Quattro Fuel tanks

Old June 6th 06, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Quattro Fuel tanks

I was recently curious as to how far my car would travel when the fuel guage
and digi readout showed 0 miles left, I was concered after noticing the
guage went down quite fast by putting in smaller amounts of fuel example
£15.00 roughly 3 gallons.

So I filled up and let the car bleep as it does at approx 60 miles left and
the needle was approaching the red line and carried on driving, I had a can
of fuel in the boot for safty sake and reset the mileometer when i hit 0 on
the digi readout.

This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of say
1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and the cars
shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will let it get
too 100 miles and see what happens, but was interested to hear from anyone
with the quattro twin tank design on a B6 1.8T or 3.0 A4, mine is a 2002
model.

It seems the guage is not really faulty as it may be reading low fuel from
one tank but the other tank is still supplying the fuel? I do not know...

Any thought?

BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy MPG
40mpg+ I was just curious.

Old June 6th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ronny wrote:

> BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy MPG
> 40mpg+ I was just curious.

Jeremy Clarkson did an interesting test with this in an Audi (A6?). I
forget the results but he did go for what seemed like a long time after
it read 0 miles.

I suspect it's just calibrated conservatively to make sure you don't
actually run out unexpectedly.

Do they still have reserve tanks? I thought they were done away with
years ago.

Old June 6th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Graham > wrote:

> Ronny wrote:
>
> > BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy MPG
> > 40mpg+ I was just curious.

> Jeremy Clarkson did an interesting test with this in an Audi (A6?). I
> forget the results but he did go for what seemed like a long time after
> it read 0 miles.

Can't remember which but it was the 4.0 v8 turbo diesel or similar,
London-Edinburgh and back.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old June 6th 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Ronny" wrote
> This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of
> say 1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and the
> cars shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will let
> it get too 100 miles and see what happens,

Whoa! Brave man. I once went about 20 miles past "0" and chickened out
after that, but that was on a B5 1.8Tq.

FYI... it's not good for your fuel pump to be running on "fumes."

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 6th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "Ronny" wrote
>> This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of
>> say 1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and the
>> cars shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will let
>> it get too 100 miles and see what happens,

> Whoa! Brave man. I once went about 20 miles past "0" and chickened out
> after that, but that was on a B5 1.8Tq.
>
> FYI... it's not good for your fuel pump to be running on "fumes."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

hehe, once won't hurt it I'm sure

I just done another 20 miles and its still going fine, you know when its
getting low as the fuel pump does make some funny noises, my B5 2.6 quattro
would not go very far after it read 0 but this one seems to have >2 gallons
spare which is nearly 20% of the cars capacity

Old June 6th 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Ronny" > wrote in message

> "Pete" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ronny" wrote
> >> This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of
> >> say 1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and

the
> >> cars shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will

let
> >> it get too 100 miles and see what happens,

> > Whoa! Brave man. I once went about 20 miles past "0" and chickened out
> > after that, but that was on a B5 1.8Tq.
> >
> > FYI... it's not good for your fuel pump to be running on "fumes."
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Pete
> >

> hehe, once won't hurt it I'm sure
>
> I just done another 20 miles and its still going fine, you know when its
> getting low as the fuel pump does make some funny noises, my B5 2.6

quattro
> would not go very far after it read 0 but this one seems to have >2

gallons
> spare which is nearly 20% of the cars capacity

You could plug in VAG-COM and have a look at the measuring block for fuel.
It tells you in litres how much fuel is in the tank. I haven't check it when
the fuel light comes on but it is something that can be 'adapted' to your
individual needs (or at least on the B5 it's possible).

Richard

Old June 6th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Graham" > wrote in message
> Ronny wrote:
>
> > BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy

MPG
> > 40mpg+ I was just curious.

> Jeremy Clarkson did an interesting test with this in an Audi (A6?). I
> forget the results but he did go for what seemed like a long time after
> it read 0 miles.
>
> I suspect it's just calibrated conservatively to make sure you don't
> actually run out unexpectedly.
>
> Do they still have reserve tanks? I thought they were done away with
> years ago.

The quattros don't have a reserve tank as such. It's an upside down 'U'
shape with a pump to transfer the fuel to the side where the fuel pump is.
This is to allow for the rear offside driveshaft. At least that's the way it
is on the B5 A4.

Richard

Old June 6th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Richard Goulding" > wrote in message

> "Ronny" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Pete" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Ronny" wrote

> the

> let
>> >
>> > Whoa! Brave man. I once went about 20 miles past "0" and chickened out
>> > after that, but that was on a B5 1.8Tq.
>> >
>> > FYI... it's not good for your fuel pump to be running on "fumes."
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Pete
>> >

>> hehe, once won't hurt it I'm sure
>>
>> I just done another 20 miles and its still going fine, you know when its
>> getting low as the fuel pump does make some funny noises, my B5 2.6

> quattro
>> would not go very far after it read 0 but this one seems to have >2

> gallons
>> spare which is nearly 20% of the cars capacity

> You could plug in VAG-COM and have a look at the measuring block for fuel.
> It tells you in litres how much fuel is in the tank. I haven't check it when
> the fuel light comes on but it is something that can be 'adapted' to your
> individual needs (or at least on the B5 it's possible).
>
> Richard

Plug in what? Sounds rather intriguing...

Old June 6th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Jim Pills" > wrote
> Plug in what? Sounds rather intriguing...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 7th 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On 2006-06-06, Ronny > wrote:
>> FYI... it's not good for your fuel pump to be running on "fumes."

> hehe, once won't hurt it I'm sure

It only takes one time, for your fuel pump to stop working :-)
It happened to me, it can happen to you.
Now I never let it get into the red, not worth spending USD150 on a new
fuel pump just to be lazy.

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 06:37 AM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
DaimlerChrysler Commits Over $70 Million to Fuel Cell Shrike Dodge 0 March 30th 05 09:03 PM
90 spirit won't run Faulguys Chrysler 80 December 10th 04 12:41 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 04:41 PM