1987 Golf front strut bearings

Old October 29th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
fortfun

Default 1987 Golf front strut bearings

Replaced the front struts on this approx 3000 miles (5 years) ago, but
didn't replace the
strut bearings. Now they need replacing, but i have forgotten the
configuration
of the strut/spring/bearing/etc (it's been 5 years). After removing
the spring/strut assembly, do I need to compress the spring and
disassemble the unit to get at the bearing? And, is the bearing an
integral part of the mount on this model ('87 GL)?

Thanks . Ken
Old October 30th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

fortfun wrote:
> Replaced the front struts on this approx 3000 miles (5 years) ago, but
> didn't replace the
> strut bearings. Now they need replacing, but i have forgotten the
> configuration
> of the strut/spring/bearing/etc (it's been 5 years). After removing
> the spring/strut assembly, do I need to compress the spring and
> disassemble the unit to get at the bearing? And, is the bearing an
> integral part of the mount on this model ('87 GL)?
>
> Thanks . Ken

yes and sort of.

I believe that you can use VR6 style strut bearings on an A2, but you
need to change another couple parts out. They're supposed to be much
more durable. Probably only worth it if you plan on keeping the car
another decade or so.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 30th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

Nate Nagel > wrote:
>fortfun wrote:

>> Replaced the front struts on this approx 3000 miles (5 years)
>> ago, but didn't replace the strut bearings. Now they need
>> replacing, but i have forgotten the configuration of the
>> strut/spring/bearing/etc (it's been 5 years). After removing the
>> spring/strut assembly, do I need to compress the spring and
>> disassemble the unit to get at the bearing? And, is the bearing
>> an integral part of the mount on this model ('87 GL)?

>yes and sort of.

>I believe that you can use VR6 style strut bearings on an A2, but you
>need to change another couple parts out. They're supposed to be much
>more durable. Probably only worth it if you plan on keeping the car
>another decade or so.

If it's a late-enough 87, then the stuff from the early A3 will
fit. It could well be cheaper as well. Even genuine. The original
dust-cap won't fit over the top though.

Replacement with the deep-groove ball-bearing type strut mount
tightens up the front of the car noticeably.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Science is the belief in
X against HTML mail | the ignorance of the experts.
/ \ and postings | -- Richard Feynman
Old November 7th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

"Bernd Felsche" > wrote in message
news
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>fortfun wrote:

>>> Replaced the front struts on this approx 3000 miles (5 years)
>>> ago, but didn't replace the strut bearings. Now they need
>>> replacing, but i have forgotten the configuration of the
>>> strut/spring/bearing/etc (it's been 5 years). After removing the
>>> spring/strut assembly, do I need to compress the spring and
>>> disassemble the unit to get at the bearing? And, is the bearing
>>> an integral part of the mount on this model ('87 GL)?

>>yes and sort of.

>>I believe that you can use VR6 style strut bearings on an A2, but you
>>need to change another couple parts out. They're supposed to be much
>>more durable. Probably only worth it if you plan on keeping the car
>>another decade or so.

> If it's a late-enough 87, then the stuff from the early A3 will
> fit. It could well be cheaper as well. Even genuine. The original
> dust-cap won't fit over the top though.
>
> Replacement with the deep-groove ball-bearing type strut mount
> tightens up the front of the car noticeably.
> --
> /"\ Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
> \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Science is the belief in
> X against HTML mail | the ignorance of the experts.
> / \ and postings | -- Richard Feynman

The strut bolt goes through the bearing. You barely have to compress it to
get it off.