engine noise in radio

Old March 27th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Marc Gerges

Default engine noise in radio

Dear all --

Since my Miata's back from the dealer, I can hear the engine in the
radio.

I presume they were fiddling at the ignition, because the transmission
belt has been changed. Before I head back to the dealer - is there a
straight forward source of error that I might check myself?

Car is a 94 european MX-5.

Thanks
.\\arc
Old March 28th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

"I can hear the engine in the radio."
My first suggestion would be to take it back to the dealer and make him fix
the problem that he created.
As to what it might be.
Loose antenna cable at radio or at a pigtail plug/socket.
Poor ground at radio, or antenna, or engine.
Bad plug leads.
Non Resistive plugs.
Worn Alternator brushes

"transmission belt has been changed" ?????? Perhaps you mean timing belt?

Miata's are a reasonably simple car, but they do not use a transmission
belt.
So what did the dealer really do, and why did you take it to the dealer.

Old March 28th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Marc Gerges

Chuck > wrote:
> "I can hear the engine in the radio."
> My first suggestion would be to take it back to the dealer and make him fix
> the problem that he created.

I know. It's just some distance away, and I didn't want to take two
hours if there'd only be a cable to juggle to fix it.

> "transmission belt has been changed" ?????? Perhaps you mean timing belt?
>
> Miata's are a reasonably simple car, but they do not use a transmission
> belt.
> So what did the dealer really do, and why did you take it to the dealer.

Timing belt, sorry. I'm not a native english speaker. And that's the
reason I took it to the dealer, the original belt was on it for 13 years
which made a bit nervous.

From looking at the engine, I was guessing the valve cover needed to
come off for that, and therefore the ignition plug cables had to be
removed. The cables look tight and orderly, so I wondered if there's
something else to check.

Thanks,
.\\arc
Old March 28th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

It's quite possible that the spark plug wires were damaged in the process of
removing them.
If the wires are several years old, they need replacing anyway. The standard
recommendation is to use
NGK "blues", an OEM approved replacement carried by most Mazda dealers.
There is a way that you may be able to test the wires, although I have had
poor luck attempting it.
Basicly, an ohm meter is connected to the ends of the lead. While one person
holds the meter probes and the ends of the wire,
A second person wiggles the plug wire. If the wire has any small "opens",
the ohm meter may show an unstable reading.

noise through radio? randy pape Dodge 5 December 19th 06 04:11 AM
Ignitioin noise in car radio mm Chrysler 17 September 15th 06 12:32 PM
New Noise - Engine noise while in Drive - '02 1.8T Quattro CDN_THNK_TNK Audi 8 August 24th 06 04:41 PM
Radio Noise '99 323i [email protected] BMW 3 May 24th 06 07:57 AM
Radio & Tape noise in 91 Vanagon [email protected] VW water cooled 3 January 25th 06 05:59 PM