2008 and Premium Gas

Old April 6th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Phil Woolfson

Default 2008 and Premium Gas

I have an 06 mx5 and an 89 f250 (big block>big gulp)
I hav never tried running the Miata on anything other than super, but I did
try economizing on the truck for a # of years. (Ford recommends super for IT
as well) What I found is that I suffered a signifigant loss of power as well
as trouble on hills.
Most front end power adders are all designed to do one thing, get
hydrocarbons to mix with oxygen for increased power and this also adds
milage. Higher octane fuels equal more power.
Buy the Miata, deal with it at the pump, you won't be sorry.

Old April 6th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
CR[_2_]

My '06 MX5 runs OK on mid-grade, but it's a lot more fun with a tank of
premium!

I wonder if there is a significant difference in MPG between grades of fuel?

Old April 7th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

CR > wrote:

> My '06 MX5 runs OK on mid-grade, but it's a lot more fun with a
> tank of premium!
>
> I wonder if there is a significant difference in MPG between
> grades of fuel?

Yes and no. Vehicles equipped with knock sensors will retard the
ignition timing when knock is detected and that will reduce economy and
performance. If you drive with a very light foot so as to never cause
the engine to knock there'll be no difference between fuels but... If
you drive with a very light foot, why did you get a MX5? <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Premium test in 2008 Accord alfred[_3_] Honda 8 February 4th 08 03:41 PM
Premium or Regular Gas ? Double Tap BMW 41 February 2nd 07 11:05 PM
Premium Gasoline [email protected] BMW 27 July 8th 06 05:44 PM
Premium Fuel? [email protected] Mazda 21 March 30th 06 11:14 AM
What is "premium diesel"? [email protected] VW water cooled 9 September 24th 04 05:29 AM