Replace 92 GMC fullsize truck fuel pump: Cutting access panel

Old August 10th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
Terry[_7_]

Default Replace 92 GMC fullsize truck fuel pump: Cutting access panel

I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my 92 GMC Yukon. 2 years
ago I replaced the fuel tank, and it was truly a miserable job. Yeah,
should have replaced the pump then!

Newer vehicles sometimes have a access panel in the rear floor so the
pump can be replaced without dropping the fuel tank. I decided I
wanted one, so I carefully sized and cut a rectangular section out,
replaced the pump and reconstructed the floor as a panel I could open
again if really needed..

Pictures are better than words for this, so if you're interested, take
a look at:
http://terryking.us/photoalbum/v/SHD/yukon-fuelpump/

OTHER DATA: A new pump has a resistance of 11 Ohms. The 'bad' pump,
with 140,000 miles on it, had a resistance of 60 to 70 ohms (probably
worn-out brushes).. Perhaps an occasional checkup on your older
truck would include measuring the pump resistance. I think this pump
was slowly dying for a while... I had a funny light-throttle surging
problem that went away with the new pump..

Thanks for the help I've gotten in the past here and across he Net!

Regards, Terry King ..In The Woods In Vermont

Old August 10th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Terry wrote:
> I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my 92 GMC Yukon. 2 years
> ago I replaced the fuel tank, and it was truly a miserable job. Yeah,
> should have replaced the pump then!
>
> Newer vehicles sometimes have a access panel in the rear floor so the
> pump can be replaced without dropping the fuel tank. I decided I
> wanted one, so I carefully sized and cut a rectangular section out,
> replaced the pump and reconstructed the floor as a panel I could open
> again if really needed..
>
> Pictures are better than words for this, so if you're interested, take
> a look at:
> http://terryking.us/photoalbum/v/SHD/yukon-fuelpump/
>
> OTHER DATA: A new pump has a resistance of 11 Ohms. The 'bad' pump,
> with 140,000 miles on it, had a resistance of 60 to 70 ohms (probably
> worn-out brushes).. Perhaps an occasional checkup on your older
> truck would include measuring the pump resistance. I think this pump
> was slowly dying for a while... I had a funny light-throttle surging
> problem that went away with the new pump..
>
> Thanks for the help I've gotten in the past here and across he Net!
>
> Regards, Terry King ..In The Woods In Vermont

good job. here's a more elegant idea for you though - why not just go
to a junkyard, find a similar truck, and cut a larger piece out of the
floor. then cut it down to maybe 1-2" longer in each direction than the
hole you made, screw it to the floor with sheet metal screws.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 10th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
Terry[_7_]

> go to a junkyard, find a similar truck,

Good idea, Nate!

.... Although I am deeply hurt by the idea that a truck "just like
mine" could be found in a Junkyard :-)

Regards, Terry King
Old August 10th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
Steve W.[_4_]

Terry wrote:
>> go to a junkyard, find a similar truck,

> Good idea, Nate!
>
> ... Although I am deeply hurt by the idea that a truck "just like
> mine" could be found in a Junkyard :-)
>
> Regards, Terry King

Just saw a 2008 in a yard yesterday. Had what looked like minor damage
to the nose but it had been totaled out. (to expensive to repair)

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old August 21st 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

I did much the same with my 1989 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer. One of the best
aftermarket mods I've ever made.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old August 22nd 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
None4You

"Stormin Mormon" > wrote in message
>I did much the same with my 1989 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer. One of the best
> aftermarket mods I've ever made.
>
> --
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
> www.lds.org
> .
>

> "Terry" > wrote in message
> I recently had to replace the fuel pump on my 92 GMC Yukon. 2 years
> ago I replaced the fuel tank, and it was truly a miserable job. Yeah,
> should have replaced the pump then!
>
> Newer vehicles sometimes have a access panel in the rear floor so the
> pump can be replaced without dropping the fuel tank. I decided I
> wanted one, so I carefully sized and cut a rectangular section out,
> replaced the pump and reconstructed the floor as a panel I could open
> again if really needed..
>
> Pictures are better than words for this, so if you're interested, take
> a look at:
> http://terryking.us/photoalbum/v/SHD/yukon-fuelpump/
>
> OTHER DATA: A new pump has a resistance of 11 Ohms. The 'bad' pump,
> with 140,000 miles on it, had a resistance of 60 to 70 ohms (probably
> worn-out brushes).. Perhaps an occasional checkup on your older
> truck would include measuring the pump resistance. I think this pump
> was slowly dying for a while... I had a funny light-throttle surging
> problem that went away with the new pump..
>
> Thanks for the help I've gotten in the past here and across he Net!
>
> Regards, Terry King ..In The Woods In Vermont

I like it too. But I'm not taking a fuel tank pump out to check it. If it
comes out its getting replaced.

Old August 27th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.trucks.chevy
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

That sounds like the proper way to go. Modern vehicles are less servicable
than the old ones.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
I just did my 89 S-10 pickup. A gigantic pain. If I had it to do over
again I would remove the bed.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:34:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"