this is what happens if

Old December 21st 11, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default this is what happens if

1. you don't change your oil at all

2. you then ignore the oil warning light!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293983
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959

these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup strainer.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old December 21st 11, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Bret[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:01:41 -0800, jim beam wrote:

> 1. you don't change your oil at all
>
> 2. you then ignore the oil warning light!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293983
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959
>
> these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup strainer.

I hope you have learned your lesson then
Old December 22nd 11, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
C. E. White[_2_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> 1. you don't change your oil at all
>
> 2. you then ignore the oil warning light!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293983
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959
>
> these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup
> strainer.

Who's car? I know it is not yours. I've never actually seen anything that
bad, although I've heard stories about things like that.

Ed

Old December 22nd 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/22/2011 04:37 AM, C. E. White wrote:
> "jim > wrote in message
>> 1. you don't change your oil at all
>>
>> 2. you then ignore the oil warning light!
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293983
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959
>>
>> these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup
>> strainer.

> Who's car?

friend of a friend.

> I know it is not yours.

indeed.

> I've never actually seen anything that
> bad, although I've heard stories about things like that.

i've seen honda motors with bearing damage from over-tight timing belts
a number of times. and distressed cams from excessive idling in city
traffic. and a whole bunch of thrown rods. but this is a first for me
with total oil system blockage.

on draining, the oil in the motor was like lumpy hot chocolate, only
cold and without the milk. and it had crunchy chunks with stringy bits
in it.

as for the cause, my money's on "unscrupulous shop ripping off lady
driver" because the driveshaft and steering rack boots had been
stanley-knifed too. mind you, the driver ignoring the oil warning light
"for a few months" didn't help.

anyway, a new junkyard head and this motor's purring like a kitten - the
bottom end, now the strainer's cleaned out, is in great shape.
extraordinary given the oil starvation.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old December 23rd 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:37:37 -0500, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> 1. you don't change your oil at all
>>
>> 2. you then ignore the oil warning light!
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293983
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959
>>
>> these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup
>> strainer.

>Who's car? I know it is not yours. I've never actually seen anything that
>bad, although I've heard stories about things like that.
>
>Ed

Back in the 60's that was what the top end of every Ford small 6
looked like.
Old December 23rd 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda

In rec.autos.makers.honda jim beam > wrote:
> 2. you then ignore the oil warning light!

Back in the 70's, I got a great deal on a Mazda Rotary. I had my pick of
an RX4 with a seized motor, or an RX-2 with a motor that I could turn by
hand on the fan belt with the plugs out.

It took the turner.

I disassembled it (it should come apart front to back like a stack of
donuts on a stick).

I couldn't get it to come apart. The housings were free, but they weren't
lifting off the "stick", the crank.

That's because the rotor bearings had seized and ripped completely free of
the rotor, about 1/4" thick on the crank journal.

I can't remember the damage to the rotor housings, but the rotor would have
been flopping around in there, probably not good.

I bolted it back together, and used it for the core against a Mazda
rebuilt.

Old December 24th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/22/2011 03:20 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:37:37 -0500, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>

>> "jim > wrote in message
>>> 1. you don't change your oil at all
>>>
>>> 2. you then ignore the oil warning light!
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293983
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959
>>>
>>> these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup
>>> strainer.

>> Who's car? I know it is not yours. I've never actually seen anything that
>> bad, although I've heard stories about things like that.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Back in the 60's that was what the top end of every Ford small 6
> looked like.

there are two main approaches to engineering and manufactu

1. design something to do a certain job, then try to cheapen it up so it
still works, but costs less to make.

2. start with the cheapest crap you can find, then try to figure out how
to make it do a certain job.

most manufacturers use the first approach. frod use the second.

and they're quite "good" at it. they simply cut it a little too fine in
that case. but hey, back in the 60's, most customers were conditioned
to take the cost of maintaining unreliable detroit garbage up the ass
without complaint, so it wasn't like frod had made a "mistake" relative
to their financial/expectations landscape.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum