How to replace LEDs in e36 instrument cluster?

Old September 20th 05, 06:44 PM
Randy

Default How to replace LEDs in e36 instrument cluster?

I have a 1995 M3 with three LEDs out in the dash -- dark spots in the
speedo, fuel gauge, and tach. How hard is it to replace these myself?

How hard is it to pull the cluster? Can I buy individual LEDs to
replace those that are kaput? From Radio Shack maybe? Can I swap them
in myself with my trusty solder gun?

Thanks,

Randy
Old September 20th 05, 07:10 PM
Jeff Strickland

LEDs? I think you have three burned out lamps.

We are talking about the lamps that illuminate the instruments, right? Those
are lamps, not LEDs. And, yes you can replace them once you get the
instrument panel out. They should be common lamps, but you may find that the
dealership is the only source.

Old September 20th 05, 09:03 PM
Malt_Hound

Randy wrote:
> I have a 1995 M3 with three LEDs out in the dash -- dark spots in the
> speedo, fuel gauge, and tach. How hard is it to replace these myself?
>
> How hard is it to pull the cluster? Can I buy individual LEDs to
> replace those that are kaput? From Radio Shack maybe? Can I swap them
> in myself with my trusty solder gun?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

It's impossible to replace those LEDs. But the small incandescent
instrument bulbs are not nearly so bad. Luckily for you that's what you
have to replace as there are no LEDs in the areas that you mentioned.

Finding the right ones is always a trick. Use this site to find what
you need:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Then, my best source for buying them has been:
http://www.autohausaz.com/

--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys he
Old September 20th 05, 10:22 PM
Jack

You don't really have to pull the cluster in order to replace these bulbs
(not LED's).
All of these bulbs are mounted on little plastic carriers that can be
removed from the backside (really the frontside) of the cluster with a
quarter turn motion.
Access is gained by removing the trim panel under the instrument cluster.

Old September 25th 05, 10:44 PM
Randy

Jack wrote:
> You don't really have to pull the cluster in order to replace these bulbs
> (not LED's).
> All of these bulbs are mounted on little plastic carriers that can be
> removed from the backside (really the frontside) of the cluster with a
> quarter turn motion.
> Access is gained by removing the trim panel under the instrument cluster.

Excellent, and encouraging! Thanks for the info, guys.

Randy
Old May 28th 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Hi Jack.

I have a 1993 E36 318i.

My right indicator is blown. Does the same procedure apply to me?