Haynes Repair Manual or Equivalent

Old November 10th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mel P.[_2_]

Default Haynes Repair Manual or Equivalent

Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for 2009
Civics?
I looked online and did not see anything.

--
Mel

Old November 11th 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Mel P." > wrote in
:

> Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for
> 2009 Civics?
> I looked online and did not see anything.

You won't see anything for a few years yet.

And when you do, it will be as crappy as any other Haynes/Chilton.

If all you want to do is figure out where your oil filter is, then go for
the aftermarket stuff. If you will eventually be doing more complex work on
your car, bite the bullet and get the real ($400) thing from the Honda
dealer.

Factory Honda shop manuals are of sparkling quality, containing information
the aftermarket can only dream of.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 11th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

On Nov 10, 4:40*pm, "Mel P." > wrote:
> Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for 2009
> Civics?
> I looked online and did not see anything.

Maybe call 800-998-7498 (from the Chilton web site) and ask when the
2009 manual will be available. I believe the 2009 Civic remains in the
same generation as 2006-08 Civics, so look for manuals covering 2006+
for now. Ebay does indeed have 2006 OEM shop manuals right now, but
they will cost you much more than a Chilton. Your library may have in
its hardcopy reference section the Chilton's for 2006+. Your best and
least expensive bet may be the computers at your public library. They
frequently have an automotive reference center with either Chilton's,
Ebsco, or Alldata. Alldata is the best, since it should be the actual
shop manual. I have been pretty happy with Chilto though on occasion I
need supplementary info from an actual OEM shop manual.

The resources for Civics on the net are all over. Try honda-tech.com
for one for info from DIYers.
Old November 12th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Mel P." > wrote in
> :
>
>> Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for
>> 2009 Civics?
>> I looked online and did not see anything.
>>

> You won't see anything for a few years yet.
>
> And when you do, it will be as crappy as any other Haynes/Chilton.
>
> If all you want to do is figure out where your oil filter is, then go for
> the aftermarket stuff. If you will eventually be doing more complex work on
> your car, bite the bullet and get the real ($400) thing from the Honda
> dealer.
>
> Factory Honda shop manuals are of sparkling quality, containing information
> the aftermarket can only dream of.

Realizing that I only deal with old Hondas, I have found the Haynes Gen
II manual an excellent compliment to the OEM Honda one. In fact, some
of the instructions are better than Honda which, (in my case), used
mostly illustrative instructions.

Maybe they have changed over the years since cars have become infinitely
more complex.

And at $400 for a book, Honda surely is not encouraging
"do-it-yoursuffers"...

JT

Old November 12th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:48:57 -0600, Grumpy AuContraire > wrote:
>Tegger wrote:
>> "Mel P." > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for
>>> 2009 Civics?
>>> I looked online and did not see anything.
>>>

>> You won't see anything for a few years yet.
>>
>> And when you do, it will be as crappy as any other Haynes/Chilton.
>>
>> If all you want to do is figure out where your oil filter is, then go for
>> the aftermarket stuff. If you will eventually be doing more complex work on
>> your car, bite the bullet and get the real ($400) thing from the Honda
>> dealer.
>>
>> Factory Honda shop manuals are of sparkling quality, containing information
>> the aftermarket can only dream of.
>>

>Realizing that I only deal with old Hondas, I have found the Haynes Gen
>II manual an excellent compliment to the OEM Honda one. In fact, some
>of the instructions are better than Honda which, (in my case), used
>mostly illustrative instructions.

>Maybe they have changed over the years since cars have become infinitely
>more complex.

>And at $400 for a book, Honda surely is not encouraging
>"do-it-yoursuffers"...

Sometimes the shop manual can be fairly horrible when it comes to what
really needs to be done. I had a nissen sentra that needed a clutch.
Step 1: remove transmission.... Flip to transmission chapter, step
1: remove shifter....
If you followed their steps, you'd be dissasembling the shifter knob
and bleeding the brakes.

Had an acura integra that needed a new alternator. Shop manual's
procedure was to disassembly the suspension on that side of the car.
Mechanic who did the job for me said that pulling the master cylinder
power assist allowed the job to be done in half the time.

The shop manuals don't always have the best methods of getting jobs
done.

Old November 14th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message
> Tegger wrote:
>> "Mel P." > wrote in
>> :
>>> Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for
>>> 2009 Civics?
>>> I looked online and did not see anything.
>>>

>> You won't see anything for a few years yet.
>>
>> And when you do, it will be as crappy as any other Haynes/Chilton.
>>
>> If all you want to do is figure out where your oil filter is, then go for
>> the aftermarket stuff. If you will eventually be doing more complex work
>> on your car, bite the bullet and get the real ($400) thing from the Honda
>> dealer.
>>
>> Factory Honda shop manuals are of sparkling quality, containing
>> information the aftermarket can only dream of.
>>

> Realizing that I only deal with old Hondas, I have found the Haynes Gen II
> manual an excellent compliment to the OEM Honda one. In fact, some of the
> instructions are better than Honda which, (in my case), used mostly
> illustrative instructions.
>
> Maybe they have changed over the years since cars have become infinitely
> more complex.
>
> And at $400 for a book, Honda surely is not encouraging
> "do-it-yoursuffers"...
>
> JT

I have never seen Honda service manual sold for $400. I ordered one from
helminc.com a few years ago, it was $75. It might be slightly higher now but
shouldn't be that much more.

Old November 16th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake Tegger > :

:

>> Does any one know if Haynes or Chilton or whomever have a manual for
>> 2009 Civics?
>> I looked online and did not see anything.
>>

>You won't see anything for a few years yet.
>
>And when you do, it will be as crappy as any other Haynes/Chilton.
>
>If all you want to do is figure out where your oil filter is, then go for
>the aftermarket stuff. If you will eventually be doing more complex work on
>your car, bite the bullet and get the real ($400) thing from the Honda
>dealer.

I had Chilton that I bought for my 96 Civic. And one I bought for my
72 MGB (both went with the cars). Want to work on the bores? Grab
just about any Chilton. Instructions were word for word. And almost
the same picture, unless you were looking at a very specific part.

>Factory Honda shop manuals are of sparkling quality, containing information
>the aftermarket can only dream of.

But, if you are carrying it in the car, try to keep it low and
centered to avoid upsetting the balance too much. I think my Fit
manual may weigh more than the Fit.

Drinking game. Every time you see "may cause serious injury or death"
take a shot. But only do this two chapters a night.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"Always shoot first. At the very least you'll
distract the guy enough to make the second one count"
-- Lazurus Long