Remove and replace gas tank

Old November 30th 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Remove and replace gas tank

Looks like the fuel pump went out in my 99 mustang. Looking at
instructions for RRing the pump it appears there are a bunch of rubber
hoses and gaskets for various things, fuel filler and emissions
control system that all have to come apart to get the tank out. No
mention was made in what I've seen so far about lubing the tubing when
putting it back together. I don't want these things to leak and was
wondering if a thin application of silicone grease would be a good or
bad idea to help prevent leaks or should I just put everything back
together dry?
Old November 30th 15, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> Looks like the fuel pump went out in my 99 mustang. Looking at
> instructions for RRing the pump it appears there are a bunch of rubber
> hoses and gaskets for various things, fuel filler and emissions
> control system that all have to come apart to get the tank out. No
> mention was made in what I've seen so far about lubing the tubing when
> putting it back together. I don't want these things to leak and was
> wondering if a thin application of silicone grease would be a good or
> bad idea to help prevent leaks or should I just put everything back
> together dry?

I don't normally lube hoses unless there is no other way.
IMO, silicone is a bad idea. Hate to have it come off while driving.
Clean and dry is better but if you have to lube it then use gasoline.

Old December 4th 15, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:30:30 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> Looks like the fuel pump went out in my 99 mustang. Looking at
>> instructions for RRing the pump it appears there are a bunch of rubber
>> hoses and gaskets for various things, fuel filler and emissions
>> control system that all have to come apart to get the tank out. No
>> mention was made in what I've seen so far about lubing the tubing when
>> putting it back together. I don't want these things to leak and was
>> wondering if a thin application of silicone grease would be a good or
>> bad idea to help prevent leaks or should I just put everything back
>> together dry?

>I don't normally lube hoses unless there is no other way.
>IMO, silicone is a bad idea. Hate to have it come off while driving.
>Clean and dry is better but if you have to lube it then use gasoline.

Good idea, hadn't thought that the gas would make a decent lube while
wet.
Old December 5th 15, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 00:23:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:30:30 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> wrote:
>
>>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>> Looks like the fuel pump went out in my 99 mustang. Looking at
>>> instructions for RRing the pump it appears there are a bunch of rubber
>>> hoses and gaskets for various things, fuel filler and emissions
>>> control system that all have to come apart to get the tank out. No
>>> mention was made in what I've seen so far about lubing the tubing when
>>> putting it back together. I don't want these things to leak and was
>>> wondering if a thin application of silicone grease would be a good or
>>> bad idea to help prevent leaks or should I just put everything back
>>> together dry?

>>I don't normally lube hoses unless there is no other way.
>>IMO, silicone is a bad idea. Hate to have it come off while driving.
>>Clean and dry is better but if you have to lube it then use gasoline.

>Good idea, hadn't thought that the gas would make a decent lube while
>wet.

Got the pump replaced. What a pain to get the tank out. Seems like a
million vapor and gas lines to disconnect. And the filler tube is a
real pain. Wound up breaking off the anti-siphon valve from the end
of the filler tube when the tank shifted as I was lowering it. It
*could* have been designed better so it was easier to get the dang
thing out. New pump and it runs again.

Funny thing about when the old pump was not working. Even though the
pump was not working I was able to start the car with a bit of priming
and it continued to run. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it and the
pressure remained zero. I thought maybe the fitting was somehow
clogged even though I had taken the shrader valve out. Took the gauge
off while the car was running and no fuel at all came out of the test
port (no valve in it) on the fuel rail. Yet the car kept running and
I would even rev it up. Put it in gear to put a load on it and while
it didn't run as smoothly as normal it still ran with the load
applied. I would conclude that the engine vacuum was able to pull
enough fuel thru the system, even with the pump not running, to allow
the engine to run. With the new pump there is again pressure in the
fuel rail. Altogether the whole pump assembly is fairly bulky, the
actual pump is really quite small, only about an inch, inch and a half
in diameter and 3 or 4 inches long.
Old December 5th 15, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 00:23:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:30:30 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't normally lube hoses unless there is no other way.
>>> IMO, silicone is a bad idea. Hate to have it come off while driving.
>>> Clean and dry is better but if you have to lube it then use gasoline.

>> Good idea, hadn't thought that the gas would make a decent lube while
>> wet.

> Got the pump replaced. What a pain to get the tank out. Seems like a
> million vapor and gas lines to disconnect. And the filler tube is a
> real pain. Wound up breaking off the anti-siphon valve from the end
> of the filler tube when the tank shifted as I was lowering it. It
> *could* have been designed better so it was easier to get the dang
> thing out. New pump and it runs again.
>
> Funny thing about when the old pump was not working. Even though the
> pump was not working I was able to start the car with a bit of priming
> and it continued to run. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it and the
> pressure remained zero. I thought maybe the fitting was somehow
> clogged even though I had taken the shrader valve out. Took the gauge
> off while the car was running and no fuel at all came out of the test
> port (no valve in it) on the fuel rail. Yet the car kept running and
> I would even rev it up. Put it in gear to put a load on it and while
> it didn't run as smoothly as normal it still ran with the load
> applied. I would conclude that the engine vacuum was able to pull
> enough fuel thru the system, even with the pump not running, to allow
> the engine to run. With the new pump there is again pressure in the
> fuel rail. Altogether the whole pump assembly is fairly bulky, the
> actual pump is really quite small, only about an inch, inch and a half
> in diameter and 3 or 4 inches long.

Good to know. Thanks!
Does the pressure remain up when turned off?

Old December 7th 15, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:45:38 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 00:23:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:30:30 -0600, Paul in Houston TX

>>> Good idea, hadn't thought that the gas would make a decent lube while
>>> wet.

>> Got the pump replaced. What a pain to get the tank out. Seems like a
>> million vapor and gas lines to disconnect. And the filler tube is a
>> real pain. Wound up breaking off the anti-siphon valve from the end
>> of the filler tube when the tank shifted as I was lowering it. It
>> *could* have been designed better so it was easier to get the dang
>> thing out. New pump and it runs again.
>>
>> Funny thing about when the old pump was not working. Even though the
>> pump was not working I was able to start the car with a bit of priming
>> and it continued to run. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it and the
>> pressure remained zero. I thought maybe the fitting was somehow
>> clogged even though I had taken the shrader valve out. Took the gauge
>> off while the car was running and no fuel at all came out of the test
>> port (no valve in it) on the fuel rail. Yet the car kept running and
>> I would even rev it up. Put it in gear to put a load on it and while
>> it didn't run as smoothly as normal it still ran with the load
>> applied. I would conclude that the engine vacuum was able to pull
>> enough fuel thru the system, even with the pump not running, to allow
>> the engine to run. With the new pump there is again pressure in the
>> fuel rail. Altogether the whole pump assembly is fairly bulky, the
>> actual pump is really quite small, only about an inch, inch and a half
>> in diameter and 3 or 4 inches long.

>Good to know. Thanks!
>Does the pressure remain up when turned off?

It remained after the engine was off a minute or two. I checked and
fuel came out when I pushed the valve in.. Don't know if it stays up
for hours.
Old December 7th 15, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:45:38 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> > wrote:
>
>> Ashton Crusher wrote:

>>> Got the pump replaced. What a pain to get the tank out. Seems like a
>>> million vapor and gas lines to disconnect. And the filler tube is a
>>> real pain. Wound up breaking off the anti-siphon valve from the end
>>> of the filler tube when the tank shifted as I was lowering it. It
>>> *could* have been designed better so it was easier to get the dang
>>> thing out. New pump and it runs again.
>>>
>>> Funny thing about when the old pump was not working. Even though the
>>> pump was not working I was able to start the car with a bit of priming
>>> and it continued to run. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it and the
>>> pressure remained zero. I thought maybe the fitting was somehow
>>> clogged even though I had taken the shrader valve out. Took the gauge
>>> off while the car was running and no fuel at all came out of the test
>>> port (no valve in it) on the fuel rail. Yet the car kept running and
>>> I would even rev it up. Put it in gear to put a load on it and while
>>> it didn't run as smoothly as normal it still ran with the load
>>> applied. I would conclude that the engine vacuum was able to pull
>>> enough fuel thru the system, even with the pump not running, to allow
>>> the engine to run. With the new pump there is again pressure in the
>>> fuel rail. Altogether the whole pump assembly is fairly bulky, the
>>> actual pump is really quite small, only about an inch, inch and a half
>>> in diameter and 3 or 4 inches long.

>> Good to know. Thanks!
>> Does the pressure remain up when turned off?

> It remained after the engine was off a minute or two. I checked and
> fuel came out when I pushed the valve in.. Don't know if it stays up
> for hours.

Sounds good.