NMC: Pat - Bike Shop in Austin

Old March 17th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

Default NMC: Pat - Bike Shop in Austin

No Miata Content.

Pat: According to a mountain biking friend of mine in Austin, the best bike
shop in town is Bicycle Sport Shop.
http://bicyclesportshop.com/index.cfm

Spring is here. Get on out there, buy a new mountain bike with your
ill-gotten eBay gains and break a few bones. Please post photos.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red/'93 Bridgestone MB-2
Inside the Beltway

Old March 18th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Ken Lyons wrote:
> No Miata Content.
>
> Pat: According to a mountain biking friend of mine in Austin, the best bike
> shop in town is Bicycle Sport Shop.
> http://bicyclesportshop.com/index.cfm

I have heard good things about them, but have never been in. A friend of
mine bought his bike there, iirc.

> Spring is here. Get on out there, buy a new mountain bike with your
> ill-gotten eBay gains

Ill-gotten! I have a new batch of quality goods to list tomorrow, only
the finest from bubba-rock. Do you need 124 Louis L'amour paperback
books? Well, I have 'em, and so much more....

> and break a few bones. Please post photos.

Photos of the new mountain bike or the broken bones? No Lanny and Leon,
no voting on this one.

My 24 year old Ross Mt. Whitney gets me along fine, besides, I make this
guy look like a rookie, it's all in the rider. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ci7wOtp5Y

Anti-Saint Patrick

Old March 18th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"pws" > wrote
> My 24 year old Ross Mt. Whitney gets me along fine,

Hmm. Sorry if that appeared to be spam. I thought I remembered a thread
where you were looking for bike purchasing advice. Perhaps that was before
all your time was taken up in the auto dismantling and frou-frou household
item resale business.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red [top back up this
week...grrrr]

Old March 18th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Ken Lyons wrote:

> Hmm. Sorry if that appeared to be spam. I thought I remembered a thread
> where you were looking for bike purchasing advice. Perhaps that was before
> all your time was taken up in the auto dismantling and frou-frou household
> item resale business.

No, not at all, you are remembering correctly. I do want a more modern
mountain bike. This old dinosaur is kind of nifty but it heavy and lacks
24 years worth of development.

I need to include the price of a hitch and carrier if I am going to ride
any real trails. I am hoping to eventually live in a situation where I
ride more and drive less.

I rode the Mt. Whitney that I was given in 1983 on and off for almost 20
years until it really, really needed to be replaced. It still rides,
though quite roughly.
I lost interest for a few years, and then found an identical one in mint
condition, (on Ebay, if you can imagine that), and got back into riding.

Do you have a particular brand that you are partial to? I have never
actually purchased a new bicycle for myself.

Pat

Old March 22nd 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"pws" > wrote
> Do you have a particular brand that you are partial to? I have never
> actually purchased a new bicycle for myself.

I really like Bridgestones, which have not been sold in the U.S. since 1994.
Sort of like preferring an NA over a new NC. Any of the major brands (Trek,
Specialized, Cannondale) would probably be fine. The best thing to do is go
to a reputable bike shop, tell them what kind of riding you want to do and
how much you want to spend (then double it) and see what they advise. This
is why I gave you a shop name, not a bike brand. Don TRUE
(http://www.true-storys.com/home/) has staked his reputation on BSS, so if
they don't treat you right, just let him know.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway on a Bridgestone XO-1 today

Old March 22nd 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Ken Lyons wrote:

> I really like Bridgestones, which have not been sold in the U.S. since 1994.
> Sort of like preferring an NA over a new NC. Any of the major brands (Trek,
> Specialized, Cannondale) would probably be fine. The best thing to do is go
> to a reputable bike shop, tell them what kind of riding you want to do and
> how much you want to spend (then double it) and see what they advise. This
> is why I gave you a shop name, not a bike brand. Don TRUE
> (http://www.true-storys.com/home/) has staked his reputation on BSS, so if
> they don't treat you right, just let him know.

Are you talking about a Bridgestone bicycle like this or one with front
and/or rear suspension?

http://tinyurl.com/35zfbg

There are not many being sold. Either they were not sold in huge numbers
here, the owners are holding onto them, or both.

Thanks!

Pat
Old March 22nd 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"pws" > wrote
> Are you talking about a Bridgestone bicycle like this or one with front
> and/or rear suspension?

Sort of like that.. But the MB-5 was pretty far down the scale of MB-1
through MB-6. (There was a MB-0 or MB-Zip as well.) I have an MB-2. Grant
didn't put any suspension on the Bridgestone mountain bikes until 1994 and
then it was too late. I see owning a Bridgestone like owning an original
Mini. A little quirky with better value available in newer products. It's a
cult.

Sheldon Brown has all sorts of Bridgestone stuff:
http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/...oneMB51991.pdf

Ken

In Other Bike News Matthew Russotto Driving 0 November 22nd 06 06:22 PM
OT More stuff done on bike Shag VW air cooled 0 August 20th 05 12:27 PM
VW Bike Bill Berckman VW air cooled 0 July 5th 05 01:07 AM
leather redo shop in Austin? Scotter Ford Mustang 6 March 23rd 05 09:29 PM