E46 roof spoiler

Old September 30th 05, 07:38 AM
sgfan3

Default E46 roof spoiler

Why do I need one?

2001 330 ci SP not convertible

Old September 30th 05, 04:52 PM
Jeff Strickland

I don't know, why do you need one?

"sgfan3" > wrote in message
> Why do I need one?
>
> 2001 330 ci SP not convertible

Old October 1st 05, 03:41 AM
sgfan3

Funny! But seriously, why do they even exist? Do they actually help the
air flow over the top? I would think that the smoother lines (without the
spoiler) would flow the best.

Old October 1st 05, 08:50 AM
E Brown

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:41:13 -0400, "sgfan3" >
wrote:

>Funny! But seriously, why do they even exist? Do they actually help the
>air flow over the top? I would think that the smoother lines (without the
>spoiler) would flow the best.

A spoiler directs airflow, not improves it - it's chief use at the
rear of a car is to increase downforce; to make the air push down on
the car. A high speeds, the air moving under the car can create enough
lift to make the car unstable and hard to control, since you're
essentially creating hurricane-speed winds under and around the car. A
front air-dam reduces the air moving under the car, while the rear
spoiler interrupts the flow and causes it to push down on the car,
counteracting the lift.
So, do you need one? Definitely, if you're regularly driving at
over 120 mph. At normal US traffic speeds, not so much. Lowering the
car to Euro specs (are they different anymore?) would make the car
stable up to Autobahn speeds, since that's what the car was designed
to handle. You might notice a slight improvement in handling with a
rear spoiler at such speeds, but you still wouldn't *need* a spoiler.
Emanuel
--
2003 BMW 325i Black/Black
2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Old October 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
Floyd Rogers

"E Brown" > wrote
> "sgfan3" > wrote:
>
>>Funny! But seriously, why do they even exist? Do they actually help the
>>air flow over the top? I would think that the smoother lines (without the
>>spoiler) would flow the best.
>>

> A spoiler directs airflow, not improves it - it's chief use at the
> rear of a car is to increase downforce; to make the air push down on
> the car.

Except the OP is talking about a *ROOF* sunroof deflector, which
is an entirely different subject than you are talking about.

FloydR

Old October 2nd 05, 05:21 AM
sgfan3

Yes. I'm referring to the roof spoiler. Maybe the two spoilers work together
for optimum airflow? Could it be that they "engineered-in" an aerodynamic
flaw so they could sell an accessory "fix" later ( to increase the bottom
line)? Shrewd marketing perhaps? Does it extend very far over the rear
window and act as a sun visor?

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> "E Brown" > wrote
>> "sgfan3" > wrote:
>>
>>>Funny! But seriously, why do they even exist? Do they actually help
>>>the
>>>air flow over the top? I would think that the smoother lines (without the
>>>spoiler) would flow the best.
>>>

>> A spoiler directs airflow, not improves it - it's chief use at the
>> rear of a car is to increase downforce; to make the air push down on
>> the car.

> Except the OP is talking about a *ROOF* sunroof deflector, which
> is an entirely different subject than you are talking about.
>
> FloydR

how useful is that spoiler on my 96 GT vert? Scotter Ford Mustang 28 April 27th 05 12:24 AM
Honda Spoiler TGallo Honda 0 March 31st 05 04:18 AM
Going convertible. Chop roof and... HELPPPP! Manuel Macedo VW air cooled 11 February 25th 05 02:00 PM
Roof Bars for AR 166 from Cooks Motor Spares dj Alfa Romeo 3 October 9th 04 11:02 AM
Advice on fitting Rear Spoiler to A4 Please Gary Murison Audi 1 July 5th 04 05:55 AM