Converting from belt-driven fan to electric fan

Old January 22nd 08, 01:29 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

Default Converting from belt-driven fan to electric fan

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:59:35 -0500, Steve B. wrote:
>
>> drive like there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal
>> and you will save much more fuel.

> Where's the fun in that?!?!?!

Why does everything have to be fun?

Old January 22nd 08, 02:16 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota, alt.autos.subaru, rec.autos.tech
EdV

On Jan 21, 8:29 pm, Jeff > wrote:

> > Where's the fun in that?!?!?!

> Why does everything have to be fun?

Aren't you the same guy who always want people to get a life?
Old January 22nd 08, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

EdV wrote:
> On Jan 21, 8:29 pm, Jeff > wrote:
>>> Where's the fun in that?!?!?!

>> Why does everything have to be fun?
>>

> Aren't you the same guy who always want people to get a life?

Getting a life doesn't mean wasting resources. I also suggest they take
the subway, bus or other public transit, walk or take a bicycle, too.

Jeff
Old January 22nd 08, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:29:12 +0000, Jeff wrote:

> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:59:35 -0500, Steve B. wrote:
>>
>>> drive like there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal
>>> and you will save much more fuel.

>> Where's the fun in that?!?!?!

> Why does everything have to be fun?

Um, you're kidding, right?

Old January 22nd 08, 03:10 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:19:28 +0000, Jeff wrote:

> EdV wrote:
>>> Why does everything have to be fun?
>>>

>> Aren't you the same guy who always want people to get a life?

> Getting a life doesn't mean wasting resources. I also suggest they take
> the subway, bus or other public transit, walk or take a bicycle, too.
>
> Jeff

That's why I drive cars that get better than average fuel economy.

Old January 22nd 08, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota, alt.autos.subaru, rec.autos.tech
EdV

On Jan 21, 10:10 pm, Hachiroku > wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:19:28 +0000, Jeff wrote:
> > EdV wrote:

> >> Aren't you the same guy who always want people to get a life?

> > Getting a life doesn't mean wasting resources. I also suggest they take
> > the subway, bus or other public transit, walk or take a bicycle, too.

> > Jeff

> That's why I drive cars that get better than average fuel economy.

Maybe your subaru may get better mpg and power once you switch to a
electric fan. Belt driven fans uses the engines power, I'm not sure if
the alternator would work much more when you use an electric fan
Old January 22nd 08, 04:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"EdV" > wrote in message
> On Jan 21, 10:10 pm, Hachiroku > wrote:

>> > Getting a life doesn't mean wasting resources. I also suggest they take
>> > the subway, bus or other public transit, walk or take a bicycle, too.

>> > Jeff

>> That's why I drive cars that get better than average fuel economy.

> Maybe your subaru may get better mpg and power once you switch to a
> electric fan. Belt driven fans uses the engines power, I'm not sure if
> the alternator would work much more when you use an electric fan

There probably is not much of a difference in parasitic loss between a belt
or engine driven fan and electrically driven cooling fans. Electric fans
cost more to install than one mounted on the front of the engine, but they
are pretty much the only choice for vehicles with transverse-mounted
engines, since a fan at the side of the engine compartment wouldn't do much.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old January 22nd 08, 04:50 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota, alt.autos.subaru, rec.autos.tech
EdV

On Jan 21, 11:00 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom>
wrote:
> "EdV" > wrote in message

> >> That's why I drive cars that get better than average fuel economy.

> > Maybe your subaru may get better mpg and power once you switch to a
> > electric fan. Belt driven fans uses the engines power, I'm not sure if
> > the alternator would work much more when you use an electric fan

> There probably is not much of a difference in parasitic loss between a belt
> or engine driven fan and electrically driven cooling fans. Electric fans
> cost more to install than one mounted on the front of the engine, but they
> are pretty much the only choice for vehicles with transverse-mounted
> engines, since a fan at the side of the engine compartment wouldn't do much.
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)

On my previously owned BMW E34, it had the belt driven fan and 2
auxiliary fans. I hear the auxiliary fans turn on many times that's
why I assume that the aux fans do most of the work. The aux fans had a
normal and high speed. I do remember replacing my fan clutch years
ago. I was thinking the fan connected to the engine didn't work as
much so as not to draw power from the engine. My aunt had a Toyota
with a 4Y engine many years ago. I'm pretty sure it had both belt fan
and aux electric fans but I'm not sure which fan did much of the
cooling. However since they are called "auxiliary" I would assume they
are just for supplemental cooling.
Old January 22nd 08, 06:30 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"EdV" > wrote in message
> On Jan 21, 11:00 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom>
> wrote:

>> > Maybe your subaru may get better mpg and power once you switch to a
>> > electric fan. Belt driven fans uses the engines power, I'm not sure if
>> > the alternator would work much more when you use an electric fan

>> There probably is not much of a difference in parasitic loss between a
>> belt
>> or engine driven fan and electrically driven cooling fans. Electric fans
>> cost more to install than one mounted on the front of the engine, but
>> they
>> are pretty much the only choice for vehicles with transverse-mounted
>> engines, since a fan at the side of the engine compartment wouldn't do
>> much.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)

> On my previously owned BMW E34, it had the belt driven fan and 2
> auxiliary fans. I hear the auxiliary fans turn on many times that's
> why I assume that the aux fans do most of the work. The aux fans had a
> normal and high speed. I do remember replacing my fan clutch years
> ago. I was thinking the fan connected to the engine didn't work as
> much so as not to draw power from the engine. My aunt had a Toyota
> with a 4Y engine many years ago. I'm pretty sure it had both belt fan
> and aux electric fans but I'm not sure which fan did much of the
> cooling. However since they are called "auxiliary" I would assume they
> are just for supplemental cooling.

Obviously, designers use auxiliary electric fans if the engine-driven fan
doesn't move sufficient air through the radiator and/or air conditioning
condenser. You would probably see this arrangement if the radiator and air
conditioning condenser has a relatively small surface area, like when the
front opening is small, especially in cars with air conditioners.

I believe that in the U.S., the Toyota 4Y engine was used in the first
generation vans and is still used in forklifts. I doubt if your aunt owned
a forklift, so I'll assume that she had the first generation van. The first
generation van had a mid-engine layout mounted behind the front wheels,
under the front passenger seats. The location meant that an engine-mounted
fan would not draw air through the radiator, so additional electric cooling
fans were mounted on the radiator to draw air through it.

Old January 22nd 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

> On my previously owned BMW E34, it had the belt driven fan and 2
> auxiliary fans. I hear the auxiliary fans turn on many times that's
> why I assume that the aux fans do most of the work. The aux fans had a
> normal and high speed. I do remember replacing my fan clutch years
> ago. I was thinking the fan connected to the engine didn't work as
> much so as not to draw power from the engine. My aunt had a Toyota
> with a 4Y engine many years ago. I'm pretty sure it had both belt fan
> and aux electric fans but I'm not sure which fan did much of the
> cooling. However since they are called "auxiliary" I would assume they
> are just for supplemental cooling.

Most of the auxiliary fans are there to provide better airflow over the
AC condenser unit than the engine driven fan can provide at lower
speeds. They are also used in vehicles that have poor airflow
characteristics due to the body design or aerodynamic styling.
On vehicles with small engines they are also used to save some engine power.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!