86 diesel exhaust question

Old September 4th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
86GolfDiesel

Default 86 diesel exhaust question

any reason why I need to install a resonator/c.converter? will
performance be affected without it? MPG?

If go from the manifold, to the muffler, with out the above, what can
I expect?
Old September 4th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

more noise maybe

Old September 4th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

Old September 4th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

"None4You" > wrote in message
>>The 85-86 diesel didn't come with a resonator. The 86 jetta did. You can
>>put it on if you want. I would refuse to put a resonator on an ancient
>>diesel golf. Its not noisy. I've been using the parts place exhaust on
>>my diesel golfs for a couple of decades. I get many years out of their
>>exhaust . quality is high. There's a tool to remove the C clamps from
>>the manifold easily. I've not been able to get them back on without it.
>>Its $200 for the whole setup. 1-243-373-2300

I guess for financial reasons....skip the resonator, but does it cost that
much more?
Yeah that tool makes it mighty easy to install, although I used to force
them back on with great difficulty and it was NOT fun!
There are some instructions on how to make a tool that is supposed to work
fairly well and is cheap to make.

Old September 4th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

I just used to jam a large bolt insto the clamp. Install it on the car &
then heat the bolt until it folds & VOILA!!!

Craig

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message

> "None4You" > wrote in message
>>>The 85-86 diesel didn't come with a resonator. The 86 jetta did. You can
>>>put it on if you want. I would refuse to put a resonator on an ancient
>>>diesel golf. Its not noisy. I've been using the parts place exhaust on
>>>my diesel golfs for a couple of decades. I get many years out of their
>>>exhaust . quality is high. There's a tool to remove the C clamps from
>>>the manifold easily. I've not been able to get them back on without it.
>>>Its $200 for the whole setup. 1-243-373-2300

> I guess for financial reasons....skip the resonator, but does it cost that
> much more?
> Yeah that tool makes it mighty easy to install, although I used to force
> them back on with great difficulty and it was NOT fun!
> There are some instructions on how to make a tool that is supposed to work
> fairly well and is cheap to make.

86 Diesel exhaust repair 86GolfDiesel VW water cooled 0 September 2nd 08 02:19 AM
Just purchased a 86 Golf Diesel. I have a oil question and right axle question. 86GolfDiesel VW water cooled 13 August 21st 07 04:59 AM
Another exhaust question Mel P. Jeep 2 December 24th 05 01:03 AM
NIZKOR Lies about Toxicity of Diesel Exhaust Gas G.Bartels Technology 8 May 31st 05 12:15 AM
'82 cj7 exhaust question [email protected] Jeep 7 January 24th 05 07:49 PM