04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

Old October 3rd 11, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ndccpf1

Default 04 Civic EX Automatic Speedo Not Working

I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny but for this year
Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
(same car that is overheating and CEL on).

Oh and the typical Honda failure of the hood-release pull knob
broken !
Old October 3rd 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ndccpf1

On Oct 2, 9:34*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> ndccpf1 > wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
> :
>
> > I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny

> It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.
>
> > but for this year
> > Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
> > sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
> > (same car that is overheating and CEL on).

> Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
> may indicate some other sort of problem?
>
> --
> Tegger

The CEL currently is the O2 sensor which I will replace Saturday. I
had a VSS go bad on my 1989 Accord LXI
Old October 3rd 11, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ndccpf1

On Oct 2, 9:42*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 10/02/2011 06:34 PM, Tegger wrote:
>
> > > *wrote in news:83ca8821-0538-4099-bd01-
> > :

> >> I know VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is on the tranny

> > It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.

> only on cable driven speedos. *the 04 speedo is all electronic, not
> cable, and the sensor is on the transmission.
>

> >> but for this year
> >> Civic how accessable and where ? Is there a quick way to test the
> >> sensor / output to determine it is bad ?
> >> (same car that is overheating and CEL on).

> > Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
> > may indicate some other sort of problem?

> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum

Can I reach the sensor by removing the battery ? or the air intake
"plumbing" / Or do I need to access from the bottom / back firewall
sside ?
Old October 3rd 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/02/2011 07:57 PM, ndccpf1 wrote:

>>> :

>>> It's at the rear of the instrument cluster, in the dashboard.

>> only on cable driven speedos. �the 04 speedo is all electronic, not
>> cable, and the sensor is on the transmission.

>>> Have you considered that the concurrent presence of several unrelated DTCs
>>> may indicate some other sort of problem?

>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum

> Can I reach the sensor by removing the battery ? or the air intake
> "plumbing" / Or do I need to access from the bottom / back firewall
> sside ?

usually on the firewall side. can reach from on top or underneath. do
you have the proper shop manual for this vehicle? if not, it's worth
investing in one. the official source is helm.com, but i'm not entirely
happy with them at present because they charged me full price for an
incomplete photocopy of a manual that was missing the wiring diagrams i
bought it for. they refused to give me a refund or take it back.

or you can go online at alldata.

you'll need this to confirm the testing process for the vss. usually
it's just a reed switch and you can see it click on and off with an ohm
meter as you rotate the diff.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

1986 Volvo Speedo quit working. TomO[_1_] Technology 7 February 21st 07 04:47 PM
Tach and Speedo Not Working - 1993 Jetta [email protected] VW water cooled 0 June 2nd 06 01:15 AM
95 Civic speedo spodely Honda 0 April 10th 06 09:35 PM
95 Ford F150 Speedo & Odometer Not Working WLD1 4x4 0 December 13th 05 09:06 PM
Anybody ever have their tach and speedo stop working? Nobody Honda 5 July 29th 05 09:32 PM