition for
> "inspect" and "seems OK"? if not...>>>
>
> He wanted to charge for 1hour labor to inspect the timing belt. He
> wanted to physically see it by removing all the obstructions and
> inspect for wear and tear and let me know to replace or not.

technically, the belt should be replaced on a time or mileage schedule,
not physical appearance which is not reliable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/5252164077

vs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/5252164087

> <<<Elmo P. Shagnasty: the Old Wife is strong in this one. I'm sure
> he has plenty of medical advice for you, too.>>>
>
> The reason he says to put a tablespoon of engine oil in the coolant
> is, just in case the water pump freezes, it would have some
> lubrication (?) (with oil) and wouldn't damage the engine.

completely bogus. it'll rot the coolant hoses and worse, rot the
coolant pump seal. those rubbers are not oil tolerant.

> I don't
> understand his logic but he said if water pump breaks or timing belt
> snaps � not to drive and have it towed right away.

if the time belt is broken, you won't be /able/ to drive it - the engine
will stop immediately.

> Jim Beam: I do use Honda recommended spec of anti-freeze. The logic
> behind replace a working water pump when replacing timing belt is: It
> costs the same amount of labor (as replacing timing belt), just in
> case water pump breaks. Oh well.

that "logic" is true if the pump is unreliable and prone to failure.
but it's not in the honda service schedule, so who do you think did the
most homework - the guys that built the car and did the reliability
testing, or some hack that thinks they need to put oil in the coolant?

--
fact check required