C4 brakes and rotors

Old August 20th 04, 07:45 PM

Default C4 brakes and rotors

Could someone help me out with an estimate to replace all 4 pads a
rotors on a 1996 C4. I've gotten estimates from $1100 to $1600.
Old August 20th 04, 08:59 PM
Joel Jacobs

> wrote in message
om...
> Could someone help me out with an estimate to replace all 4 pads a
> rotors on a 1996 C4. I've gotten estimates from $1100 to $1600.

I just spent about $200 for OEM brake pads. $200 for front two rotors. The
rear rotors should run around $110.

That's around $500 in parts, might cost you $600 or so in parts. Find an
independent garage to do the labor.

Old August 20th 04, 10:41 PM
Grayfox

If this is the first brake job for your 1996..you can most likely just get
the rotors cut down for $15-20 bucks each..in most cases the rear rotors
are usually good.....doing a brake job is really pretty simple and not too
difficule as long as you are not replacing the calipers.....those estimates
are a big rip off...

Old August 20th 04, 11:29 PM
Vetluver

> wrote in message
om...
> Could someone help me out with an estimate to replace all 4 pads a
> rotors on a 1996 C4. I've gotten estimates from $1100 to $1600.

If you really want to keep it cheap you can replace your pads and if your
rotors are true and it doesn't shake when you put your brakes on, you might
just freshen the surface with fine sandpaper on a die grinder. Don't get too
aggressive just get the shiny surface rough. My first set of rotors lasted
105k miles and were still going strong when I upgraded to Alcons. The rest
of the brake job is the same as the service manual calls for.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Old August 22nd 04, 05:33 AM

I stuck around when they dropped the tires and there was lots of rust
around the rotors. I guess this is what was causing the occassional
grinding noise. It seemed like a lot more than you would try to sand
off. I'm embarassed to say that I haven't taken great care of the car
these last couple years and it's been around in the snow a bit and not
in the garage which we just rebuilt. Some of the brake lines were
rusted too and the mechanic warned me that they might go one day too.

Old August 23rd 04, 04:40 PM

Would you mind commenting on my follow-up question at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...ing.google.com

Brakes. Again ian Audi 4 December 22nd 04 04:58 AM
97 M3-floating rotors or After market solid rotor? Abs BMW 12 December 18th 04 10:23 PM
BMW 525I 2001- BRAKES CHANGES AND SENSOR EFFICIENCY AGIND BMW 4 December 12th 04 11:48 AM
New Brakes Grinding....HELP!!! elmo BMW 5 October 14th 04 02:12 PM
E38 740i 1996 -- front end "shimmy" when braking. Could it be JUST the rotors? Hugh Gundersen BMW 2 September 20th 04 06:53 PM