Painting blower? Exposed cam gears

Old March 21st 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default Painting blower? Exposed cam gears

HI,
Since I have the drive train out and I can never keep it as clean as I
would like, I was considering painting some engine componets. any
pros/cons about painting the blower? I know that white would be best,
but I am sorta partial to aluminium .

Also, recently I saw a pic of a miata with exposed cam/timing gears...is
there any bad things with this arraingment? where caous I get the
differetn valve cover?

Tia,
peter
Old March 21st 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
peter > wrote:

> Also, recently I saw a pic of a miata with exposed cam/timing gears...is
> there any bad things with this arraingment?

Don't open the hood if you're wearing a tie.

> where caous I get the
> differetn valve cover?

Same cam cover. Remove the pertinent part with a hacksaw.
Old March 21st 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Painting in general will reduce the heat transfer by some amount.
Cutting away part of the cover over the timing gear(s) allows more dust and
dirt to get into things, possibly increasing wear.
NB's generally have a cam sensor located in the front part of the cover.
Obviously you don't want to cut this area away, unless the engine is going
to use an aftermarket control system that does not require the cam sensor.
t...

Old March 21st 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-03-21, peter > wrote:

> Since I have the drive train out and I can never keep it as clean as I
> would like, I was considering painting some engine componets. any
> pros/cons about painting the blower? I know that white would be best,

Why would white be best? Black will radiate more heat than
white, but any sort of paint is going to be an insulating layer.

> but I am sorta partial to aluminium .

Isn't the cover alumninum already?

> Also, recently I saw a pic of a miata with exposed cam/timing
> gears...is there any bad things with this arraingment?

Is there anything wrong with exposed gears? Seriously? Have
you noticed how dirty it gets in the engine compartment?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! FOOLED you! Absorb
at EGO SHATTERING impulse
Old March 21st 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article > ,
> peter > wrote:
>
>> Also, recently I saw a pic of a miata with exposed cam/timing gears...is
>> there any bad things with this arraingment?

> Don't open the hood if you're wearing a tie.

whats a tie???

peter
Old March 21st 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-03-21, peter > wrote:

>>> Since I have the drive train out and I can never keep it as clean as I
>>> would like, I was considering painting some engine componets. any
>>> pros/cons about painting the blower? I know that white would be best,

>> Why would white be best?

> you havent been listening to leon have you

Ah, of course. I forgot that white is the fastest color!

>> Is there anything wrong with exposed gears? Seriously? Have
>> you noticed how dirty it gets in the engine compartment?

> i generally keep my accessible areas clean with a spray hose, but i see
> your point.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm thinking it wouldn't take much
of a pebble to make a mess of the timing gears.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! An air of FRENCH
at FRIES permeates my
Old March 21st 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2007-03-21, peter > wrote:
>
>> Since I have the drive train out and I can never keep it as clean as I
>> would like, I was considering painting some engine componets. any
>> pros/cons about painting the blower? I know that white would be best,

> Why would white be best?

you havent been listening to leon have you

>Black will radiate more heat than
> white, but any sort of paint is going to be an insulating layer.
>> but I am sorta partial to aluminium .

> Isn't the cover alumninum already?

yea but it isnt a polished alum...i figure painted would be easier to
keep clean...just asking.

>> Also, recently I saw a pic of a miata with exposed cam/timing
>> gears...is there any bad things with this arraingment?

> Is there anything wrong with exposed gears? Seriously? Have
> you noticed how dirty it gets in the engine compartment?

i generally keep my accessible areas clean with a spray hose, but i see
your point.

thanks,
peter

Old March 22nd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

"peter" > wrote in message >

> whats a tie???

1 to 1, after 3 periods, both starting goalies still in the game....

<---{ LOL }---> you asked

--
" ya gotta let it out, Captain! " ( Jaime Brockett )
Old March 22nd 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm thinking it wouldn't take much
> of a pebble to make a mess of the timing gears.

just 'cause ur paranoid doesnt meant ur not righy!
thanks,
peter
Old March 25th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

That's a serious factor, I think. My car seems to get very sandy / gritty
underhood in between cleanings. The exposed gears would concern me from that
angle.

Chris
99BBB

Painting an E30... Psycho BMW 0 February 4th 07 01:35 AM
Microsoft's Dirty PR Secrets Exposed [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 January 26th 07 05:09 PM
Painting Help 1978CJDon Technology 1 July 23rd 06 05:19 AM
Painting Fiberglass Fred of AZ Ford Mustang 0 June 6th 06 11:27 PM
? Painting your car and blending [email protected] General 0 December 29th 05 02:21 AM