CR-V safety recall

Old October 11th 11, 03:43 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael[_20_]

Default CR-V safety recall

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Tegger > wrote:
>
>> This one is just a software flash.

> hehehe Yeah, just like I had to get a new control module, complete with
> new software, when Honda replaced my 02 Odyssey transmission last year.
>
> And just like Honda reflashed the ECUs on all those Civic hybrids that
> were going through batteries.
>
> The SOLE purpose of this and all other Honda "software flashes" is to
> benefit Honda by making the car perform in such a way as to get it
> through the warranty period--never mind how the car performs for the
> customer afterward.

Not to mention the car is so underpowered afterward it will barely merge on
a highway properly. Once the battery gets toasted the system is constantly
charging a battery it never uses. My 1998 Taurus gets better gas mileage
than the 2006 Hybrid. Disgusting and I will NEVER own another Honda.
Period.

Old October 18th 11, 03:18 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Al[_13_]

On 10/10/2011 10:43 PM, Michael wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Tegger > wrote:
>>
>>> This one is just a software flash.

I received this recall notification for my 2010 CR-V but in addition to
the transmission software update discussed in this thread it also
informs me of a "Product Update: Software to Improve Fuel Injector and
VTC Timing"

I'm not too concerned about the transmission thing because in 50 years I
have never "rapidly shifted between D-N-R at high RPM" If all they are
doing is changing the software so that I can't do what I wouldn't do
then I'll not ever be aware that they did it and it doesn't matter to
me. With Honda's transmission track record I'm afraid to not let them do
this to protect my warranty.

I am more concerned about the "product update" which wasn't mentioned by
the other posters. This one scares me because the CR-V does not have
any power to spare and this seems like it may involve a de-tuning. Here
is what the notice says:

What is the problem? On some 2010 CR-Vs, the fuel injector timing and
VTC timing at cold start may create deposits on the oil control rings
that could contribute to increased oil consumption.

The dealer will update the powertrain control module (PCM) software.

Does anyone have any further info on this, or has anyone let them do it?
Until I get convinced they are not going to cost me power or
responsiveness I'm not going to let them do it. On the other hand if if
somehow increases power I'll get to my friendly dealer tomorrow.

(BTW my "power" gripe is only from dead stop to 10 mph)

Official: U.S. had to force Toyota into safety recall john Technology 8 February 3rd 10 04:14 PM
2008-09 Canadian Civic safety recall M.A. Stewart Honda 12 December 12th 08 10:48 PM
Safety Recall F22 Mike Albanese Jeep 2 August 15th 06 01:24 AM
Safety Recall - Bonnet Closure - 156 hologram Alfa Romeo 11 August 4th 06 12:34 AM
Vehicle Safety Recall Notification Doug Alfa Romeo 5 December 13th 04 11:02 PM