stuck in first -- what do you think?

Old July 20th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
griff

Default stuck in first -- what do you think?

Downshifting on a hill yesterday my bug stalled. Clutch in, she
started up no problem but its now stuck in first. Limped home at 8mph.

Did my due diligence in the Bentley manual as well as the other six
books I have. No joy.
The shifter moves into every position *except* first. I get solid
resistance in that position.
I've looked online and in the back pages of this group and everywhere
on the net I could think of and here's what I've tried so far.

Pulled the refill oil plug on the transmission case.
Tried to pry the ring -- internet posts vary -- forward and backward
trying to get it to "pop into neutral".
No luck.

I've heard of some mechanics using a coat hanger to do something in
there? or people "loosening the nose cone" to get the hockey stick
back into the shift selector.

If I'm wasting my time, let me know and I'll order a rebuilt
(recommendations appreciated) but want to make sure I've exhausted the
options I have in my garage.
( I've never swapped out a motor/transmission before but being laid
off I have the time and my neighbor has a lift and as mentioned I have
the manuals and can get a BugMe video.)

thanks
-griff
Old July 20th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
griff

Oh, forgot to mention. The bushing under the rear seat is fine.
Old July 20th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Jul 19, 10:24*pm, griff > wrote:
> Oh, forgot to mention. The bushing under the rear seat is fine.

What about the bush at the front of the shift rod?
Old July 20th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> If I'm wasting my time, let me know and I'll order a rebuilt
> (recommendations appreciated) but want to make sure I've exhausted the
> options I have in my garage.

I am sorry, I have never had that problem.
If you decide to order a transmission, I recommend this place:
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...FT0001&cartid=

That's where I order the important stuff like alternator, carburetor,
etc.

> ( I've never swapped out a motor/transmission before but being laid
> off I have the time and my neighbor has a lift and as mentioned I have
> the manuals and can get a BugMe video.)
>
> thanks
> -griff

If you can pull the engine, you can pull the tranny.
Old July 20th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
griff

On Jul 20, 11:13*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> *What about the bush at the front of the shift rod?

thanks for that tip. I'll check that.

Old July 20th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
griff

On Jul 20, 11:42*am, griff wrote:
> On Jul 20, 11:13*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> ..
>
> > *What about the bush at the front of the shift rod?

> thanks for that tip. I'll check that.

Front bushing looks alright.

Is it possible to get the nose cone loose enough while on the car
enough to fiddle with the hockey stick and selectors?
Old July 20th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

griff wrote:

> Downshifting on a hill yesterday my bug stalled. Clutch in, she
> started up no problem but its now stuck in first. Limped home at 8mph.
>
> Did my due diligence in the Bentley manual as well as the other six
> books I have. No joy.
> The shifter moves into every position *except* first. I get solid
> resistance in that position.
> I've looked online and in the back pages of this group and everywhere
> on the net I could think of and here's what I've tried so far.
>
> Pulled the refill oil plug on the transmission case.
> Tried to pry the ring -- internet posts vary -- forward and backward
> trying to get it to "pop into neutral".
> No luck.
>
> I've heard of some mechanics using a coat hanger to do something in
> there? or people "loosening the nose cone" to get the hockey stick
> back into the shift selector.
>
> If I'm wasting my time, let me know and I'll order a rebuilt
> (recommendations appreciated) but want to make sure I've exhausted the
> options I have in my garage.
> ( I've never swapped out a motor/transmission before but being laid
> off I have the time and my neighbor has a lift and as mentioned I have
> the manuals and can get a BugMe video.)

What happens when you try to shift into 2nd while moving?

With the car stationary, what happens if you try to move off in
2nd? From memory, 1st and 2nd share a selector sleeve.

What about trying to move off in 3rd, 4th or reverse?

I've had a beetle stick in 1st because a detent ball had been
left out of the gearbox.

I've also had a Subaru break a selector so that I got 2 gears
simultaneously at highway speeds. The front (drive) wheels
locked up and the car made a completely uncontrolled stop.
After the shock wore off, I drove to the next town in neutral
(which was then 4th gear).

Both of the above problems required a transmission overhaul. The
beetle just needed a detent, but the Subaru needed most gear sets
to be replaced.

John

Old July 20th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> Is it possible to get the nose cone loose enough while on the car
> enough to fiddle with the hockey stick and selectors?

....sorry, I have had no experience with that.

This link might help:
http://www.vw-resource.com/transmiss...eshooting.html
Old July 20th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
griff

On Jul 20, 1:12*pm, John Henderson > wrote:

> What happens when you try to shift into 2nd while moving?

The motor bogs down and the car stalls.
The car is stuck in 1st even thought the shift position is in neutral.
I can't actually move the shifter up into the 1st gear position,
there's serious resistance there.
So, neutral = first.
Any other gear position stalls the car.

> With the car stationary, what happens if you try to move off in
> 2nd? *From memory, 1st and 2nd share a selector sleeve.

Same. The resistance stops the motor.

> What about trying to move off in 3rd, 4th or reverse?

Same thing.

> I've had a beetle stick in 1st because a detent ball had been
> left out of the gearbox.

I checked that today as well. Seems alright there.

> I've also had a Subaru break a selector so that I got 2 gears
> simultaneously at highway speeds. *The front (drive) wheels
> locked up and the car made a completely uncontrolled stop.
> After the shock wore off, I drove to the next town in neutral
> (which was then 4th gear).

Wow. That must've been some kind of scary.

> Both of the above problems required a transmission overhaul. *The
> beetle just needed a detent, but the Subaru needed most gear sets
> to be replaced.
>
> John

Sounds more and more like a rebuilt transmission may be in the cards.

Old July 20th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Jul 20, 3:20*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> > Is it possible to get the nose cone loose enough while on the car
> > enough to fiddle with the hockey stick and selectors?

> ...sorry, I have had no experience with that.
>
> This link might help:http://www.vw-resource.com/transmiss...eshooting.html

Check this if you can:
http://www.vw-resource.com/troubleshooting.html#manual

# Locked in gear.

1. Lock pin or interlock pin missing.*

2. Coupling pin for shift rod loose or missing.

Now that's stuck DougW[_2_] Jeep 8 January 21st 09 03:32 AM
Stuck CD Jarrod Smith Ford Explorer 3 April 16th 08 11:18 PM
Stuck In The Wilderness... What Would You Do? Dave Head Driving 5 December 8th 06 02:46 AM
Stuck distributor... help! Joe W. Ford Mustang 7 December 27th 05 03:21 AM
stuck window hey_blue Honda 4 September 1st 05 03:49 AM