MIKE Hunter's smaller car thesis??

Old July 24th 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Josh S

Default MIKE Hunter's smal car v large car thesis is correct

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > Mike Hunter wrote:

> > > I am retired now and what I do have is fifteen years of
> > > my thirty years experience, as an automotive structural
> > > design engineer, designing automobile crumple zones
> > > and test crashing hundreds of all types of vehicles and
> > > observing the result on crash dummies.

> > From your comments, it looks like you volunteered at one point. That
> > would explain your brain damage. ;-)

> Mike is an idiot savant who knows everything about cars and absolutely
> nothing about anything else. Sound engineering, insane politics.

He probably has most of his money invested in GM, the company that just
loves making big profit on big SUVs.
Old July 24th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Just Facts

In article <yQXhi.1919$bO2.289@trnddc05>, "Go Mavz" >
wrote:

> You can sit in a warehouse all day and slam stuff into cars and come up with
> the obvious that the smaller car is going to get more abuse. Any moron could
> tell you that. However, how do SUV's play into it?
>
> A smaller car, hitting another smaller car is going to do less damage than a
> smaller car being hit by an SUV...

And if two large SUVs, which have typically less crush zone than a mid
sized car, hit one another the occupants in both large SUVs are usually
seriously injured.
The ultimate dumbness in this "drive very large for safety" argument is
the person driving a large SUV to defend themselves from a semi.
Old July 24th 07, 02:36 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Just Facts

In article .com>,
Johnny Hageyama > wrote:

> and observing the result on crash
> > dummies.

-who were driving large SUVs when they had a single vehicle roll over
accident?
Old July 24th 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Spam away

Default MIKE Hunter's thesis??

In article >,
"Mike Hunter" > wrote:

> Finding NG is not the problem, getting it to market is the problem. If you
> ever fly over the Gulf of Mexico, look down. All those fires you will see
> are the oil wells burning off millions of CF of NG every year, because the
> environmental laws, pushed by the environuts in the US, prevent it from
> being distributed through the country. Typical stupid 'go good' thinking of
> the lefty kooks

So the oil drilling companies only employ left handed people.
Mike your prejudices are showing again!
Old September 7th 07, 06:16 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Houston

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:11:07 -0400, "Mike Hunter"
> wrote:

>You are entitled to you own opinion. However I know better.
>
>mike

Well I'm also a structural engineer and your assumption is flawed. I
agree with you if the two different size vehicles have equal stiffness
but if the larger one was more stiff and the smaller one less stiff,
it may be that the larger one has the fatalities and the smaller one
has survivors.
Old September 7th 07, 12:51 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Mike Dobony

<Houston> wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:11:07 -0400, "Mike Hunter"
> > wrote:
>
>>You are entitled to you own opinion. However I know better.
>>
>>mike
>>

> Well I'm also a structural engineer and your assumption is flawed. I
> agree with you if the two different size vehicles have equal stiffness
> but if the larger one was more stiff and the smaller one less stiff,
> it may be that the larger one has the fatalities and the smaller one
> has survivors.

I believe this is called "crush zones" where sections of a car are designed
to crush easily in a crash to absorbed the impact. The old race cars were
built so stiff and solid that they readily survived crashes relatively
intact, but the driver was killed. This also depends on how small the
vehicle is. I recall the original Honda that was about half the size of a
standard compact car. There was no room for any crush zone and it would go
flying when hit due to lack of weight. This is not good if slammed into a
tree or other structure.

Depending on the specifics of the crash, a large SUV will not be pushed as
much as a smaller car and in some instances a larger vehicle will give the
occupants a better chance of surviving. It all depends on so many factors
that you can not make any blanket statements about survivability.

Is anyone using a smaller steering wheel in a C3 ? dave Corvette 1 March 31st 05 04:13 PM
Smaller Wheels CobraJet Ford Mustang 17 February 17th 05 05:35 AM
4WD smaller vehicle choices Dan Birchall 4x4 2 August 11th 04 08:24 PM