2003 Accord 4door I4 5AT just developed CHECK ENGINE P0685

Old September 26th 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

Default 2003 Accord 4door I4 5AT just developed CHECK ENGINE P0685

I'm not totally new to Hondas, but this code is totally new to me. CEL
light came on Sun afternoon and I had the code read out at a local
Autozone. Should I reset it and see if it reoccurs? Check anything out?
Or just get it to the dealer ASAP? (my local Honda dealer is good and I
have no problem going there, only downside is $$$) I've owned this car
since it was new (06/2003).

Mileage 74853

TIA,
Tony
Old September 26th 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Tony Harding > wrote in news:j5p2cu02461
@news6.newsguy.com:

> I'm not totally new to Hondas, but this code is totally new to me. CEL
> light came on Sun afternoon and I had the code read out at a local
> Autozone. Should I reset it and see if it reoccurs? Check anything out?
> Or just get it to the dealer ASAP? (my local Honda dealer is good and I
> have no problem going there, only downside is $$$) I've owned this car
> since it was new (06/2003).
>
> Mileage 74853

Clear the code and see if it recurs.

The '07 Odyssey has a know problem with this that involves a loose
connector at the back of the under-dash fue box, but as far as I know, your
car has no known issue with that. You may want to ask your dealer to check
Honda's online system to see if there are any TSBs or Honda Service News
mentions on this code for your vehicle. They should be willing to do that
at no charge.

--
Tegger
Old September 26th 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Douglas C. Neidermeyer[_3_]

On 9/26/11 9:22 AM, Tegger wrote:
> Tony > wrote in news:j5p2cu02461
> @news6.newsguy.com:
>
>> I'm not totally new to Hondas, but this code is totally new to me. CEL
>> light came on Sun afternoon and I had the code read out at a local
>> Autozone. Should I reset it and see if it reoccurs? Check anything out?
>> Or just get it to the dealer ASAP? (my local Honda dealer is good and I
>> have no problem going there, only downside is $$$) I've owned this car
>> since it was new (06/2003).
>>
>> Mileage 74853
>>

> Clear the code and see if it recurs.
>
> The '07 Odyssey has a know problem with this that involves a loose
> connector at the back of the under-dash fue box, but as far as I know, your
> car has no known issue with that. You may want to ask your dealer to check
> Honda's online system to see if there are any TSBs or Honda Service News
> mentions on this code for your vehicle. They should be willing to do that
> at no charge.

I'm not sure if this is as good as the dealer checking-- but it might be
a place to start...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

--
"You're all worthless and weak! Now drop and give me twenty!"
Old September 27th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

"Douglas C. Neidermeyer" > wrote in
:

> On 9/26/11 9:22 AM, Tegger wrote:
>> Tony > wrote in news:j5p2cu02461
>> @news6.newsguy.com:
>>
>>> I'm not totally new to Hondas, but this code is totally new to me.
>>> CEL light came on Sun afternoon and I had the code read out at a
>>> local Autozone. Should I reset it and see if it reoccurs? Check
>>> anything out? Or just get it to the dealer ASAP? (my local Honda
>>> dealer is good and I have no problem going there, only downside is
>>> $$$) I've owned this car since it was new (06/2003).
>>>
>>> Mileage 74853
>>>

>> Clear the code and see if it recurs.
>>
>> The '07 Odyssey has a know problem with this that involves a loose
>> connector at the back of the under-dash fue box, but as far as I
>> know, your car has no known issue with that. You may want to ask your
>> dealer to check Honda's online system to see if there are any TSBs or
>> Honda Service News mentions on this code for your vehicle. They
>> should be willing to do that at no charge.
>>

> I'm not sure if this is as good as the dealer checking-- but it might
> be a place to start...
>
> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

It isn't as good as the dealer. The site itself even says so:
"The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a
manufacturer. Bulletins for safety recalls in general are not included, and
also bulletins which may not pertain to a defect may not be included."

--
Tegger
Old September 27th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 09/26/11 23:04, Tegger wrote:
> "Douglas C. > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 9/26/11 9:22 AM, Tegger wrote:
>>> Tony > wrote in news:j5p2cu02461
>>> @news6.newsguy.com:

>>> Clear the code and see if it recurs.
>>>
>>> The '07 Odyssey has a know problem with this that involves a loose
>>> connector at the back of the under-dash fue box, but as far as I
>>> know, your car has no known issue with that. You may want to ask your
>>> dealer to check Honda's online system to see if there are any TSBs or
>>> Honda Service News mentions on this code for your vehicle. They
>>> should be willing to do that at no charge.

>> I'm not sure if this is as good as the dealer checking-- but it might
>> be a place to start...
>>
>> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

> It isn't as good as the dealer. The site itself even says so:
> "The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a
> manufacturer. Bulletins for safety recalls in general are not included, and
> also bulletins which may not pertain to a defect may not be included."

Thanks for all your replies. The code disappeared overnight Sun to
Monday, i.e., the CEL was OFF Monday morning. I was able to determine
with my own OBDII interface & software that a P0685 had been stored. I
went to my local dealer, whose Service Order/Invoice states:

CEL TECH FOUND CODES P0685 PCM POWER CONTROL UNIT
TECH CLEARED CODES AND PERFORMED FUNCTION
TEST CHECK GROUNDS IF LIGHT COMES BACK ON
WILL NEED
61 CPR
PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 120.00

So it cost me $120 plus NJ sales tax. The SA told me up front that it
was $120 to troubleshoot a DTC and that, if a repair was indicated, the
$120 would be applied toward that. Does anyone know if the "61 CPR" is
what they'll need?

Before leaving the dealer, another SA told me that I was at the edge of
Honda's 8 year/80,000 miles warranty on the ECM and that, if the light
came on again, I'd have to replace the ECM. If they want to replace it
under warranty, I might let them do it. If it's my dime, NFW. I've seen
Tegger's post regarding how few ECMs are actually faulty/go bad.

If it reoccurs soon, I will post again FYI.

Once again, thanks to all who replied,
Tony
Old September 27th 11, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/27/2011 07:00 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
> On 09/26/11 23:04, Tegger wrote:
>> "Douglas C. > wrote in
>> :

>>> I'm not sure if this is as good as the dealer checking-- but it might
>>> be a place to start...
>>>
>>> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

>> It isn't as good as the dealer. The site itself even says so:
>> "The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a
>> manufacturer. Bulletins for safety recalls in general are not
>> included, and
>> also bulletins which may not pertain to a defect may not be included."

> Thanks for all your replies. The code disappeared overnight Sun to
> Monday, i.e., the CEL was OFF Monday morning. I was able to determine
> with my own OBDII interface & software that a P0685 had been stored. I
> went to my local dealer, whose Service Order/Invoice states:
>
> CEL TECH FOUND CODES P0685 PCM POWER CONTROL UNIT
> TECH CLEARED CODES AND PERFORMED FUNCTION
> TEST CHECK GROUNDS IF LIGHT COMES BACK ON
> WILL NEED
> 61 CPR
> PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 120.00
>
> So it cost me $120 plus NJ sales tax. The SA told me up front that it
> was $120 to troubleshoot a DTC and that, if a repair was indicated, the
> $120 would be applied toward that. Does anyone know if the "61 CPR" is
> what they'll need?
>
> Before leaving the dealer, another SA told me that I was at the edge of
> Honda's 8 year/80,000 miles warranty on the ECM and that, if the light
> came on again, I'd have to replace the ECM. If they want to replace it
> under warranty, I might let them do it. If it's my dime, NFW. I've seen
> Tegger's post regarding how few ECMs are actually faulty/go bad.
>
> If it reoccurs soon, I will post again FYI.
>
> Once again, thanks to all who replied,
> Tony

i'd check this out before letting that dealer anywhere /near/ my car.

<http://hondaswap.com/accord/cannot-resolve-p0685-code-2003-accord-513943/>

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 27th 11, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 09/27/11 10:12, jim beam wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 07:00 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
>> On 09/26/11 23:04, Tegger wrote:
>>> "Douglas C. > wrote in
>>> :

>>> It isn't as good as the dealer. The site itself even says so:
>>> "The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a
>>> manufacturer. Bulletins for safety recalls in general are not
>>> included, and
>>> also bulletins which may not pertain to a defect may not be included."

>> Thanks for all your replies. The code disappeared overnight Sun to
>> Monday, i.e., the CEL was OFF Monday morning. I was able to determine
>> with my own OBDII interface & software that a P0685 had been stored. I
>> went to my local dealer, whose Service Order/Invoice states:
>>
>> CEL TECH FOUND CODES P0685 PCM POWER CONTROL UNIT
>> TECH CLEARED CODES AND PERFORMED FUNCTION
>> TEST CHECK GROUNDS IF LIGHT COMES BACK ON
>> WILL NEED
>> 61 CPR
>> PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 120.00
>>
>> So it cost me $120 plus NJ sales tax. The SA told me up front that it
>> was $120 to troubleshoot a DTC and that, if a repair was indicated, the
>> $120 would be applied toward that. Does anyone know if the "61 CPR" is
>> what they'll need?
>>
>> Before leaving the dealer, another SA told me that I was at the edge of
>> Honda's 8 year/80,000 miles warranty on the ECM and that, if the light
>> came on again, I'd have to replace the ECM. If they want to replace it
>> under warranty, I might let them do it. If it's my dime, NFW. I've seen
>> Tegger's post regarding how few ECMs are actually faulty/go bad.
>>
>> If it reoccurs soon, I will post again FYI.
>>
>> Once again, thanks to all who replied,
>> Tony

> i'd check this out before letting that dealer anywhere /near/ my car.
>
> <http://hondaswap.com/accord/cannot-resolve-p0685-code-2003-accord-513943/>

Thanks, Jim, I managed to find that one while I was scouring the 'Net
Sun night. No 5AT involvement, nor slipped timing chain (where I'd look
first), on my car at all. Still, generally good advice!

Tony
Old September 30th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
RnR

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:19:40 -0400, Tony Harding
> wrote:

>On 09/27/11 10:12, jim beam wrote:

>>> Thanks for all your replies. The code disappeared overnight Sun to
>>> Monday, i.e., the CEL was OFF Monday morning. I was able to determine
>>> with my own OBDII interface & software that a P0685 had been stored. I
>>> went to my local dealer, whose Service Order/Invoice states:
>>>
>>> CEL TECH FOUND CODES P0685 PCM POWER CONTROL UNIT
>>> TECH CLEARED CODES AND PERFORMED FUNCTION
>>> TEST CHECK GROUNDS IF LIGHT COMES BACK ON
>>> WILL NEED
>>> 61 CPR
>>> PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 120.00
>>>
>>> So it cost me $120 plus NJ sales tax. The SA told me up front that it
>>> was $120 to troubleshoot a DTC and that, if a repair was indicated, the
>>> $120 would be applied toward that. Does anyone know if the "61 CPR" is
>>> what they'll need?
>>>
>>> Before leaving the dealer, another SA told me that I was at the edge of
>>> Honda's 8 year/80,000 miles warranty on the ECM and that, if the light
>>> came on again, I'd have to replace the ECM. If they want to replace it
>>> under warranty, I might let them do it. If it's my dime, NFW. I've seen
>>> Tegger's post regarding how few ECMs are actually faulty/go bad.
>>>
>>> If it reoccurs soon, I will post again FYI.
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks to all who replied,
>>> Tony

>> i'd check this out before letting that dealer anywhere /near/ my car.
>>
>> <http://hondaswap.com/accord/cannot-resolve-p0685-code-2003-accord-513943/>

>Thanks, Jim, I managed to find that one while I was scouring the 'Net
>Sun night. No 5AT involvement, nor slipped timing chain (where I'd look
>first), on my car at all. Still, generally good advice!
>
>Tony

Tony, nice bumping into you here. I too have a 2003 Accord automatic
which I bought new in 2003. I have around 63k miles or so and
overall it's been a good car with minor problems. Overall I'm pretty
pleased with it and would have no problem considering another Accord.
This is my 2nd Accord in a row which replaced a 1990 one because its
auto transmission was slipping. I only had around 100k on that one
when the trans started to slip but the cost to fix it was as much as
the car was worth and tho I hated to part with the car, I couldn't see
spending as much as the car was worth on one repair. That's why I
chose then to replace it with the 2003 Accord.

Your mileage isn't a lot more than mine so I'll be tuning in here to
see what you have happen on yours to give me a kinda heads up on mine.
Regards.
Old October 1st 11, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 09/30/11 16:58, RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:19:40 -0400, Tony Harding
> > wrote:

>>> i'd check this out before letting that dealer anywhere /near/ my car.
>>>
>>> <http://hondaswap.com/accord/cannot-resolve-p0685-code-2003-accord-513943/>

>> Thanks, Jim, I managed to find that one while I was scouring the 'Net
>> Sun night. No 5AT involvement, nor slipped timing chain (where I'd look
>> first), on my car at all. Still, generally good advice!
>>
>> Tony

> Tony, nice bumping into you here. I too have a 2003 Accord automatic
> which I bought new in 2003. I have around 63k miles or so and
> overall it's been a good car with minor problems. Overall I'm pretty
> pleased with it and would have no problem considering another Accord.
> This is my 2nd Accord in a row which replaced a 1990 one because its
> auto transmission was slipping. I only had around 100k on that one
> when the trans started to slip but the cost to fix it was as much as
> the car was worth and tho I hated to part with the car, I couldn't see
> spending as much as the car was worth on one repair. That's why I
> chose then to replace it with the 2003 Accord.
>
> Your mileage isn't a lot more than mine so I'll be tuning in here to
> see what you have happen on yours to give me a kinda heads up on mine.
> Regards.

Indeed, Hi, guy! I'm still running without incident since my Mon/Tue
posts <knocks on wood (head in this case)>. I live in NJ; but had to go
to Conn & back on Wed, no drama, but I rolled over 75,000 mi. on the trip.

Good luck with your Accord.

Tony
Old October 1st 11, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
RnR

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 08:14:11 -0400, Tony Harding
> wrote:

>On 09/30/11 16:58, RnR wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:19:40 -0400, Tony Harding
>> > wrote:

>>> Thanks, Jim, I managed to find that one while I was scouring the 'Net
>>> Sun night. No 5AT involvement, nor slipped timing chain (where I'd look
>>> first), on my car at all. Still, generally good advice!
>>>
>>> Tony

>> Tony, nice bumping into you here. I too have a 2003 Accord automatic
>> which I bought new in 2003. I have around 63k miles or so and
>> overall it's been a good car with minor problems. Overall I'm pretty
>> pleased with it and would have no problem considering another Accord.
>> This is my 2nd Accord in a row which replaced a 1990 one because its
>> auto transmission was slipping. I only had around 100k on that one
>> when the trans started to slip but the cost to fix it was as much as
>> the car was worth and tho I hated to part with the car, I couldn't see
>> spending as much as the car was worth on one repair. That's why I
>> chose then to replace it with the 2003 Accord.
>>
>> Your mileage isn't a lot more than mine so I'll be tuning in here to
>> see what you have happen on yours to give me a kinda heads up on mine.
>> Regards.

>Indeed, Hi, guy! I'm still running without incident since my Mon/Tue
>posts <knocks on wood (head in this case)>. I live in NJ; but had to go
>to Conn & back on Wed, no drama, but I rolled over 75,000 mi. on the trip.
>
>Good luck with your Accord.
>
>Tony

Thanks. It's runs well and I have a good mechanic near by in case of
trouble. I live in a Houston suburb and had been using it a lot to
drive to Austin but now, not so much. I do a lot of local driving so
the mileage will stay low for its age. I'm thinking of replacing it
with another car in a couple of years but don't know what I'll replace
it with and I know I'll have trouble parting with the money if it
still runs well. Take care and drive safe especially in the
upcoming winter time (I used to live in NYC / LI so I remember the
winters well).