VW Beetle tire question

Old November 12th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
86GolfDiesel

Default VW Beetle tire question

myy 99 beetle has 205-55-16. Stock. Looking at snow tires. 215-55-16.
Will these be too wide? will they work?
Old November 12th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

www.tirerack.com has lots of 205 tires listed. A 215 will work though.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:03:30 -0800 (PST), 86GolfDiesel

Old November 13th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Note that the middle number (55) means that the height is 55 percent
of the width (205 mm.)

so... a 215/55/16 would be taller and wider than a 205/55/16.

Having a taller tire will affect all kinds of things including your
speedometer. Not only that, but a narrower tire is better in the
snow. Reconsider that snow tire size!
Old November 17th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

"Ears" > wrote in message
> Note that the middle number (55) means that the height is 55 percent
> of the width (205 mm.)
>
> so... a 215/55/16 would be taller and wider than a 205/55/16.
>
> Having a taller tire will affect all kinds of things including your
> speedometer. Not only that, but a narrower tire is better in the
> snow. Reconsider that snow tire size!

Absolutely, You need a narrower tire. a relatively taller % to keep it
the same height. , Maybe a 195/65/16 or 185/70/16. Or get the size you
have.

Old November 17th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Nov 16, 9:35*pm, "None4You" > wrote:
> "Ears" > wrote in message

> > Note that the middle number (55) means that the height is 55 percent
> > of the width (205 mm.)

> > so... a 215/55/16 would be taller and wider than a 205/55/16.

> > Having a taller tire will affect all kinds of things including your
> > speedometer. *Not only that, but a narrower tire is better in the
> > snow. *Reconsider that snow tire size!

> Absolutely, *You need a narrower tire. a * relatively taller *% *to keep it
> the same height. *, Maybe a 195/65/16 or 185/70/16. Or get the size you
> have.

A narrower tire will require a different wheel - keep that in mind as
well. There is some tolerance in tire-size and aspect-ratio for a
wheel of a given size and width. But not all 16" diameter tires will
fit on all 16" diameter wheels.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 20th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Nov 17, 7:56*am, " > wrote:

> A narrower tire will require a different wheel -

I don't know about the specific tyre/car/wheel combination, but
some narrower tyres will fit on an OEM rim. I don't suggest doing so
unless you have confirmed that they are compatible and not that they
will physically fit. Places like TireRack can provide information on
what combinations are possible and safe.

Generally it is best to use a more narrow tyre for snow. You get
better traction.

Old November 22nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Nov 11, 10:03*pm, 86GolfDiesel
> wrote:
> myy 99 beetle has 205-55-16. Stock. Looking at snow tires. 215-55-16.
> Will these be too wide? will they work?

For Winter tyres you want then less wide not wider for best snow
performance. Modern winter tyres are called Winter tyres rather than
Snow tyres. They are using different technology than the old Snow
tyre designs.
Old November 22nd 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

AFAIK
Blizzak tires maybe?
And keep the narrower size so they can cut through the snow like a knife!
;-)

Old November 23rd 08, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

> wrote in message
On Nov 16, 9:35 pm, "None4You" > wrote:
> "Ears" > wrote in message

> > Note that the middle number (55) means that the height is 55 percent
> > of the width (205 mm.)

> > so... a 215/55/16 would be taller and wider than a 205/55/16.

> > Having a taller tire will affect all kinds of things including your
> > speedometer. Not only that, but a narrower tire is better in the
> > snow. Reconsider that snow tire size!

> Absolutely, You need a narrower tire. a relatively taller % to keep it
> the same height. , Maybe a 195/65/16 or 185/70/16. Or get the size you
> have.

A narrower tire will require a different wheel - keep that in mind as
well. There is some tolerance in tire-size and aspect-ratio for a
wheel of a given size and width. But not all 16" diameter tires will
fit on all 16" diameter wheels.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

It might require a different wheel. But it depends on the tire requirement
in wheel,diameter. It just needs to be measured.