installing control arms

Old February 19th 05, 08:42 PM
Nathan Otis

Default installing control arms

Hey guys,

I've got a set of upper adjustable control arms for the rear axle and I'm
going to install them today. is it just a matter of taking one out and
putting the new one in on one side and repeat on the other? It doesn't seem
like there will be enough play in the axle to add the length I need without
going back and forth a bunch of times.

So do you do them one at a time, or both at the same time or what?
n.

Old February 19th 05, 08:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

A different length would dictate putting them on at the same time
as it fixes the pinion angle. http://www.4x4xplor.com/RE-SuperFlex.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 19th 05, 09:06 PM
Nathan Otis

All I have to say is, "Duh". The probably would have become obvious to me
when I got under there.

Thanks, Bill.
n.

Old February 19th 05, 09:46 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Stick everything you can think of underneath the frame like your
tires to start, don't just depend on jack stands.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 19th 05, 10:32 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Stick everything you can think of underneath the frame like your
> tires to start, don't just depend on jack stands.

leave the wheels on, that way if the vehicle falls it's only
as far as the axle. Besides which you will need something to hold
up the axle.

Old February 20th 05, 03:51 AM
Nathan Otis

That's kinda what I was thinking.
Thanks.
n.

Old February 20th 05, 04:30 PM
mic canic

the new used car manager bought a wrangler at the auction that is all decked
out the lift kit is a 6 incher and the tires are 36" super swampers it has new
adjusable control arms and even the old mounts were cut off, new trac bars and
springs
the drive shafts have been updated with cardian slip joints it has all the
good stuff the owner was kinda ****ed till he seen all the traffic it brought
in sitting half parked on a 5 "boulder outfront

Old February 20th 05, 07:07 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Will your Stealership be selling this lifted TJ? Seems in the
litigious society he'd be leaving himself wide open.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 20th 05, 09:55 PM
Nathan Otis

Ok guys... one more.

What's the trick to rolling the axle back? (ie, how do you get the pinion to
point at the T-case output?)

n.

Old February 20th 05, 10:25 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Nathan,
Have you converted to the Real Jeep's Constant Velocity Universal
Joints, yet? http://7slotgrille.com/tech/sye2/index.html Which is the
reason you would be adjusting the driveshaft angle:
http://www.getahelmet.com/bullet/reararms/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Nathan Otis wrote:

> Ok guys... one more.
>
> What's the trick to rolling the axle back? (ie, how do you get the pinion to
> point at the T-case output?)
>
> n.

Control Arm Front Suspension remove Ford Mustang 3 January 3rd 05 12:00 AM
A6 Recall (lower control arms) question Bruce W. Ellis Audi 6 December 17th 04 07:55 PM
1971 Alfa Spider 1750 - Front upper control arm locating washers... SteveC Alfa Romeo 11 December 2nd 04 03:52 PM
Squeaky Control Arms J Koli Audi 7 October 30th 04 04:25 AM
Torn CV boot and loose control arms Curt Cleaveland Audi 0 August 6th 04 10:56 PM