Self-leveling Shocks vs. Gas Shocks

Old September 13th 05, 08:47 PM
Scott

Default Self-leveling Shocks vs. Gas Shocks

I have a '92 525i Touring and both rear accumulators and one self-leveling
rear shock is toast...meaning it will cost $1,250 to replace. I can convert
the car to gas shocks for about $900 (both prices include labor).

My question is, if I replace the hardware with new springs, good gas
shocks, etc., will there be any suspension issues to be concerned about? I
don't haul heavy loads but I also don't want the car to sag in the rear
when I fill up full of gas. Thanks!

- Scott
Old September 14th 05, 12:01 AM
Mark K

I just replace the rear shocks on my '94 325is. For KYB gas, self adjusting
shocks including labor for $300. Check around, I think you're paying way to
much. They are very easy to replace yourself to save money. My mechanic only
charged $50 labor and that included installing new upper shock mounts.

Old September 14th 05, 05:04 AM
Zoonosis

"Scott" > wrote in message
>I have a '92 525i Touring and both rear accumulators and one self-leveling
> rear shock is toast...meaning it will cost $1,250 to replace. I can
> convert
> the car to gas shocks for about $900 (both prices include labor).
>
> My question is, if I replace the hardware with new springs, good gas
> shocks, etc., will there be any suspension issues to be concerned about? I
> don't haul heavy loads but I also don't want the car to sag in the rear
> when I fill up full of gas. Thanks!

If you can afford to fill the tank with gas, why bother about saving a few
bucks on shocks...?

;-)

Old September 14th 05, 06:07 AM
tom

hi
if y mean the gapring for the rear / front hood y may find a supplier
for the original one's at:

www.gaspringcenter.com

as well parts for trucks and busses

tom

Old September 14th 05, 06:08 AM
tom

hi

if y need gas springs for the front /rear hood y may contact

www.gasspringcenter.com

experts for gas springs

tom

Old September 14th 05, 06:11 AM
tom

mean
www.gasspringcenter.com
tom

Old September 14th 05, 07:57 AM
JB

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I have a '92 525i Touring and both rear accumulators and one self-leveling
> rear shock is toast...meaning it will cost $1,250 to replace. I can

convert
> the car to gas shocks for about $900 (both prices include labor).
>
> My question is, if I replace the hardware with new springs, good gas
> shocks, etc., will there be any suspension issues to be concerned about? I
> don't haul heavy loads but I also don't want the car to sag in the rear
> when I fill up full of gas. Thanks!

This is the main reason I got a non-self-levelling E34 Touring. Very
expensive business when these shocks fail. I think your $900 is money well
spent as this is not a trivial job to do properly (remove all s/l components
and pipes and blank off pump connections etc...).
See if you can get some stiffer (not shorter) springs though.

JB

heavy-duty shocks for 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham? Steve B. Technology 1 August 4th 05 07:06 PM
noisy shocks? northstar Ford Explorer 5 July 13th 05 06:20 PM
Monroe Shocks for 2000 JGC / Sensatrac or Reflex ?? Joe Jeep 1 June 20th 05 03:12 AM
2003 Ford Ranger Shocks and Tire Cupping Helvis Technology 7 February 27th 05 06:44 AM
Load leveling T&C shocks ? Zork Chrysler 13 February 10th 05 02:25 PM