1981 toyota pickup stalls

Old October 27th 05, 09:08 PM
ajj

Default 1981 toyota pickup stalls

I have a 1981 Toyota SR5 pickup truck. It's four-wheel drive, 5-speed
manual transmission, with a 22R engine (2.4L). I've been having an
intermittent problem with it for a while where it stalls when the
engine
reaches idle speed. So, when the problem is present, the truck will
stall
every time I stop or if I hold the clutch in long enough for the engine
reach idle speed. As long as you keep the RPM's up enough, you can
prevent it from stalling.
This problem does not occur at any specific time. It doesn't just
happen
when it's hot or cold or a specific season or whatever, but seems to
occur
randomly. I'll just be driving along and then I can feel it wanting to
stall all of a sudden. I can tell it wants to stall when the truck
starts
bucking and lurching a little. It disappears as fast as it arrives
sometimes, but other times it just keeps stalling and stalling, which
is
extremely annoying in stop and go city traffic. After it stalls and I
restart it, the starting is hard and it seems to crank more than it
should
before it starts. Getting up to freeway speeds for a little while after

the truck has been wanting to stall seems to make the problem go away
most
of the time (at least for a while), but occasionaly the truck does the
bucking on the freeway too.

Thanks

Old October 28th 05, 05:48 PM
Mike Romain

Gas filter almost plugged up?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 28th 05, 06:31 PM
John S.

ajj wrote:
> I have a 1981 Toyota SR5 pickup truck. It's four-wheel drive, 5-speed
> manual transmission, with a 22R engine (2.4L). I've been having an
> intermittent problem with it for a while where it stalls when the
> engine
> reaches idle speed. So, when the problem is present, the truck will
> stall
> every time I stop or if I hold the clutch in long enough for the engine
> reach idle speed. As long as you keep the RPM's up enough, you can
> prevent it from stalling.
> This problem does not occur at any specific time. It doesn't just
> happen
> when it's hot or cold or a specific season or whatever, but seems to
> occur
> randomly. I'll just be driving along and then I can feel it wanting to
> stall all of a sudden. I can tell it wants to stall when the truck
> starts
> bucking and lurching a little. It disappears as fast as it arrives
> sometimes, but other times it just keeps stalling and stalling, which
> is
> extremely annoying in stop and go city traffic. After it stalls and I
> restart it, the starting is hard and it seems to crank more than it
> should
> before it starts. Getting up to freeway speeds for a little while after
>
> the truck has been wanting to stall seems to make the problem go away
> most
> of the time (at least for a while), but occasionaly the truck does the
> bucking on the freeway too.
>
> Thanks

Wow, this goes back a ways, but my 1979 Corona wagon I believe used the
20R which was smaller displacement but esentially the same engine. I
believe the car would stall like that when the distributor contacts got
crudded up. Try replacing cap, rotor and wires.

Old October 28th 05, 07:19 PM
Comboverfish

ajj wrote:
> I have a 1981 Toyota SR5 pickup truck. It's four-wheel drive, 5-speed
> manual transmission, with a 22R engine (2.4L). I've been having an
> intermittent problem with it for a while where it stalls when the
> engine
> reaches idle speed. So, when the problem is present, the truck will
> stall
> every time I stop or if I hold the clutch in long enough for the engine
> reach idle speed. As long as you keep the RPM's up enough, you can
> prevent it from stalling.
> This problem does not occur at any specific time. It doesn't just
> happen
> when it's hot or cold or a specific season or whatever, but seems to
> occur
> randomly. I'll just be driving along and then I can feel it wanting to
> stall all of a sudden. I can tell it wants to stall when the truck
> starts
> bucking and lurching a little. It disappears as fast as it arrives
> sometimes, but other times it just keeps stalling and stalling, which
> is
> extremely annoying in stop and go city traffic. After it stalls and I
> restart it, the starting is hard and it seems to crank more than it
> should
> before it starts. Getting up to freeway speeds for a little while after
>
> the truck has been wanting to stall seems to make the problem go away
> most
> of the time (at least for a while), but occasionaly the truck does the
> bucking on the freeway too.
>
> Thanks

Just addressing the stallng complaint and not the myriad of other
symptoms which may not be directly related--
Perhaps the idle circuit fuel cut solenoid is failing intermittantly.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old October 31st 05, 04:38 PM
ajj

Thanks Toyota MDT in MO it was the idle fuel cut solenoid.
Thanks again !
Fred

Old October 31st 05, 09:03 PM
Comboverfish

ajj wrote:
> Thanks Toyota MDT in MO it was the idle fuel cut solenoid.
> Thanks again !
> Fred

Cool, but you still have other assorted driveability concerns to keep
you busy... Oh joy!

Toyota MDT in MO

1981 toyota pickup stalls ajj 4x4 0 October 27th 05 09:09 PM
Hino *hybride* 240pk diesel in new Toyota fullsize pickup (USA) Willem-Jan Markerink 4x4 14 April 2nd 04 06:48 PM
ALERT TO TOYOTA OWNERS Charlene Blake General 0 January 15th 04 01:50 PM
Toyota pickup in TopGear Willem-Jan Markerink 4x4 6 December 15th 03 02:08 AM