early 80's rabbits still around?

Old May 28th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Max Power[_4_]

Default early 80's rabbits still around?

used to own a 80 diesel rabbit, was thinking another one gas or diesel would
make a good commuter car. Are these things still around? are they still
cheap?

Old May 28th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:10:44 GMT, "Max Power" > wrote:

>used to own a 80 diesel rabbit, was thinking another one gas or diesel would
>make a good commuter car. Are these things still around? are they still
>cheap?

If you live in an area with salt from the oceans or ice control they
are not around. Where I live they are crushed as they appear in
junkyards even though they are not rusty.
Old May 28th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

m...

Old May 28th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Max Power[_4_]

"None4You" > wrote in message
et...

> "Max Power" > wrote in message
> m...
>> used to own a 80 diesel rabbit, was thinking another one gas or diesel
>> would make a good commuter car. Are these things still around? are they
>> still cheap?
>>
>>Yes and Yes and No. They are around , and can be bought cheap or
>>expensive. If you find one local, sitting up. you can get it cheap. In
>>other words . Search. Keep your eyeballs open driving around. If you
>>want one Ebay, you have to pay market value. Auto trader might show
>>something. And Edmunds too. Unfortunately you are just a bit behind the 8
>>ball. Little cars are taking off in price. I know where there is a well
>>worn 87 Golf diesel for sale that's been sitting .But runs . And needs all
>>the rotables . I mean tires, brakes , exhaust, belts, hoses. probably
>>timing belt and glow plugs. The whole shot. That car has been for
>>advertised sale for an honest 10 years for $750 with no takers. I might of
>>looked at that car in 93 and passed at $750. Now he's jacked it to $1400.
>>I have no idea what he's thinking.

all the ones I'm seeing online are going for $1500-$3000

Old May 29th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

m...

Old May 29th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Max Power[_4_]

"None4You" > wrote in message
et...

> "Max Power" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "None4You" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>>
>>> "Max Power" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>> all the ones I'm seeing online are going for $1500-$3000 _ _ >>I'm having
>> a difficult time thinking that car is worth $1500 after sitting for 10
>> years with no buyer at $750. And needs everything. If that's the case my
>> 86 should pull $3000 if I weld a floor in it. That cars not worth more
>> now. The dollars worth half. And he's hoping for an idiot.

technicaly I own a 81 FI rabbit, its sitting in my inlaws backyard in Idaho.
Father inlaw rebuilt the engine and it sat there, I bought it for $100 and
could never get it to run. Best I could do was get it to start breifly. Well
I'm in Ohio now and he was going to sell it if he could, thats been 2 years
or so.

Old June 21st 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Keith

On May 29, 6:49*am, "Max Power" > wrote:
> "None4You" > wrote in message
>
> et...
>

> > "Max Power" > wrote in message
> om...

> >> "None4You" > wrote in message
> >>news:rIadnQu7TbCNT6DVnZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@centurytel .net...

> .com...

> >> all the ones I'm seeing online are going for $1500-$3000 _ _ >>I'm having
> >> a difficult time thinking that car is worth $1500 after sitting for 10
> >> years with no buyer at $750. And needs everything. If that's the case my
> >> 86 should pull $3000 if I weld a floor in it. That cars not worth more
> >> now. The dollars worth half. *And he's hoping for an idiot.

> technicaly I own a 81 FI rabbit, its sitting in my inlaws backyard in Idaho.
> Father inlaw rebuilt the engine and it sat there, I bought it for $100 and
> could never get it to run. Best I could do was get it to start breifly. Well
> I'm in Ohio now and he was going to sell it if he could, thats been 2 years
> or so.- Hide quoted text -

I have a very nice 82 Rabbit that I drive regularly but it's almost
the only one left in town. The old Rabbits are becoming pretty scarce
- at least those that are drivable - even here in rust-free
California.

Old June 21st 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I still see a few Rabbits here in Chicago. Most of the sedans are rusted,
but maybe 1or 2 might be clean since they probably came from another state.
lol
Convertible Rabbits (Cabriolets) are still around but some of them are as
new as 1992 though.
I can still find the 1984-1986 Cabriolets once and a while for sale.
I have even seen a couple of Rabbit Diesels, but those carry 4-digit prices!
<g>

Put another way I see more A/C Beetles than I do Rabbits! 8^)
--
later,
dave

Old June 22nd 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

Heres my baby. Now with Euro bumpers.

http://www.vwot.org/community/module...7/Rabbit1a.jpg

Old June 22nd 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Where is this........Canada maybe Ontario?