"Piston slap" / diesel sound in '94 Accord

Old July 5th 05, 01:15 AM
Steve Bigelow

"R. P." > wrote in message
> "jim beam" > wrote:
>> you definitely have a point regarding oil quality affecting engine noise.
>> running ford oem 5w-30 in my civic, the motor sounded like it was five
>> fourth's ready to die. putting it back onto castrol gtx, she quieted
>> right up again.

> What is it about Castrol that makes it such a favorite with Honda
> service centers? I mean as log as -- say -- a Chevron brand oil has the
> same API rating that is specified by the Honda specs

API rating are a minimum.

Old July 5th 05, 01:35 AM
Pars

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> Gordon McGrew wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:30:09 -0400, "Pars" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Considering that the 96 Odyssey was Honda's first attempt at making a
> >>Minivan with Isuzu help, it could have some reliability issues.

40,000miles
> >>seem extremely early for 'piston knock' to occur. If so, it should have

been
> >>a warranty issue.
> >>
> >>Pars

> > I don't think that Isuzu had any part in engineering the Odyssey. The
> > only connection with Isuzu was that they got some Odysseys to rebadge
> > (Oasis) as part of the deal that gave Honda the dreaded Passport and
> > some equally forgettable SUV for the Acura line.

> the SLX/trooper! and youre right, i totally forgot about it.
>
> kinda sad to see how isuzu practically doesnt exist in the states any
> more. in their heyday, they had a wide range of smaller, useable SUVS,
> along with the amigo, and a decent minitruck. now? nothin but a rebadged
> GM clone.

Jeep cornered that market, especially with the Libreto.

You're right about the Odyseey, I suppose
I was juxtoposition .the Passport and the Odyssey...

Since we're off topic, here's a cool little micro van that's probably going
decimate the 'Wagon' category and could take a chunk out of the minivan
market.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/06mazda5.htm

Pars

Old July 5th 05, 01:51 AM
S.S.

Pars wrote:

> Since we're off topic, here's a cool little micro van that's probably going
> decimate the 'Wagon' category and could take a chunk out of the minivan
> market.
>
> http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/06mazda5.htm

Interesting, but I think I would sacrifice the 2x2x2 seating for better fuel
economy and quality, and get a Toyota Matrix instead.
Old July 5th 05, 08:49 AM
SoCalMike

Gordon McGrew wrote:
>>i live close to the cerritos auto square in southern california. on the
>>main strip are all the important dealers. off to the side is a converted
>>paint store that now sells isuzu/suzuki/mitsubishi. none of those
>>marques can afford to stand alone. i call it the "kiss of death"
>>dealership. before that, they sold daewoo

> Was that after the Yugo shop closed?

nah... but im almost positive it was a daihatsu place when it first
opened. remember them?

"youll think the world of daihatsu"

whatta slogan!
Old July 5th 05, 08:52 AM
SoCalMike

Pars wrote:
> Since we're off topic, here's a cool little micro van that's probably going
> decimate the 'Wagon' category and could take a chunk out of the minivan
> market.
>
> http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/06mazda5.htm

interesting! i kinda miss the old honda wagovan built from 88-91. never
owned one, and thought it was hella dorky at the time, but i think it
might have been a hit if it was offered now.
Old July 5th 05, 01:19 PM
E Meyer

Isuzu had nothing to do with the Odyssey engine. The 95-98 Odyssey was all
Honda, built on the Accord platform. Isuzu was allowed to re-badge and sell
them in the deal with Honda that had Honda selling re-badged Isuzu Rodeos.
It uses the same 4 cylinder Honda engine used in Accords of that generation.
They were known to develop piston slap. There is no evidence that it is
caused by neglect or abuse.

In this particular case, the warranty was up at 36,000 miles so there was no
warranty consideration given, though I have heard of people who were given
new engines under warranty for this problem. It does not really hurt
anything and the car will run for a normal lifespan with the problem. That
particular Odyssey is still in the family and currently has about 140000
miles on it.

On 7/3/05 9:30 PM, in article , "Pars"

Old July 5th 05, 08:12 PM
Pars

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
> Pars wrote:
> > Since we're off topic, here's a cool little micro van that's probably

going
> > decimate the 'Wagon' category and could take a chunk out of the minivan
> > market.
> >
> > http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/06mazda5.htm

> interesting! i kinda miss the old honda wagovan built from 88-91. never
> owned one, and thought it was hella dorky at the time, but i think it
> might have been a hit if it was offered now.

I had the same thought. The under 40years group has basically grown up on
smaller car (I remember back in 86' when I was the first to get a front
drive Chevy Nova and was constantly getting challenged, at the lights, by
all the rear drive boats). My age and younger probably have developed a
healthy respect for the smaller cars (Then there's the poser or nostalgic
old-timers who like the bigger stuff)

Pars

)

Old July 5th 05, 08:39 PM
Pars

> Isuzu had nothing to do with the Odyssey engine. The 95-98 Odyssey was

all
> Honda, built on the Accord platform. Isuzu was allowed to re-badge and

sell
> them in the deal with Honda that had Honda selling re-badged Isuzu Rodeos.
> It uses the same 4 cylinder Honda engine used in Accords of that

generation.
> They were known to develop piston slap. There is no evidence that it is
> caused by neglect or abuse.
>
> In this particular case, the warranty was up at 36,000 miles so there was

no
> warranty consideration given, though I have heard of people who were given
> new engines under warranty for this problem. It does not really hurt
> anything and the car will run for a normal lifespan with the problem.

That
> particular Odyssey is still in the family and currently has about 140000
> miles on it.

Yeah, One of my friend has a 95 Civic that has a bad case of the 'piston
slap' and his car is in pristine condition. He's also a conservative driver
who's careful with his maintenance schedule.

It's good thing that the newer generation engines are a little more robust.
I believe the Ody's 2.2L was replaced with the newer 2.3L?

Pars